Project Orion MPCV

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
The autopilot for the Delta IV add-on was made with some misunderstandings of the underlying mathematics, hence the problems with inclination, etc. Otherwise, it is a beautiful add-on.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Well thats more than what I know how to do. Over the years some of the people on here have help me to be a little more computer literate but this is over my head. For me user friendly is very important. I know this vehicle will never fly and NASA is dragging its feet to keep their jobs for now . In a year they'll announce a new billion dollar program so they can stretch out more jobs another 10 years. But its nice to see what this thing might have done.

Multistage2015 is very user friendly IMO. I am only just learning how to work SC4 files and I've made several Multistage2015 vessels.

barrygolden

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. Still no solutions to the problems. But will keep trying.

I think Harrington has a great looking addon and the MPCV looks super on top but when I hit the A key the Delta vanishes. If the Velcro inclination is wrong, what happened between version 3 and version 11 ?

If you were able to see the funding charts for the ISS, MPCV, CCD and SLS you can see why none of this makes much sense. I think flying ISS out to 2026 if it can be done is a good idea. Using capsules to resupply or crew change outs cost to much thats why NASA is trying to sub this out and if God forbids something goes wrong they can point a finger and blame somebody else. A winged reusable vehicle launched by a ELV or reusable Falcon would be the way go. The X 33 on top of a Delta might have been the answer.

Orion is a beautiful craft but with 1 planned mission every 7 years why waste the time and money. What if we would have done Apollo like that. We would be trying to fly Apollo 7 today.

Orion fit into Constellation quite well and a base on the Moon next I feel is the right move for the world to try. Sadly it was not funded properly and Nasa was trying to build 2 rockets for the price of three. See Sally Ride's charts. they were an eye opener. Where was ESA when Constellation was planned ?

I like the idea of the ATV service module also but 1 every 5 years ?

---------- Post added 06-16-16 at 03:38 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-15-16 at 12:03 PM ----------

Eureka !!!! I found harrington's Delta 4 version 3 and it fixed the launch problem well almost
the rocket launches and 1st stage separates then there is no fairing sep and then it slowly seems to fall out of the sky but we on the right track. Might be helpful to add that into the notes.
I don't mean to be harsh but I see this as being one of the best addons along the lines of AMSO, Shuttle Fleet, SSU, and Constellation. The MPCV is the key piece to make this all work. The tile detail and decals on the CM are awesome. With more work on the SLS and pad B the other parts to make the missions are about 90% done

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 AM ----------

Looks like by dropping the payload weight the Delta was able to place the MPCV in orbit. Any words about the Fairing sep ? pushing the F key doesn't work.

The work with the Delta's engine flames are out of this world. Super job with that.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
The Orion on Harringtons Delta IV is not alive until being jettisoned. It is only an assembled mesh of the fairing, the Orion and the LAS. This it is why it does nothing until being jettisoned.

A workaround may be:
- Define (manually) an attachment point in the Delta4 cfg file.
- Attach the Orion in MODE 10 to this attachment point. Then it will be active and jettison the fairing and LAS at 107/108 km altitude all by itself.
- Reduce the Orion's fuel loadout by setting PRPLEVEL 0:0.5 to lighten the load on the weak upper stage.

Depending on the weather, I will try that on the upcoming weekend. :)

---------- Post added 06-17-16 at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-16-16 at 11:58 PM ----------

Sorry, that did not really work.
I could attach the Orion to an attachment point, but after booster sep the Delta shifts the mass center forward. This leads to the Orion floating some 10m ahead of the launcher, invisibly attached to it. And even more after second stage sep.

This mass center shift cannot be compensated by a static attachment point.

Another issue: To avoid CTD a dummy payload is required. At payload separation only this dummy payload is separated. As the 'J' key is intercepted to release the payload, the Orion is not released.
____

Conclusion: If you want to play around with a 3-core booster for LEO missions, use BrianJ's Falcon Heavy. It is an excellent, up-to-date booster, fully supporting the Orion and available for Orbiter 2010 & 2016!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Multistage2015 is very user friendly IMO. I am only just learning how to work SC4 files and I've made several Multistage2015 vessels.

I went ahead and made tried to make a Multistage2015 vessel for Delta IV/Orion. This is very much a "proof of concept" as I did this very quickly, but make sure to read the "readme" for the required addons. I hope this helps with the Delta IV issue!

Attachments

• DeltaIVOrion.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 45

barrygolden

Reaction score
I have been able to get Harrington's Delta to launch the MPCV and it looks super. Still need the fairing sep to bring it alive but really looks super. There are others who are looking into places for the MPCV to fly to and stuff to do so this is on the way to be a great addon

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
To use a live Orion, try to modify Kyle's scenario like this:
------------------
Delta4:delta4/Delta4
Fairing 0
END
; or whatever command to omit the standard fairing

Orion:Orion-MPCV\Orion-MPCV
MODE 10
FAIRING
END
--------------------

The MODE 10 tells the Orion to start in launch configuration.
FAIRING tells it that the fairing is still attached.

barrygolden

Reaction score
I ran across this chart and listened to a speaker last week about NASA's SLS plan.

NASA has 14 SSME's and 1 used for testing and then parts for another one. So 16 total if the SLS uses 5 then thats 3 flights. I cannot find a funding plan for more engines.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So 16 total if the SLS uses 5 then thats 3 flights. I cannot find a funding plan for more engines.

SLS uses 4 RS-25 engines. So its exactly four flights without a restart of production.

Restart of production of the RS-25 is procured (Had to correct my own opinion of it being unlikely to restart. It already happened. Sorry.):

http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/11/2...ropulsion-contracts-worth-nearly-1-4-billion/

So, its only 6 engines right now, but more would be possible if the SLS program is extended.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it possible to change the array from the rectangle one to the round ones?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
The solar arrays are rectangular, as the service module will be built by ESA. They use the ATV design, which has rectangular arrays.

If you look for the round panels of the previous 606-concept, there is very good addon by 4th_rock: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6621"]Constellation Orion CEV[/ame]

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The solar arrays are rectangular, as the service module will be built by ESA. They use the ATV design, which has rectangular arrays.

If you look for the round panels of the previous 606-concept, there is very good addon by 4th_rock: Constellation Orion CEV

This add-on doesn't seem to be there now. The Constellation Orion_CEV.
I am working on a Orion with round Array, beacons, and HGA.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Been updated I think [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6787"]Constellation Program[/ame]

I've been watching your Orion development. Looks great so far!

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. The Orion I can seem to find it the side mounted Array one.

One issue That I need to fix is the mesh indexing. Because I have animated arrays,... I need to tell it which mesh is the service module. The mesh index number changes based off the config

Loopos

Procrastination Master
Reaction score
Why does the SLS and Orion always break my game? Can you fix the issue?

Longjap

Reaction score
Hi Francisdrake,

I'm using your add-on to much enjoyment. :) I have a problem getting the LES to work in combination with Multistage2015. When the LES is enabled the Orion still keeps being attached to the upperstage. Is there something I can do about this?