.dll Question Propellant resource or custom tank?

Ashaman42

Reaction score
I was just wondering what people generally do and if one option is a better idea.

I'm currently making a mining unit for UCGO and was wondering if it's better to use a propellant resource to keep track of how much 'ore' is in the miner or a custom counter to keep track.

Actually, now I write it out propellant tank (obviously not linked to any thrusters) sounds better as it would update the vessel's mass without any extra code from me wouldn't it??

Any downsides to using a propellant resource that I'm not seeing?

Tommy

Reaction score
The only downside I can think of is that people could use something like FuelMFD to fill a ships engine with ore, which would then magically transform into rocket fuel! Also, a UCGO fuel truck may "refuel" your "ore".

Actually, now I write it out propellant tank (obviously not linked to any thrusters) sounds better as it would update the vessel's mass without any extra code from me wouldn't it??

Yes, it would. However, it's not very difficult to update the vessels mass - a simple check to see if the ore level has changed since the last check, and simple SetVesselEmptyMass (or whatever - don't have an SDK here to check the API) call if it has.

Ashaman42

Reaction score
Decided to do a custom tank rather than a propellant in the end. Didn't even worry about mass check as the current project isn't intended to move from where it's deployed on the ground anyway :)