problem with textures??

sum1else

Reaction score
i'm afraid i need some help.
i just installed orbiter, then got rid of it and reinstalled it again to find the same problem.
at first, a window would pop up saying i did not have the correct dll files, but i fixed that. everytime i run anything, though, almost everything is really dark, and i can't see anything in the sim. my graphics card should be able to handle this no prob. i downloaded directx 10, so i'm good on that.
i guess i should say i'm using a mac and running this through parallels. i tried out the eagle lander 3d through parallels and that was fine, so i really don't know what's going on or what to do. please help!!

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Have you selected the appropiate (never used parallels myself) rendering device in the launchpad?
Would you be so kind to post all available options here?

sum1else

Reaction score
if you mean the video tab thing, before it had rgb emulation and that was it (i think)
and now it just has Wine D3D7 device and i can't choose anything else. should the actual name of my graphics card be an option? the one that came with my mac is an ATI Radeon HD 2600, so i don't know where that other name came from.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Try checking "always enumerate devices". To get all your options all the time.
Usaly in virtual computers you can not choose your "real" card. Instead you have more or less good relays or simulated cards. The wine option is defenitely the one provided by parallels. Orbiter uses the old DX7 interface, so this should be fine as long as it completely supports DX7. RGB Emulation causes orbiter to render everything with the CPU... yep, thats slow.

You mentioned you have DX10. This may very well be the cause of the problem too. I recommend trying DX9 if the above does not help.

Which windows version are you running?

sum1else

Reaction score
i'm running windows xp and right now i am trying to download directx 7 since parallels says it supports up to 8 and see how it goes.

EDIT: shouldn't have a problem with having a higher directx as long sa the game i'm using doesn't require the stuff in the newer version, at least according to parallels, so i shouldn't have to download a previous version (which i couldn't anyway because it was "not compatible with this version of windows")

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I think you need to download VC++.

EDIT: Maybe because it's at night?