Orbiter 2006 on Linux Walkthrough

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very interesting. Wine's come a long way. Last time I tried was 3 years ago. I got the launch pad working without fonts, managed to run Orbiter at... 4 fps.

Fixerger

Reaction score
Do you have videocard drivers installed on your linux distribution? (Nvidia blob/Ati cataclysm or open version/etc). Direct rendering - ON? Compiz should be OFF. Ati works really bad with wine. Maybe i will try newest beta on my debian.

New info. Won't work in anyway on my R9600xt (d3d7 and ogla). It's videocard's driver fault.

Thank you for winetricks btw!

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do you have videocard drivers installed on your linux distribution? (Nvidia blob/Ati cataclysm or open version/etc). Direct rendering - ON? Compiz should be OFF. Ati works really bad with wine. Maybe i will try newest beta on my debian.

GeForce 6600 GT card and I had drivers...

It wasn't the hardware... it was a pre 0.97 wine version. 0.97 made reportedly made a lot of improvements.
I probably didn't have a few DLLs as well, as the sky was black...

Fixerger

Reaction score
hmm.. try a new version which is 1.2 at the moment.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
That's it, ubuntu 10.04, wine 1.2, nvidia geforce 8800 GTS 512 with proprietary drivers, intel C2D E6700, 4GB ram. Orbiter runs at 7 fps with desktop compositing off, keyboard seems to work at entirely random intervals, no HUD, orange MFDs, switching the display mode makes the surface textures dissapear, etc.

Reinstalling windows 7 on my secondary HDD tonight.

Ikyrotz

Reaction score
So I just tried Orbiter 2010 on an XP guest with VMWare's free VMWare Player 3 software. The guest OS was allocated 1.5 GB of RAM, and of course VMWare's 3D acceleration options were enabled. All the other hardware specs were the same as my last run.

Using the DirectX 7 client, I got pretty poor result. The most noticeable is the rendering of stars: they come out as massive gray blocks that fill the sky. Frame rates were pretty poor, as well. I think I saw 6-7 FPS, max.

Next, I tried Artlav's OGLA client. This worked significantly better. I was seeing upwards of 70-80 fps, probably with an average of 30-40. Not great, but playable. The rendering was mostly flawless, and some aside jerky motion aside, it looked fine. I was going to post a screenshot, but there's no point as it looks just like a normal Orbiter session. So "good job" to Artlav, I suppose. :)

I'd be interested in if you ran into any problems at any point with this set up. I'm trying to run Orbiter in virtualized XP, using either VMware Player or VirtualBox. With VMware Player, my specs are the same as far as the virtual computer goes, my host is Fedora 12 with a different video card, though. The 3D acceleration works in the guest and my experiences with running Orbiter with the DirectX client are similar to yours. However, I run into troubles running Orbiter_ng with ogla client.

Specifically, as soon as I launch, VMware Player annouces there has been a problem with the OpenGL drivers and 3D acceleration will be deactivated. Orbiter window remains blank. The logs of the virtual machine say that "glXMakeContextCurrent() failed!" which makes me think that the problem is with the OpenGL drivers in my host, but can't figure out what those might be, glxgears runs just fine.

Did you happen to run into such issues (or anyone else) and if so, how did you solve them?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I'd be interested in if you ran into any problems at any point with this set up. I'm trying to run Orbiter in virtualized XP, using either VMware Player or VirtualBox. With VMware Player, my specs are the same as far as the virtual computer goes, my host is Fedora 12 with a different video card, though. The 3D acceleration works in the guest and my experiences with running Orbiter with the DirectX client are similar to yours. However, I run into troubles running Orbiter_ng with ogla client.

Specifically, as soon as I launch, VMware Player annouces there has been a problem with the OpenGL drivers and 3D acceleration will be deactivated. Orbiter window remains blank. The logs of the virtual machine say that "glXMakeContextCurrent() failed!" which makes me think that the problem is with the OpenGL drivers in my host, but can't figure out what those might be, glxgears runs just fine.

Did you happen to run into such issues (or anyone else) and if so, how did you solve them?

I've been able to get Orbiter 2010 w/ OGLAclient to run very well under Wine without Virtual Box. (Orbiter 2006 never ran well at all, and even earlier 2009 Betas with OGLAClient weren't really usable). I do get crashes in any scenario with Multistage, and Burn Time Calc MFD doesn't seem to work (along with a few others), and recently any attempt to use the camera dialog has crashed Orbiter (the camera dialog actually worked at first, but is now giving me trouble). You can also expect framerates to be cut approximately in half if you don't set the executable bit on the *.exe.