OHM Orbiter Base Maker V2.0.3

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
One last question,
How do I convert from Lat/long to Surface Tile?

{...}

Does anyone have the maths or can give me a URL because I have spent hours and found nothing of use.
Surftile coordinates:
[math]x=longitude\cdot\frac{2^{(level+8)}}{180}[/math]
[math]y=latitude\cdot\frac{2^{(level+8)}}{180}[/math]
You could also get it from converting the formulas I gave you on the "[Problem] Exact size of tiles" thread.

You round down the result to integer to get the number for the file name. The fraction part tells you how far you are from edge of the tile. Longitude is in -180 to 180 range, latitude in -90 to 90.

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
FYI, this is the formula I used for calculating tiles. It's in C++

PHP:
//inputs are:
//int level; //the tile level
//LonLatPoint point; //the point of interest in Longitude/Latitude

double boxPerDegrees = 128./45.;
    boxPerDegrees *= (pow((double)2.,(double)level)/2);

int x, y;
    x = (int)(point.getLongitude()*boxPerDegrees);
    if(point.getLongitude() < 0)
        --x;
    y = (int)(point.getLatitude()*boxPerDegrees);
    if(point.getLatitude() < 0)
        --y;

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think post 103 was meant for me. If it was then it kind of went over my head a bit.
However my spread sheet is all but done. Intend to write a "how to" this evening and post it on Sunday.

cslevine

Reaction score
Wonderful software !!!
The easyest way to make and understand tiles in Orbiter.

i have one question :

with Base Maker v.1.0.7 we could have an automatic transparancy "button" effect which is very helpful to have some quick good results in Orbiter. I mean this effect :

Earth_4_W3456_S0261.jpg

in v1.1.2 it this feature has gone, so that would have to do this effect manually for each tile with picture editor... Well, the better is to use transparancy eraser and make the "detourage" of the beaches, but for each tile ...

could you put this feature back, or was there some issue for that ?

but anyway, Thank you very lot for this useful freeware :thumbup:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One solution is to select all the tiles, right-click and save as a (huge) image. Then apply transparency (and some corrections you want to too) and save the new transparent image. Then, with all the tiles still selected, load your image into Orbiter Base Maker.

cslevine

Reaction score
Oh yes, thank you ! it's very well that OBaseMaker disassemble and reassemble PNG to DDS automatically ! More easy than having to edit one by one and convert manually.

one question :

would it be possible, later, to view real meshes into the object editor ?
having lots of bases with mesh to have to change position to make good with tiles...

one bug : ( not severe because a work around )

crash when try to importing Orbiter bases which contains
MAPOBJECTTOSPHERE = TRUE
===> edit first the base.cfg, delete this line, then import is OK.
after export, don't forget to add again the line manually.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
OBM doesn't have any planets or moons hardcoded into it. It gets that information from the sol.cfg file. The planet/moon does need to have a radius greater than 50km before OBM recognizes it as a body big enough to have a base though.

EDIT: FYI, I've found a mesh-file parsing bug. If there was a "GEOM" entry with 0 vertices, OBM would return it as a failure. The next version OBM will just ignore those GEOM entries.
The Radius is greater then 50km
Code:
; === Physical Parameters ===
Mass =  68574901753.472            ; kg
Size =  221.817143654121            ; radius in meters

mesh file lists
Code:
GEOM 3245 4092
OBM still does not recognize planet number 9 in sol.cfg

I really need some help with this. Also surface base wizard will not list it either. I have no way as of now to get the coordinates to get the meshes to the surface of the planet they are inside of the mesh.

UPDATE: Disreguard this whole post! I screwed up on the meters to KM. If a mod would like to delete this post feel free...it is useless.
I changed it to the minimun of 50000 meters...now it shows up in OBM
Code:
; === Physical Parameters ===
Mass =  68574901753.472            ; kg
Size =  50001            ; radius in meters
I will change it back later

Last edited:

cslevine

Reaction score
one stupid question again :
i'm looking for this transparancy marble effect in some graphic software
Earth_4_W3456_S0261.jpg

in Paint Shop Pro : there is no way.
maybe with a plugin into Phhotoshop ?
or is that possible with GIMP ?

thank you, because, having to manually erase some parts of a tile with eraser brush, doesn't make at all the same effect. it makes it dizzy in Orbiter.

or, maybe, the comeback in Base Maker 1.1.4 ?
:)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Earth_4_W3456_S0261.jpg

or is that possible with GIMP ?
For GIMP:

In Layers "Add Layer Mask" (white) for the layer with image. Use Blend Tool with white to black gradient (RGB or HSV - they are the same for grayscale), Shape = Square, Offset > 0, equal to the percentage of the area that should be fully opaque.

Start dragging with that tool from bottom-left corner to top-right corner. Holding CTRL will constrain angles (e.g. to 45 degrees). You can do other shapes (e.g. Radial) or start from the center if you want different transparency effects.

When finished you can export the image to DXT5 DDS or to other formats supporting alpha channel that you next will convert to a DXT5 DDS file using external utility.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
One interesting possibility would be to download tiles from http://www.mapaplanet.org/
That would cover:
Mercury
Venus
Moon
Mars
Jupiter's Moons
Saturn's Moons

I think that this link http://www.mapaplanet.org/explorer/help/wmsUserDoc.html provides some support regarding access to the individual tiles.

I haven't investigated regarding copyright, but I don't think there's any problem with that data.

You could use the tiles for positioning bases on planetary bodies taking into account small surface features. The amount of data (and the resolution possible) is fantastic.

Last edited:

cslevine

Reaction score
Thank Yoooouuuu :salute:

[edit]

Well it's the mask.
i never worked with masks, because never had too. But in any drawing software ( well not any... not Paint X-D ) there is a mask layer,
then working with shapes, paintbrushs, but with gray levels, make geometrical shape as whished,

-> and apply the mask layer, as method done with drawing software (Toshop, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp,... )

and save the PNG with alpha transparancy ( or "existing transparancy" or so on )

we can also work with all brushs like an easer ( on another mask layer )

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
It looks as the current version reverted to using Google tiles. I can read their water mark on the ocean areas for example.

I don't work for them so it's indifferent for me.
But means more work because I have to locate and past the Landsat images by hand.

I liked the possibility to download the Landsat tile... Can we have it back? Am I missing something?

(Update: I managed to locate on my PC a previous version that feature Landsat download and transparent edges. I can live with installing - uninstalling different versions, but can that old version be made available somewhere? )

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
OBM throw up an error message when a loading a base cfg file that contains the extended RUNWAYLIGHTS options implemented in the D3D9/11 clients. The error message is "Problem loading: RUNWAYLIGHTS".

Last edited:

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OBM throw up an error message when a loading a base cfg file that contains the extended RUNWAYLIGHTS options implemented in the D3D9/11 clients. The error message is "Problem loading: RUNWAYLIGHTS".

I did some quick research, are the following all the new options, and are they all a single floating point value?

decision_dist, td_dist, td_length, approach_start.

Also, if you have an example .cfg file I could use for testing, that would help.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I did some quick research, are the following all the new options, and are they all a single floating point value?

decision_dist, td_dist, td_length, approach_start.

Also, if you have an example .cfg file I could use for testing, that would help.
Details as well as an example can be found in the documentation for the D3D9Client.

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Found it. Thanks.

Looks like it's time to refactor my "base objects" code to be more dynamic. And keep it backwards compatible... Curses.

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Hi - I really like the Tile List Editor in OBM.

I use it on a custom planet (alternative earth). But I have on issue with it. When I right-click on a tile and ->"Save tile to image file" it uses only the "Background" to generate images. However I Level 1 images in the textures directory. From that I want to generate Level 2 image to paint stuff on them .

As you can see in the attachments, my base is on that cape (attached OBM_tile1_notile2.jpg). And I expected the higher level tiles (level 2 and better) to be derived from the already present level 1 tiles. But it only uses the background (attached tile2.png).

I hope this can be addressed in a future update. (And I hope my explanation was clear enough)

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• OBM_tile1_notile2.jpg
    OBM_tile1_notile2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 26
  • tile2.png
    tile2.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 13

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi - I really like the Tile List Editor in OBM.

I use it on a custom planet (alternative earth). But I have on issue with it. When I right-click on a tile and ->"Save tile to image file" it uses only the "Background" to generate images. However I Level 1 images in the textures directory. From that I want to generate Level 2 image to paint stuff on them .

As you can see in the attachments, my base is on that cape (attached OBM_tile1_notile2.jpg). And I expected the higher level tiles (level 2 and better) to be derived from the already present level 1 tiles. But it only uses the background (attached tile2.png).

I hope this can be addressed in a future update. (And I hope my explanation was clear enough)

Thanks a lot!

Just tried that out, and you found a bug.

If you right-click then save on ONE image tile, what you described happens.

If you highlight more than one tile, right-click then save, I think what you want to happen will happen.

I'll try to get that fixed. Someday I will get around to making an update.

tm212

Reaction score
this is now officially one of my favorite add-ons for orbiter.. big thanx to csanders