New Release Project Mercury X for Orbiter 2016

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it possible to modify the height over ground of a launch pad?

I was trying to flatten the area around LC-5 but couldn't put the launch complex on the ground.

View attachment 26015
Cool work!
Config\Vessels\ProjectMercury\Mercury_LC5.cfg
And then play with the COG value.

You probably also correspondingly have to alter the HeightOverGround value in ProjectMercuryRedstone.cfg

Note that the Mercury_RedstoneBooster.cfg file only is for a Redstone without a capsule, i.e. after the capsule is separated. So unless you plan to abort while on the pad, you don't have to change it too.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Please check the movement of the clock. Since update 3 the second hand is behaving strangely. It moves forward till 60 seconds but then it doesn´t move on to 1 second. Instead the counter moves all the way back - that is counterclockwise - to the 3 second mark.

BUT:
This is an absolutely superb addon!!!
Also want to say that I fixed this, but never got to update the add-on on Orbithangar, so the latest version online still has this problem. But only happens for high frame rates (or with time 0.1x), which is why I hadn't discovered it before.

I will not be able to update before the end of the month.

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Also want to say that I fixed this, but never got to update the add-on on Orbithangar, so the latest version online still has this problem.
Hello @asbjos! Do you also encounter a 404 Error while uploading anything on OHM? Try changing the beginning of the URL from http to https to complete the upload successfully when it occurs. This was suggested by Soumya-8974 to me when I first reported this problem some time ago here when I was updating Delta III.

I hope this helps ;)

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello @asbjos! Do you also encounter a 404 Error while uploading anything on OHM? Try changing the beginning of the URL from http to https to complete the upload successfully when it occurs. This was suggested by Soumya-8974 to me when I first reported this problem some time ago here when I was updating Delta III.

I hope this helps ;)
Thanks for the tip.
Although I never got that far: it was simple laziness that inhibited me from uploading. I simply forgot to do it. ?

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
Config\Vessels\ProjectMercury\Mercury_LC5.cfg
And then play with the COG value.

You probably also correspondingly have to alter the HeightOverGround value in ProjectMercuryRedstone.cfg

Thank you. LC-5 is now properly on the ground.

032.jpg

Attachments

• ProjectMercury_flat.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 19

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
May be you can try this : (wraptosurface)

MESH
FILE folder\file
POS 358 0 -140
SCALE 1 1 1
ROT 95
SHADOW
WRAPTOSURFACE
OWNMATERIAL
END

Else, you can try this (but only for the concrete slab floor, not for the 3D objects)

MESH
FILE folder\file
POS 358 0 -140
SCALE 1 1 1
ROT 95
UNDERSHADOWS
WRAPTOSURFACE

OWNMATERIAL
END

Note that this (wraptosurface) only works with D3D9 graphic client, not without.....

[edit] sorry, I'm to late.... ?

gagarin

Reaction score
Hello
Just to say that today I flew a complete 3 orbit mission using this sim (Friendship 7) in REAL time !
It was amazing and very very real ! I felt as if i was the Astronaut !!!!
The views of the earth from the capsule were truly amazing as well .
The entire flight lasted 4Hrs 55 Minutes 21 Seconds from lift off to spalsh down
Thank you for an amazing piece of work

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
New update on OHM, now on version 3.1.

Changes are:
  • CAPCOM apogee and perigee information radio sound.
  • Fix second dial rewind each minute for high refresh displays (thanks to "Cougar" for detecting this).
  • Hopefully fixed a bug where variometer (descent rate) needle disappears.
  • Includes "Nikogori"'s terrain flattening for LC-5.

Fun fact: the apogee/perigee call was not previously included in the addon because I first recently have found the full tapes from MA-7/"Aurora". I previously have only found the full MR-3, MR-4, MA-6 and MA-8 voice tapes, but apogee and/or perigee info was never transmitted on those flights.
While mission control used nautical miles for orbital altitudes, this addon uses kilometres as unit.

Last edited:

Michkov

Reaction score
In the attitude control manual you say the auto attitude is pitch -34°, 0° roll, 0° yaw under point 3.2. While the panel guide gives the same attitude as -34° pitch, 0° roll, 180° yaw under point 2.5.

Is that a mistake in the docs or am I misunderstanding something here?

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In the attitude control manual you say the auto attitude is pitch -34°, 0° roll, 0° yaw under point 3.2. While the panel guide gives the same attitude as -34° pitch, 0° roll, 180° yaw under point 2.5.

Is that a mistake in the docs or am I misunderstanding something here?
The attitude control manual has the correct number.
Version 1 of this add-on showed 180° for retro attitude, but this was later fixed to the historical correct 0° for retro attitude.
But I forgot to update the panel guide. Thank you for notifying me, and especially thanks for caring enough about this add-on to read the manuals. ?

But this was then only wrong for the indicator. The actual attitude of the capsule itself is and was always correct: during automatic flight (with ASCS in control), the spacecraft was in a blunt end forward, window facing back, 34° pitch down attitude*. This way, the spacecraft was always ready for an abort retrofire in case of emergency.

* Actually, on MR-3 the ASCS attitude was 14.5° pitch down up until retrosequence (so that the periscope pointed straight down), but I have yet to include this in the add-on.

df1972

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I am (maybe foolishly) attempting to simulate Little Joe 1, the failed Max Q abort and Launch Escape System test from August 1959. It is fairly easy to change the date of the Little Joe 2 scenario to match. However, when I press "J" to abort before the rocket leaves the pad, the capsule doesn't move at all, the the entire launch escape system fires, separates the tower, deploys the drogue, and then the main chute, all while still attached to the rocket.

I can get around this by pressng SPACE to light the rocket engine and then instantly pressing "J" to abort. This time, the entire abort sequence operates successfully. This is close enough to satisfy my desire for simulation.

In the case of Little Joe 1, the tower failed to separate and the chutes failed to deploy and the capsule and tower plunged into the ocean. Here's the real question: is there any way to disable the automatic abort sequence and conduct it manually?

Last edited:

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am (maybe foolishly) attempting to simulate Little Joe 1, the failed Max Q abort and Launch Escape System test from August 1959. It is fairly easy to change the date of the Little Joe 2 scenario to match. However, when I press "J" to abort before the rocket leaves the pad, the capsule doesn't move at all, the the entire launch escape system fires, separates the tower, deploys the drogue, and then the main chute, all while still attached to the rocket.

I can get around this by pressng SPACE to light the rocket engine and then instantly pressing "J" to abort. This time, the entire abort sequence operates successfully. This is close enough to satisfy my desire for simulation.

In the case of Little Joe 1, the tower failed to separate and the chutes failed to deploy and the capsule and tower plunged into the ocean. Here's the real question: is there any way to disable the automatic abort sequence and conduct it manually?
For aborting from the pad, first attach the rocket to the ramp. This is done by first selecting the ramp as the focus vessel (press "C" when focused on the Little Joe vessel, or select it with "F3"). Then attach the rocket by pressing "V". Then, switching back to the Little Joe, you can abort using the normal "J" key.

Where do you have from that the tower failed to separate for Little Joe 1? According to This New Ocean,
Near apogee, at about 2000 feet, the clamping ring that held tower to capsule released and the little pyro-rocket for jettisoning the tower fired.

Anyway, looking through my code for the vessel, there is no way to stop the tower from separating, I'm sorry.
More precisely, the tower will separate as soon as both the following conditions are met:
  • Vessel acceleration less than 0.25G
  • Time since abort is more than 0.1855 * abortMET + 7.0 seconds, where abortMET is the MET of the abort initiation. So for an off-the-pad abort, abortMET is 0, and the tower will thus jettison at 7 seconds after the abort rockets fired. (equation of time from historic Project Mercury documents)
I have not simulated a failure of tower separation, having assumed that such a failure would never occur. Although if I ever release a new version of the addon, I will consider it. :)
This is however unlikely to ever happen, seeing how user BigMac released a Project Mercury addon with 3D cockpit, rendering my own addon much less interesting: https://orbiter-forum.com/threads/project-mercury.40467/
Thank you for your interest anyhow!

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
@asbjos your addon is still interesting, especially for these test missions using boilerplates. Boilerplates didn't have a cockpit - at most, they had a window and a camera or other instruments. And the maneuverable Mercury is unique and can work along BigMac's Mercury for a hypothetical capsule dual mission.
So your addon is still interesting ;)