Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
But then some of the more advanced users (gurus) could be convinced (begged?) to write something for the power users or something.

I could be begged to write about two or four pages about MFD coding, and general object oriented programming that should be considered in MFD coding, but not sooner than the beginning of October. Until then I have too much work to do.
I also think, that judging by the variety of MFDs and technologies used in them, each MFD dev would give you different informations, based on their own experience. The key for the reader will be to connect all the information and choose the best compound solutions. This should be fun for them :)

Last edited:

Pablo49

Reaction score
Ok,im planning on the magazine being 10 pages long.So what will be on the first 2 pages.
I'll go ahead and assume you missed my first post. You really (read: REALLY) need to take a step back. You've decided on how many pages already and want to pick what goes on the first two pages. Looking at the list of completed content, I'd say your first two pages will be empty, as of now. (Though, may I suggest a table of contents be in there.) Don't plan your length, or what goes where. Create content, then decide how to organize it.

Else, I can't see this going anywhere but down the same path as almost all VSA's share. (I believe I've made that parallel clear, right?)

Last edited:

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
This is all great.I know what pablo said and he is right.We do need to get all the content before oranizing where it goes.

What im planning on:

Latest add-ons
Add-ons in Development
Interviews
Updates on Orbiter development
Must read tutorials for first time users and add-on developers
Orbiter screenshots
Trends in the orbiter community
Getting the most out of Orbiter

Last edited:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I could be begged to write about two or four pages about MFD coding, and general object oriented programming that should be considered in MFD coding, but not sooner than the beginning of October. Until then I have too much work to do.
I also think, that judging by the variety of MFDs and technologies used in them, each MFD dev would give you different informations, based on their own experience. The key for the reader will be to connect all the information and choose the best compound solutions. This should be fun for them :)
That would be interesting. A relatively large part of the community is involved in addon dev or wants to have a go. A dev section would be interesting and an 'intro to MFD' coding could be a good start.

Though as enjo says, each MFD dev will have a slightly different thing to offer and disagree in parts. Maybe that would be the job of the editor/reporter to piece it all together rather than the reader?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm happy to join in - a quarterly basis doesn't sound like too much of a stretch.

I quite like writing articles, and I'm happy to comment on things from a developer's perspective such as upcoming features (From the Orbiter beta versions, extensions to the API and so on) as well as my personal projects and those of anyone who cares to talk to me about them (on the understanding that I'd then devote a portion of an article to it).

In addition I'm thinking I can include bits about new forum features or changes therein, and perhaps give a staff slant on things (I'd have to talk with the other staff first and make sure on that part).

However, as Pablo notes, I think you might be jumping ahead a little quickly. I can understand the desire to get something made and done quickly, but this isn't how lasting things remain around - just look at my "Radio station" for proof of that. Better would be to see how much content you actually have before deciding on the number of pages - of course, we don't want to wind up having a 90-page PDF to compile and distribute, but I don't think that'll happen, at least not in the early stages.

"Real World" magazines have very few defined pages until they know what will be going in them. They might have a particular arrangement of opening pages, such as a recurring "Editor's letter" and a table of contents / foreword on what you'll find in this issue, but it's rare that they'll define how many pages an individual issue will have before they know how many pages they can actually fill.

It's better to have five pages of real content than ten pages where five are clearly filler.

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

Heh, I remember starting off coding an MFD. It's not the most clearly-documented portion of Orbiter development...

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
I'll go ahead and assume you missed my first post. You really (read: REALLY) need to take a step back. You've decided on how many pages already and want to pick what goes on the first two pages. Looking at the list of completed content, I'd say your first two pages will be empty, as of now. (Though, may I suggest a table of contents be in there.) Don't plan your length, or what goes where. Create content, then decide how to organize it.

Else, I can't see this going anywhere but down the same path as almost all VSA's share. (I believe I've made that parallel clear, right?)

I agree. Don't plan page numbers. Just plan content. If you think you have enough content for a magazine, you should publish.

And not every issue of a magazine has to have the same sections.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
However, as Pablo notes, I think you might be jumping ahead a little quickly. I can understand the desire to get something made and done quickly, but this isn't how lasting things remain around - just look at my "Radio station" for proof of that. Better would be to see how much content you actually have before deciding on the number of pages - of course, we don't want to wind up having a 90-page PDF to compile and distribute, but I don't think that'll happen, at least not in the early stages.

I fully agree both with Pablo49 and Xyon here. It's like some sort of VSA fever where its 'get it done, get it done. NOW'. I understand the initial enthusiam but it has to be curtailed or you'll kick out a mission... err a magazine then get bored. I'm happy to contribute as well but not if its all in a panic with artificial deadlines.

What I would suggest is that one person co-ordinates and has articles sent to them. They can put the initial layout together then when they get a few good articles they can release it. They'll also need to proof read and suggest corrections so this will be quite a bit of work but hopefully it'll keep some level of quality.

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Ok,im planning on the magazine being 10 pages long.So what will be on the first 2 pages.

And this just highlights the problem with rushing.

Last edited:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Gary and the others make an excellent point; For it to persist, it needs to be calm and controlled, with realistic deadlines for content to be in by and another realistic release time some point after that giving the editor time to compile the content together into an issue and release it calmly and make sure it's done properly. A slap-dash muddled together magazine won't last long because nobody with put any effort into reading it if no effort is put into creating it.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
What about 'The orbiter trench'? I like the idea of keeping the word orbiter in there somewhere. I'd also like to see a couple of spoof ads for VSA's, addons or other things.

I do think that establishing some sort of quality control and article review is paramount though.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
How about 'The Orbitnaut'? :lol: I might be able to help out a little with putting the magazine together but I'd rather wait until the concept is a little more solid before I commit to it.

ky

Reaction score
What about 'The orbiter trench'? I like the idea of keeping the word orbiter in there somewhere. I'd also like to see a couple of spoof ads for VSA's, addons or other things.

I do think that establishing some sort of quality control and article review is paramount though.

Well im trying not to rush although it is exciting.But okay then lets focus on the articles before we plan hiow many pages or when it will be released.

First off,we need a name.I suggest we vote on what name we want.

2)Articles,we need:

Latest add-ons(Thats easy).

Add-ons in Development(A list with screenshots and development status).

Interviews(With add-on developers discussing their add-ons or what they are currently developing).

Updates on Orbiter development(Interviewing Martin would be a great idea).

Must read tutorials for first time users and add-on developers(Links more preferrably).

Orbiter screenshots(from our orbinauts)

Trends in the orbiter community(Popular threads,discussions etc..).

Getting the most out of Orbiter(TrackIR.Multiple monitor setup,graphic clients etc.....).Just some ideas.

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
How about a Mission Log? Some kind of live flight diary where the editor assumes the role of a pilot and flies his Delter Glider to the moon. I don't mean a tutorial. More like a POV story.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well im trying not to rush although it is exciting.But okay then lets focus on the articles before we plan hiow many pages or when it will be released.First off,we need a name.I suggest we vote on what name we want.2)Articles,we need:Latest add-ons(Thats easy),Add-ons in Development(A list with screenshots and development status),Interviews(With add-on developers discussing their add-ons or what they are currently developing),Updates on Orbiter development(Interviewing Martin would be a great idea),Must read tutorials for first time users and add-on developers(Links more preferrably),Orbiter screenshots(from our orbinauts),Trends in the orbiter community(Popular threads,discussions etc..),and Getting the most out of Orbiter(TrackIR.Multiple monitor setup,graphic clients etc.....).Just some ideas.

Also - and I don't mean to be mean when I say this - but as the editor of a magazine you might want to work on your spelling and punctuation skills. You don't seem to have used the spacebar for an entire post.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd also like to see a couple of spoof ads for VSA's, addons or other things.
hailprobe.jpg

Something like the ads on http://downloadorbitersim.com/ would be great.

ky

Reaction score
I'll make a CST-100 ad later lol.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Also - and I don't mean to be mean when I say this - but as the editor of a magazine you might want to work on your spelling and punctuation skills. You don't seem to have used the spacebar for an entire post.

I know it was just a quick but long post.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Perhaps we could have an article on the physics of space flight? Or, if not a whole article, just a little blurb about a specific equation or technique? I'm thinking something that presents the equation, says what each variable is, and gives an example of it's use- maybe a bit about it's history?

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'll make a CST-100 ad later lol.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

I know it was just a quick but long post.

I take the point - it looked like it was rushed, which is partly where the impression that you're in some insane hurry comes about from. It might go better if you calm down a little.

ky

Reaction score
Perhaps we could have an article on the physics of space flight? Or, if not a whole article, just a little blurb about a specific equation or technique? I'm thinking something that presents the equation, says what each variable is, and gives an example of it's use- maybe a bit about it's history?

Ok,if you can make the article I'll include it.