Orbiter Screenshot Thread

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Where can I get these darker AMSO LM cabin textures?

----

Gene and Jack sampling during EVA-2 at station 2 near Nansen crater at the foot of the South Massif.
2022-02-01 20_31_10-Greenshot.png

Last edited:

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Always thought it incredible to know LM-4's ascent stage is still out there, largely intact, after having once been occupied and operated by humans. A time capsule, in a sense.
Simulations in GMAT show that Apollo 11's LEM (Eagle) is possibly still orbiting the Moon, unknowingly jettisoned in one of the "frozen orbits" that also make LRO's orbit not so chaotic for many years

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Shouldn't we be able to detect it? After all, its a pretty big shiny object with very distinct surface properties.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wait, we might have an entire LM in orbit, but we're not sure? That sounds like a major hazard...
LM-5 is in at least two separate pieces, the Descent Stage on the lunar surface and the Ascent Stage in lunar orbit.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Shouldn't we be able to detect it? After all, its a pretty big shiny object with very distinct surface properties.
In theory yes. Remember that radar return strength falls off in proportion to 1/R^4 though so that would limit you to the very largest of radars and it may need a few orbits to find it if dosnt come over the horizon exactly where you expect it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In theory yes. Remember that radar return strength falls off in proportion to 1/R^4 though so that would limit you to the very largest of radars and it may need a few orbits to find it if dosnt come over the horizon exactly where you expect it.

No just by radar - I mean optically. We can detect much darker smaller asteroids at similar distances than that already. Its just the nearby moon, that causes problems, but would we do something like a long-term observation of the moon, we should detect any bigger object orbiting it....

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
No just by radar - I mean optically. We can detect much darker smaller asteroids at similar distances than that already. Its just the nearby moon, that causes problems, but would we do something like a long-term observation of the moon, we should detect any bigger object orbiting it....
Oh good point. Just need to convince someone to point a telescope there.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oh good point. Just need to convince someone to point a telescope there.

And do it for a long time... I have an old desktop reflector telescope here for overhaul... maybe I can mod it for such a task. I doubt I can install something into the light path to produce an artificial lunar eclipse, this should improve the quality of the data a lot.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, I wish you all the best since not even the HST can resolve any Apollo objects! They're way too small to be resolved even by its 2.4 diameter primary mirror. So unless you have something a few hundred times larger in your backyards, all you are going to see is the usual lunar selenological stuff.