Project Orbiter Battle Simulation Project Needs Developers!

Ark

Reaction score
Finally, I can't wait for my UMMUs to be able to shoot each other.

Be sure to include laser weaponry for airless or zero-g combat.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Be sure to include laser weaponry for airless or zero-g combat.
Why would you need lasers for space combat? Guns work in space, you know. :)

To quote Mass Effect, "Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a :censored: in space," referring to ballistic weapons.

Actually, ballistic weapons have already been tested in space, aboard an Almaz (Salyut) space station.

Wonderer

Reaction score
No offence but...Leave it to mother Russia to test weapons where no one has ever tested them. :cheers:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, they were actually worried about American attempts to board the station!

It should be interesting if this project proceeds to see how space battle tactics will evolve around the simulated capabilities.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
No offence but...Leave it to mother Russia to test weapons where no one has ever tested them. :cheers:

Dont you mean "Mother Soviet union"?

And i think this will appeal to half of the orbiter community including me. But i can see this having compatibility patches for like an orbiter economy mod and a orbiter nations mod so that you can fight ai nations trying to destroy your moon-base because you deserted them and you have limited money and limited men to fly your ships etc.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Why would you need lasers for space combat? Guns work in space, you know. :)

Yes, and they work better than portable lasers. The problem is that we would have to redesign them a little, change the lubricants and have them made as modular as possible because a firearm on the Moon would have to deal with that pesky regolith stuff that clings to your moving parts tighter than an umbrella street salesman on a rainy day.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
because if you fire a rifle, you won't know where you end up ;)
Yes, firing a rifle would be similar to firing a thruster. If you hold the weapon away from your centre of mass, you begin to rotate, and the weapon will also propel you. I assume RCS thrusters would have to compensate for that.

And don't even get started on machine-guns... :shifty:

And the way the body responds to movement of the limbs in space is going to play hell with aiming...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, firing a rifle would be similar to firing a thruster. If you hold the weapon away from your centre of mass, you begin to rotate, and the weapon will also propel you. I assume RCS thrusters would have to compensate for that.

Ooooorrrrr you just place two guns that produce equal angular momentum and fire them simultaneously. It won't get rid of linear momentum - it'll double it in fact - but it will get rid of angular momentum.

One big advantage of (powerful) lasers in space over projectile or particle weapons is that you don't have to deal with the recoil and aiming it is magnitudes easier then aiming a projectile weapon. The flight time of laser to the target is short and a laser is immune to the effects of magnetic fields produced by... the Sun, the planets or even the target (a defensive mechanism).

Ark

Reaction score
One big advantage of (powerful) lasers in space over projectile or particle weapons is that you don't have to deal with the recoil and aiming it is magnitudes easier then aiming a projectile weapon. The flight time of laser to the target is short and a laser is immune to the effects of magnetic fields produced by... the Sun, the planets or even the target (a defensive mechanism).

Hence why a laser weapon, though not technically feasible right now, would be the ideal weapon for fictional zero-g combat. It doesn't even need to be that powerful, just good enough to punch a little hole in a suit...

Wonderer

Reaction score
Well he's french.

(No offence,just humor :) )

This can actually be used for space piracy, you know boarding space stations stealing there coolant system pumps and then hiding them on the moon is a lot of fun :cheers:

pieterpret

Reaction score
please send me a download link. i'd like to mess around with it for a bit:)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
nice. I am currently busy with getting all the SPAce1999 Stuff put together. But I have seen where the Eagles had missiles.

Any thought about Lasers

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do we get UCGO combat vehicles?

Unfortunately not, since UCGO's SDK doesn't let you create vehicles (only way to do it is in a CFG file). As far as I can tell, the SDK just lets you add cargo functionality to a vessel....

Any thought about Lasers

I think we're going to try to implement lasers... they're kinda hard to do though. You could fire an invisible vessel travelling at the speed of light, but then vessels that intersect the "beam" won't take damage. We're thinking though :)