Discussion Ominke Atoll (feasibility of a man-made launch site)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
...they have Boxing day as official public holdiday?? :rofl:

.... its one in Germany as well.... :huh: ... we just call it second day of Christmas...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think that was moonwars, although the beef is not so much about launch facilities, but about manufacturing spacecraft with Nanotechnology, which has been outlawed by the UN. So the corporation bribes Kiribati to not sign the charter and build their production plants and launch facilities there (launch facilities being not much more than airports at the prevailent techlevel, really).

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
While we're still vaguely on topic with respect to launch facilities, I should mention that in-universe, Ominke isn't actually a launchsite for the Aquarius B1 or Verseau-M because it has spacing issues; I didn't envision it being very big even before Kuria was chosen as its location, mainly because it was to be a man-made island.

I've established elsewhere that there are four launchpads on OMK; International Launch Complex Heavy-22 (or ILC H-22), ILC H-21, ILC H-00, and ILC S(mall)-01.

All the Heavy pads are used by a family of HLVs that IPSA and its partners operate, the S-01 pad is used for a family of small solid rockets and a Falcon 1-ish launch vehicle.

Because of a general lack of space, there is a secondary launch site at CCAFS, from which both the Aquarius and Verseau launch from, called ILC M(edium)-32. ILC M-32 is the only leased launchpad IPSA has at CCAFS, and is, at the moment, the only pad that can support the Aquarius or Verseau. This is meant to change, since the Aquarius' evolution borrows significant heritage from those aforementioned HLVs, including an increased diameter upper stage.

This means that ILC M-32 can't support this evolution, so it was always meant to be based from OMK, on one of the Heavy pads. The issue was interfacing the Aquarius to a existing launchpad without significantly altering that pad.

Because of this, there's a launchpad standard now, so the AqrB1, Verseau, and those HLVs can all use it interchangeably. The result is that when I make OMK, the Aquarius won't be on the same launchpad configuration it would have at CCAFS. It'll look more like that crude render below.

WKl9yuq.jpg

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
See, look what you've done. Now I want to read it. :lol:

You should, it's good stuff!

Nice looking LUT (it's not that crude a render). I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :cheers:
The south Pacific is starting to get crowded with launch sites (it's all good).

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
...they have Boxing day as official public holdiday?? :rofl:

Is that strange? Hmph. I guess being so close to Canada I take it for granted! I go to Victoria every year to check out boxing day sale week. :thumbup: