Project Orbiter Battle Simulation Project Needs Developers!

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Where can I get a link to this?

You can't. The thing is in the first beta stage and doesn't have much user content yet, which is why we're keeping it for a few beta testers.

Hopefully from v0.2 onwards there will be enough user content to allow us to release it for beta testing :)

Don't ask when that will be. Not even we know...

Polaris

Reaction score
I'm ready to test this! Please give me the project files, and I'll send you the reports.

hribek

Reaction score
I think I'm willing to participate if this addon comes with a private enterprise that specializes on cleaning up the mess. Waste disposal trucks, orbital debris removers, that sort of thing.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys, a heads up: The local light sources feature in the coming Orbiter will be epic for this. If you see BSG, you'll see that the missiles leave behind a trail and when they are near a ship, they illuminate it. That wasn't possible with orbiter, and it looked lame. Hopefully you guys will incorporate this in due time :thumbup:

Attachments

• lbbomb.jpg
    lbbomb.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 38

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Uh... yeah. The lightsource thing is awesome, but we have to get the missles to work first. They'd be pretty quick too, I doubt you'd be able to see much...

Perhaps the effect would be better when combined with nukes, but a nuke blast in space would only last a fraction of a second...

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If you see BSG, you'll see that the missiles leave behind a trail and when they are near a ship, they illuminate it. That wasn't possible with orbiter, and it looked lame. Hopefully you guys will incorporate this in due time :thumbup:

It wouldn't exactly be realistic, you wouldn't have such a tight trail in a vacuum.

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Perhaps the effect would be better when combined with nukes, but a nuke blast in space would only last a fraction of a second...

Instead of using a nuke as a nuke, why not use it as the power source of an X-Ray laser? It was one of the technologies considered for SDI back in the '80s.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The "light trail" special effect is simulating what a bright light in motion leaves on your retina, vacuum or not. When you see car headlights go by in the dark at high speed, they leave a temporary streak on your retina. And missiles just being launched are fast, but not too fast to see, because they are starting from zero speed.

As for the flash from nukes, that would be epic. It would be quick, but flashes also linger on your retina for about half a second. Watch the trees outside during the next thunderstorm when lightning flashes.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Uh... yeah. The lightsource thing is awesome, but we have to get the missles to work first. They'd be pretty quick too, I doubt you'd be able to see much...
What do you mean by "work"? Guidance-wise, or actually blowing-stuff-up-wise?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What do you mean by "work"? Guidance-wise, or actually blowing-stuff-up-wise?

All of the above.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just a wee bit back on topic, I'm trying as my first scripting project to make a simple autopilot for the DG-C. Essentially, null relative velocity to a target, point at it, and once Rvel = <0.001, release an attached vessel (a missile or whatever...just a simple test idea.)
Being unfamiliar with both LUA and Orbiter's API, this could take a while. Any pointers? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of help in the Script folder (although some of the examples are useful)...

nidhugg

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ooh, weapons!

Love this idea! Had some thoughts myself (or dreams really) to develop something like this. First of all for the vessel to vessel collission. But later on also crude simulation of some other physics-things that is not done yet in orbiter - radiation, explosions, particle systems (liquids and gases leaking for example).

Have you thought about creating something more generic and API-like that vessels or other modules could use? For example if I would like to add radiation sources to my ship or spawn an explosion on some system failure, could I use one of your functions to do it?
And what about adding standard setups for ships that don't include any use of such functions?

Also, how will your module interact with Orulex?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Have you thought about creating something more generic and API-like that vessels or other modules could use? For example if I would like to add radiation sources to my ship or spawn an explosion on some system failure, could I use one of your functions to do it?
And what about adding standard setups for ships that don't include any use of such functions?

Yep.

Also, how will your module interact with Orulex?

Interact... as much as any vessel interacts with Orulex. But we didn't build it with Orulex in mind.

nidhugg

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice :thumbup:

I saw the videos. You use the radius for collision detection. Any plans for mesh-to-mesh collision?

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
Wow, I can't count the number of times I've daydreamed about a realistic space combat simulator (Orbiter-based or otherwise) on the walk to my old day job... Best of luck with this. I'd love to be a beta tester, but I unfortunately don't have the time right now. I'll keep checking in, though, for sure.

I'm a little uneasy about sullying our peaceful Orbiter with associations of war, but we've known since before Aristotle that all stories require conflict, and what conflict is more immediately compelling and interesting than the armed kind?

Edit:
I drew this a while ago for a similar topic, but y'all might get a kick or some ideas out of it.
space_gunship.jpg

Only armored on the front side and the tops of the radiators, big tube of propellant in the center, whole thing a little bigger than a space shuttle... Probably a little more stylin' than a real combat spaceship would be, but since it's a simulator, visual and auditory cues have to make up for the lack of real danger. We'll say it's bulked up to withstand the stress of evasive jinking.

The idea would be that a large crewed carrier would take these guys to the battle zone, whereupon it would launch them, then hang back and act as a kind of AWACS, picking out targets from civilian traffic and debris. These half-dozen or so AI-controlled gunships would then close with and engage the enemy, and be recovered or not depending on their trajectories. They've got all three "traditional" space weapons (laser, railgun, nuke) for you to try out.

Last edited:

Seahawk72s

Reaction score
Vessel to vessel collision detection

Quote by RisingFury; "Vessel to vessel collision detection - Vessels physically react to collisions. Damage is also taken off."

I appreciate what you are saying about orbital velocities but for a ground based effect this would be a good plus. With low velocities you open up the possibility of a push effect with and transfer of object momentum. Cutom tugs,trucks,tractors..? Maybe take the collision damage factor to another level if possible where objects are give a strength\integerity rating, say between 1-10. Where an object of 10 can crush an object of 1 with little or no damage to itself.

Thanks for your work..!

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Quote by RisingFury; "Vessel to vessel collision detection - Vessels physically react to collisions. Damage is also taken off."

I appreciate what you are saying about orbital velocities but for a ground based effect this would be a good plus. With low velocities you open up the possibility of a push effect with and transfer of object momentum. Cutom tugs,trucks,tractors..? Maybe take the collision damage factor to another level if possible where objects are give a strength\integerity rating, say between 1-10. Where an object of 10 can crush an object of 1 with little or no damage to itself.

Thanks for your work..!

Transfer of linear momentum and damage is ALREADY implemented.

Watch the video:

The damage model is implemented in a way that the more massive object will take less damage then the less massive ones - the thinking is that if a truck and a car collide, the car takes more damage...

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice :thumbup:

I saw the videos. You use the radius for collision detection. Any plans for mesh-to-mesh collision?

I don't think so. It would be cool, but would hog resources (we're already trying to cut down on that) and would probably take lots of work, so it wouldn't be worth it in the long run. Radius to radius detection is all OBSP really needs, though we might have to come up with a better system to get around problems like docking etc.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
An announcement

OBSP is looking for someone who is skilled at texturing and UV unwrapping of 3d models. Meshing skills are also helpful since we are pressed for time and I cannot complete everything alone.

Anyone who is willing and able to dedicate their time and skill can contact me via PM.

Kind regards,
T.Neo

:cheers: