On orbit spacecraft construction

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I was just curious. I know that you can build space stations on orbit, but are there any actual constructable large spacecraft that you can assemble from parts on orbit ? It would be really cool to say build something like the "Discovery" from "2001" on orbit with multiple missions and then fly the thing off into the solar system.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Well, Theoretically you could use Space Station Building Blocks to build something that looks like a ship, and then attach some sort of engine to it (Like a DG or your own module) and propel it that way...

Turbinator

Reaction score
What we really need is a module, just like any space station modules. Except, it has RCS positions and its main positions and strengths set to act like a spaceship, so that once all the other modules are docked it's a complete ship, with correct offsets, and you go back to that special module, and that module itself is the ship, with the 3d cockpit attached to it, and all controls tied to it.

Anyone here know what I am talking about?

Ark

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4087"]The Inter-Planetary Stack[/ame]

This is a neat little set of ship components. SSBB components also make a a good stack, provided you can keep things balanced on the thrust line. Having RCS thrusters offset from the center of the ship can be inconvenient, but it's manageable if you're not trying to dock or do really fine maneuvering. Most important is to just make sure you maintain that thrust line balance so it doesn't slide off in the wrong direction during a burn.