Orbiter Screenshot Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's a cube. The meshing process starts with a cube. ;)

Thats what I thought. But then my mind implodes and I stare at the result in disbelief. That, BTW, is a nightlord:

battletech___nightlord_class_battleship__by_sharlin_da0mpug.jpg

I wanted to do it with multiple cubes, since it is made of quite distict sections.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thats what I thought. But then my mind implodes and I stare at the result in disbelief. That, BTW, is a nightlord:

View attachment 33685

I wanted to do it with multiple cubes, since it is made of quite distict sections.
Like a lot of things I'm sure learning do do this involves being comfortable with being bad at it for a rather long time. Also starting with the "hello world" level of modeling.

I am very familiar with Solidworks/Inventor etc, but it has not automatically made me an expert in blender.

gamer19

Reaction score
orbiter-2022-03-24-00-56-06-075-B.jpg

orbiter-2022-06-17-00-33-21-879-B.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Like a lot of things I'm sure learning do do this involves being comfortable with being bad at it for a rather long time. Also starting with the "hello world" level of modeling.

I am very familiar with Solidworks/Inventor etc, but it has not automatically made me an expert in blender.

Yeah, Its hard to believe that I actually had arts as my primary course at school (followed by math). I am better with a pencil than telling a computer what I see.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score

View attachment 33685

Turbosquid has something similat for 35$. Though I doubt the license covers distributing it as a free addon. For personal use though, considering the hours it would take to learn how to model something like that from scratch, it's not a too bad of a deal.

1687662151440.png

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Turbosquid has something similat for 35$. Though I doubt the license covers distributing it as a free addon. For personal use though, considering the hours it would take to learn how to model something like that from scratch, it's not a too bad of a deal.

View attachment 33687

Yes, also its the older design of the ship from the TRO3057 sourcebook. I like most of the Matt Plog reworks more there.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
But sculpting a mesh is also a very rewarding experience. But yeah, it takes time and dedication. I know something about it.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hello all, back on the screenshot thread as I just completed finally the debrief of my Apollo 9 Real Time Simulation wich we performed on january this year.
Some screenshots of the run!

Docking_1.png
First docking of the Apollo Program (Apollo 7 and 8 featured demos). "Catch that Spider!"

fd2_iberia.png
"Iberia (Comunidad Valenciana and Islas Baleares) (Flight Day 2)"

fd2_nile_river.png
"Delta of the Nile River (Flight Day 2)"

fd2_nile_river_ii.png
"Spider and Nile river (Flight Day 2)"

fd2_sahara_Desert.png
"Sahara Desert (Flight Day 2)"

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Some pictures of Apollo 9´s FD3 (entering Spider for the first time in space) and FD4 (First EVA on Apollo). (Similar pictures, but every pass over Africa amazed me)

fd3_desert.png
"Desert (Flight Day 3)"

fd3_nile_red_sea.png
"Nile river and the Red sea (Flight Day 3)"

fd3_sunset.png
"Sunset (Flight Day 3)"

fd4_africa.png
"Africa (Flight Day 4)"

fd4_delta_nile_river.png
"Delta of the Nile river (Flight Day 4)"

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Just discovered this feature. Seems to be a bug, but pretty useful. It would be nice to keep this mode in the future. I mean the navigation information without front glass.

f.pngfd.png

Unfortunately direct switching between HUD mode doesn't work.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just discovered this feature. Seems to be a bug, but pretty useful. It would be nice to keep this mode in the future. I mean the navigation information without front glass.

View attachment 33881View attachment 33882

Unfortunately direct switching between HUD mode doesn't work.

It exists in the military, the information is cast not on the HUD but directly on the pilot helmet visor, allowing to look around while watching speed, altitude... I see no reason why it wouldn't exist in a futuristic spacecraft like the DeltaGlider ! The tricky part is that information should also be displayed over the VC, probably not easy to do in Orbiter.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The first and the last ones look good. The first could be a thing if you wanted to have redundancy (in case helmet-mounted projector get broken...). The last one would make sense if there are spare helmets aboard and engineers are very confident with that technology.

They have that kind of technology on the F-35 (each helmet is worth a little fortune !) :

f-35-helmet-1-1536x864.jpg

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I think it would be better to add a view from the helmet for this. Something just like this:

spacesuit-helmet-ironman-display1.png

Both inside a vessel and EVA. The last is pretty needed in Orbiter.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The first and the last ones look good. The first could be a thing if you wanted to have redundancy (in case helmet-mounted projector get broken...). The last one would make sense if there are spare helmets aboard and engineers are very confident with that technology.

They have that kind of technology on the F-35 (each helmet is worth a little fortune !) :

f-35-helmet-1-1536x864.jpg

A simpler version of this is used in attack helicopters since the early 1980s. On modern fighters, like also the Eurofighter and some Soviet jets, its also included for some time (We actually copied the idea from the MiG-29A we got from the GDR), but the F-35 helmet is currently the most sophisticated (and troublesome) ever designed. But well, the helmet also has to work during an ejection or while pulling 9g, of course every feature of such a helmet is paid with hard work and weightshaving.