Orbiter Video Thread

Interceptor

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just to good for my shirt... :lol:

Thought I'd try the ShuttleA moon launch to that swinging.. round thing.. up there.. you know, that thing going around the moon. :shifty:

Bloody mouse throttle movement sent me to a 2000Km wild polar orbit.. but none-the-less.. it put me in a prime position to sync with the round thing and come down to 48km distant... all in about 3 orbits...damm good hey!! :thumbup: :cheers:

Ssshhh don't tell anyone I nearly bombed it...:rofl:....so I then banged the Aux thrusters in retro.. and 'thrusted' my way to 3km when this recording started. I've accelerated the playback to 10x, as we all know.. it gets boring after a 1000 missions.... actually I've only flown about 5 various orbiter missions, but plenty in KSP.

I thought this rotisserie docking thing might be harder.. though it might be of help to New-Nauts. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qghx21moh746140/Lunar_OB1.mp4?dl=0 (47MB)
With the universal autopilot MFD you can match the rotation speed easily when docking,because there is a mode for this that does it it automatically.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Last edited:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
NASSP - CMC controlled reentry

Showcasing the most recent development on reentry and the Command Module: improved aerodynamics (the trim angle of attack and drag coefficient between Mach 10-20 were inaccurate), historically correct principal moments of inertia and the entry mode for the Entry Monitoring System (EMS). This scenario should be pretty close the actual Apollo 8 reentry conditions.

I've just been playing around with video recording software while doing reentry tests and this is the result.

Last edited:

Vulcan-V

Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I've just been playing around with video recording software while doing reentry tests and this is the result.

I want to do the same with SSU, sadly the first try with video recording resulted in a true newsealandian video: All black

Also, are that your plasma effects or are the plasma effects of Orbiter a bit more wacky than usual? Plasma all the way down to 4 Kft/s (and less) is pretty strange, that is just Mach 3.5 after all.

Interestingly, watching your video in HD also works on a smartphone with less than optimal reception. :lol:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, are that your plasma effects or are the plasma effects of Orbiter a bit more wacky than usual? Plasma all the way down to 4 Kft/s (and less) is pretty strange, that is just Mach 3.5 after all.

I've noticed that, too, but I don't really know why that happens and I haven't changed any settings. Would it be something that can be changed in NASSP, some DX9 settings or simply Orbiter not being quite realistic here?

Interestingly, watching your video in HD also works on a smartphone with less than optimal reception. :lol:

Probably because the video is in 720p. I wanted to record it in 1080p, but my monitor has a 1680x1050 resolution and the native resolution gets downscaled to 720p by Youtube and didn't look any good.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
See Orbiter project ticket 601, Re-entry plasma visualization. I filed this way back in 2012. In short, the calculations Orbiter uses for the plasma visualization are off.

This is something that I am interested in as well. But, it's not "freestream" vs. "local" per se. Hypersonic flow is characterized by Mach number, not rho-V cubed that orbiter uses.
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=506461&postcount=17

Mach 3 will never be "hypersonic" in air, regardless of how dense the atmosphere is. Likewise, Mach 25 can produce spectacular plasma in some very rarified air.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score

This was one of the first if not the first Orbiter related video that I ever saw. I probably saw this around 2008. I didn't have my own computer at that time though and I was too young and probably wouldn't have had the patience to learn how to fly everything.

Here's part two:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Did you modify the original add-on to use Thornton's Soyuz?