Important Orbiter Forum Migration to XenForo

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
BTW, while talking about it... how could a service discovery look like in Orbiter (like by using the clbkGeneric callback)

A standardised service architecture for vessels in Orbiter? That doesn't sound like a half-bad idea... Trouble is, even if everybody was a professional, at best half would actually stick to it, and we'd probably have our first interface war and competing standards after a year or so... :lol:

DIctating such interfaces could really only be done by the Doctor, I think, so it's hard-baked into the core. Would have been a hell of a way to standardize functionality he was unwilling to implement by himself, but I'm afraid it's a bit late now.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A standardised service architecture for vessels in Orbiter? That doesn't sound like a half-bad idea... Trouble is, even if everybody was a professional, at best half would actually stick to it, and we'd probably have our first interface war and competing standards after a year or so... :lol:

I'd rather have this than none at all. :lol:

Competition sometimes needed. As long as it is goodwilled.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Feels like a good topic for another thread. Let's keep this one on topic please.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
As the time is almost upon us: good luck, godspeed, and we'll see you on the other side. :cheers::cheers:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
See you back soon again. :)

And :givemebeer:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Hi all,

As you might have noticed, the migration is complete. And with complete I mean “there might be missing something, but most is over”.

The migration itself went pretty well and was way quicker than when we did a test migration. We now have an updated system with updated forum software. Change is not always easy. It looks different, it feels different and I’m sure it will take some time for everyone to get adjusted. If you feel we miss something, please let us know!

Some of you have been using TapaTalk. We tried installing the required plugin, but it’s not available (yet) for our version. We’re running version 2.1 of the forum software, the plugin only supports 2.0. There are some privacy concerns with TapaTalk, and I’m not sure if they are true. However, since we don’t have a plugin anyway right now, feel free to use the mobile site! Unlike VB, it’s actually optimized for mobile devices. Later, if/when the plugin is updated, we will evaluate if we want to install it.

Old blogs are available under https://www.orbiter-forum.com/forums/legacy-blogs.4/. For now, we’ve chosen to no re-implement the system since it’s:
  1. costly (license and migration fee’s)
  2. not used that much to justify point 1 at this time
If there is interest, however, please let us know.

Unfortunately, some things are lost. Thanks, for example, are lost. You can like new content however, old content that was once thanked is not thanked anymore.
Also some emojis are not migrated. Most of them were outdated anyway, so we decided not to worry about it. If this unacceptable in your opinion, let us know.

This migration has set the stage for OHM as well. We have a couple of actual APIs now to work with so we can integrate the two. We’re doing this in our spare-time, so please bear with us a little longer. As I’ve said before; your patience is highly appreciated, and we know OHM is in a bad state right now. Developers that like to help with OHM can send me a PM, and we'll set you up.

After 12 years of using vBulletin, the entire Orbiter-Forum staff would like to welcome you on the new XenForo board!

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick migration. The interface is quite different IMHO, but I think I can quickly adapt to it. What about the chat box? I see there is a setting in the profile, but I don't see it on the front page. Also, what is a trophy? I got some of them "awarded", apparently.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Just changed my avatar... or more correcty, updated it to a higher resolution, and like the rest it seems OK!

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Thanks for the quick migration. The interface is quite different IMHO, but I think I can quickly adapt to it. What about the chat box? I see there is a setting in the profile, but I don't see it on the front page. Also, what is a trophy? I got some of them "awarded", apparently.

We're still looking for an adequate replacement for the chatbox. Some of the ones I've seen have been of... dubious... quality, so I didn't want to hold the main migration up while I found the right one.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks everyone involved for their efforts on our behalves! Still getting used to things, but I like what I see. Ahhhh see, that's markdown right there... and there's also quoting from selected text, and... just a second...ONeill_by_night.jpg

Yaaay, drag and drop for images. It's the age of a new dawn, indeed... Wait, I think I mixed that up :shifty:
Oh, I guess I'll have to relearn how to use emojis. Oh well...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
There appears to be an offset in the time: I created a post, and it reads " In 5 minutes" (now down to 4) at the top left, and it doesn't show up in the new posts page, but appears in the home page.

EDIT: this one says "A moment ago", as expected.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
This is done in the browser, but with the timestamp sent by the server. So if your computer's clock is a little behind, the javascript code that runs in your browser to parse the timestamp the server sent might appear to be in the future.

You should check that your computer's time is correct and if possible set it up to automatically update from a reliable internet time source. Clock sync can be the cause of strange and mysterious issues.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
This is done in the browser, but with the timestamp sent by the server. So if your computer's clock is a little behind, the javascript code that runs in your browser to parse the timestamp the server sent might appear to be in the future.

You should check that your computer's time is correct and if possible set it up to automatically update from a reliable internet time source. Clock sync can be the cause of strange and mysterious issues.
Just checked and my clock was off by less than 5 seconds... it couldn't be this as my post above worked as it should.
For the post in question I did previews and read it a few times... could that "editing time" be messing up the post times? I'll use this post to check this theory...

EDIT: nop... about 7 minutes editing and it worked as it should

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi,

can somebody tell me how to get to "new" posts in a thread, I always seem to get linked to either the 1st page ore some page in between when I click on the [Jump to new] button :(.
Or is the "already read"-status just the state of some days ago?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
What happened to the Orbiter ticket "sub-forum"?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It's so odd to see the "look and feel" of the forum change after so many years, but I'm glad that the migration di go as well as it seems it did. On mobile as mentioned it is so much better, for example.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm having a problem switching over to the 24hr time format. I go to "Preferences" and then select "24-hour Time Format" and then click on "Save". But it doesn't seem to change anything, everything is still presented in the default "12-hour Time Format".

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I can confirm this: upon checking I found that I already had 24-hour time format selected.

The description also mentions "vBullettin", so possibly linked to the conversion process?
1597349892507.png