Orbiter Screenshot Thread

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
Not sure that this is the proper thread to post this to or not as I couldn't find an official 'artwork' thread, I figured here is the closest bet.

The standard DG mesh & Textures (Credit: Roger "Frying Tiger" Long) rendered with 2500 passes in Blender using the cycles render engine. The only material modifications done were to set the material type of the visor to glossy and the hud to transparent. There's one external light source, and three inside the cabin. two above the astronauts, one the pilot, the other by the passengers. There's also a small green plane near the cockpit panels to throw off a slight green "mfd" glow that's visible on the pilot's chest. Also, there's alot of neat detail in the reflections of the helmets.

dg1.png

This is AWESOME!:thumbup:

just one question (I know it's stupid) - how did you convert mesh to a blender compatible file?

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Not a stupid question at all Hal.... Vlad32768 has created a great importer/exporter for Blender.... You can get the Blender add on here... http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18661 and you need the latest version of Blender from GraphicAll.org. Once installed and activated in the add on panel, you can import a mesh directly from the Orbiter's mesh directory. Also, if you're familiar with Blender's new Cycles rendering engine, you can use Cycles, but you have to manually re-add each texture from the texture directory.... and an NVidia video card with CUDA and 2.0 (or higher) shader model support is recommended... also in that thread there's a site you can upload the blender file to and it will render it in cycles, then you download the output. The site renders most images in a few minutes, whereas if you're going to render with your CPU, good luck... the above image would have taken days to render. I have an NVidia GTX 570 with 480 CUDA cores, and it rendered 2500 passes in about 7 minutes ;)

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Today, at 17:51:39 UTC, a Long March 2F rocket blasted of to start the Skylab-6 mission. 3 taikonauts will man Skylab-II for a month. They will assist during the relocation of Neesys and they will berth the first unmanned resupply craft, SpaceX's Dragon, to the station. They will also prepare the station for the arrival of the Skylab-7 mission, which will be performed by the Russians with their Buran spacecraft.

UCUZK.jpg

T-1 minute, 30 seconds

4fPm5.jpg

Lift-off!

OEgUZ.jpg

Leaving china below and behind us

ub1HJ.jpg

Booster separation

LrnwA.jpg

Good staging

2QEWT.jpg

Fairing separation

ObYRU.jpg

First sun rise of the mission, at T+6 minutes

dzdAq.jpg

SECO!

8lEy1.jpg

Spacecraft separation!

bBS6z.jpg

Solarpanel deployed and tracking the sun

ISdcg.jpg

And a picture of the other side

The solar panels on the orbital/docking module are not being used when it's still attached to the Shenzhou spacecraft. If the module would fly on its own, the solar panel are deployed so it can charge its batteries.

(not sure why the images are resized..)

Last edited:

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I'm back from Dc.:) Also how does this look for a base on a lunar like body?

picture.php

Gliese 581 titanium mine.

picture.php

Viewing Gl 581 D from D I.

I think i'm gonna go for it and make an alien-like city with stock textures on Gl 581 G. What do you people think of this?

Last edited:

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hey Ironrain, how did you get the docking version ??
Would love to have that one !
:thumbup:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Delta Glider Rendered in Blender Cycles

Wow. It definitively proves you don't need a super-high-poly mesh to get very nice pictures :thumbup:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Anachronism Stew

It took all of my Ascent Engine and 86% of my RCS's propellant but I was able to safely launch my Lunar Module from Brighton Beach and rendevous with LUNA OB-1. :thumbup:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
:facepalm:

rtls_prac_et.jpg

The . . . uh . . . object circled in yellow was my external tank.

Subsequent to a SRB failure just a minute after liftoff, a return to launch site abort was performed. After the SRB's separated, it was a fight to keep the hdot zeroed out whilst burning in the reciprocal direction; pitch was at 60-70 degrees up for most of the way back.

Was able to keep the orbiter in the upper atmosphere, using the three good SSME's and a lengthy OMS assist until about 40 miles out. With most of the fuel in the tank expended, the decision was made to jettison the ET within sight of the shoreline.

At first . . . the haphazard hope was that the orbiter was going to remain aerodynamically viable to join the HAC and return to base.

The external tank . . . was a secondary thought -- though of still nagging importance. At first, it looked like the tank was going to sail right over central Florida at mach 2, and impact somewhere west of Tampa in the Gulf.

Nope. At 35,000 feet, aerodynamic drag got the best of the tank, and it PLUMMETED.

Here it is, about to herald my imminent arrival with a massive conflaguration southeast of the runway.

At least it's not in a human-inhabited area . . .

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Some poor bastard probably parked his car there...

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Today was the launch of the Italians on their mission to the moon. They will prepare Pangea base for upcoming Italian moon missions.

eC0OX.jpg

Lift-off!

SfGG7.jpg

Cleared the pad

0oqqs.jpg

Staging

i6YrX.jpg

Second stage ignition, LES and fairing separation

XzokW.jpg

Staging of the 2 - 3 stage

tdi3h.jpg

Coasting to TLI

Pk3wk.jpg

TLI

Fj9Xl.jpg

3 hours later, CSM separation

MkpET.jpg

Turning around

9yHyt.jpg

Approaching for docking

cwT4J.jpg

Docking and extraction!

And a quick look back at yesterday, Skylab 6 docked with the Skylab-II Space Station!

Mikeol1987

Virtual Pilot & Orbinaut
Reaction score
been messing around with space odyssey today, made some landings:

picture.php

aries landing, southwest of Neander Crater, 22 June 2012 (looking northeast)

picture.php

southwest of Neander Crater (looking southwest)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Firebreathing Dragon.

Attachments

• FirebreathingDragon.jpg
    FirebreathingDragon.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 62