Orbiter 2016 - RC.1

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is Orbiter compatible with Mac?
If your talking about being compatible with iOS, then no. Orbiter is 100% a Windows application.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

I remember having this once or twice a while back. Using windows 7.
Never ever seen it, on any OS.

MikeB

Reaction score
Is Orbiter compatible with Mac?

Orbiter can't run as a Mac-native app, but it runs (slowly) on Windows in a virtual machine (e.g., Parallels Desktop), or (quickly) on Windows in Apple's BootCamp facility. In either case, you need to purchase Windows. This is how I run Orbiter.

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I remember having this once or twice a while back.
It rang a bell here too, but I don't know what the exact solution was, nor what the reason was, nor what forum it was asked in
...one with more forum-search-foo is needed :)

Keatah

Reaction score
pretty sure I saw the double names in XP. I'll check it again shortly.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I saw double (Current scenario) on Win 8.1

Another topic:
Martins, would W.I.N.E. compatibility be one of your priorities for maybe an after-release patch? Currently running through Wine doesn't seem to work.

aldarion

Reaction score
I am getting an error: MSVCR120.dll missing

I think we need a list of requirements for Orbiter 2016.

Like: microsoft redistributable 2013 ???

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I am getting an error: MSVCR120.dll missing

I think we need a list of requirements for Orbiter 2016.

Like: microsoft redistributable 2013 ???

Do you get this error with a vanilla RC.1 installation without _any_ external packages?

Orbiter 2016 has been compiled with VS2008, so should only require MSVCR90. There may be some older contributed binary modules (in particular planet ephemerides dlls) which could have been linked against older runtimes, but nothing in the core Orbiter distribution should require anything newer than R90.

Can you try to MSI installer? This should automatically install the required runtimes, if not present.

Edit: having said that, it just occurs to me that I _may_ have compiled zlib with VS2013. I'll check that.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Martins, would W.I.N.E. compatibility be one of your priorities for maybe an after-release patch? Currently running through Wine doesn't seem to work.
Sure, if somebody can tell me what's required. I remember that Orbiter _used_ to run on Wine, and I recall that once upon a time I managed to run it via Wine myself. I haven't tried for a long time though. What's the problem with the current version?

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Sure, if somebody can tell me what's required. I remember that Orbiter _used_ to run on Wine, and I recall that once upon a time I managed to run it via Wine myself. I haven't tried for a long time though. What's the problem with the current version?
Right now all I can tell is that the Launchpad doesn't start at all, but I haven't started any serious debugging yet. I will do it soon though, since you're interested.

aldarion

Reaction score
Do you get this error with a vanilla RC.1 installation without _any_ external packages?

Orbiter 2016 has been compiled with VS2008, so should only require MSVCR90. There may be some older contributed binary modules (in particular planet ephemerides dlls) which could have been linked against older runtimes, but nothing in the core Orbiter distribution should require anything newer than R90.

Can you try to MSI installer? This should automatically install the required runtimes, if not present.

Edit: having said that, it just occurs to me that I _may_ have compiled zlib with VS2013. I'll check that.

I get this error in Vanilla RC1.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Right now all I can tell is that the Launchpad doesn't start at all, but I haven't started any serious debugging yet. I will do it soon though, since you're interested.

Lubuntu 16.04 with wine-1.9.14; Orbiter launches but displays no scenarios.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-07-14 17-12-12.png
    Screenshot from 2016-07-14 17-12-12.png
    129 KB · Views: 37

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually, I had to fist enter the Orbiter folder through a terminal, before launching Orbiter with wine there - and then I could see the scenarios. It loaded fine, but tiles loading made the computer hang.

EDIT: Upon second execution, it worked; however there are those artifacts when using the detailed tiles.

Attachments

• 0000.jpg
    0000.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The "Orbiter on Wine/Linux" discussion should be made in a different thread I think, I'm confused already ;)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That one totally caught me by surprise !

:blink: :blink: :blink: *passes out*

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
First time with the D3D9 client and I had trouble closing out the program on exiting. Unable to reproduce though. (I hadn't yet made a symbolic link, so it's probably on me).

Looks fantastic!

Windows10 btw.

Last edited:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When running Orbiter.exe ClearType text gets disabled. I've checked to ensure it wasn't a freak occurrence and it happens at every Orbiter.exe launch. ClearType re enables itself automatically upon exiting Orbiter. Is this normal?

I am running Windows 7.

Edit:

I just realized that this is due to a Performance Option setting.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, Orbiter 2016 + DX3D9 Client work flawlessly on Win10 x64, excellent framerate on an old config.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
The Surface mode HUD always used to have a little marker pointing to the direction of the spaceport you were headed to. I see the .doc still says it's there, in Section 14.3. But I can't bring it up. It neither triggers off a spaceport selected in an MFD, nor using CTRL-R. How do I get the blasted surface marker to work?

I've found the surface marker always appears when the .SCN defines your vessel on a launchpad; your marker always points to that launchpad. You can never select any other spaceport, and if you exit and re-start that scenario, if you've moved off the pad, there's no surface marker because you're no longer on a launchpad.

So it looks like the code that defined the surface marker off the map mode's surface target isn't working.

This is a big deal for me; I really use that pointer in the HUD during re-entry to tell me which way I need to go. I can't believe I'm the only one.