OHM PursuitMFD 2016

Moonray

Reaction score
I've tried docking mode on Deepstar 3 (Earth Station). The docking is OK, but DG-X1 presents it's tail, not the nose, to the docking port.
The tail "enter" in the station, and when nose coincide with docking port, the DG docks (and turns imediately in the right direction)
Any hint or though about this ? Bad dock port configuration on Earth-Station ?

rfindlay1930

Reaction score
I know this thread is a million years old but is there a tutorial somewhere for this MFD? Does it work with SS Atlantis? Trying to find a method for landing Atlantis consistently that's better than me just dead-sticking it. I'm not very good.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
@rfindlay1930 If you have installed the MFD, then go to the Doc folder and look for the "PursuitMFD_Readme.txt" file. That is the manual of the MFD. BTW :welcome: to the forum!

Last edited:

Marcin

Reaction score
After activating in modules I can't see PursuitMFD in simulation. What's wrong?

thermocalc

Reaction score
hi to all,
I am moving my first baby steps to learn using PursuitMFD; so far I managed to dock and land on the moon; but I always fail to autoland on Mars.
I saw some old posts here but I didn't succeed, so i guess I am doing something terribly wrong or stupid.
So allow me some few generics questions about Mars lending techniques.
  1. What should be my initial ApA/PeA altitude to can safely land?
  2. What should be the best way to deorbit on Mars? Is the burning at 180deg from base still applicable for Mars? what should be PeA at the end of the deorbit burn?
  3. How to set the reentry parameters to can deorbit Mars using BaseSyncMFD (if i would like to use it)?
  4. I guess that before engaging PursuitMFD to autoland I should have already done my deorbit burn; but when should I engage PursuitMFD? At which altitude or distance from Olympus?
Thanks to let me know.

5) partially related question ... i saw that manual landing by trials/errors by using AerobrakingMFD or GlideslopeMFD is challenging, i was wondering if there is "out-there" somewhere some automatic landing mfd for atmospheric planets like the old AutoFCS for the ShuttleFleet ....

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
@thermocalc: I usually use HoverMFD for landing on airless bodies and Mars, but, with your post, thought I'd try Pursuit. Make sure your orbiter inclination is at or greater than that of Olympus' latitude so the orbit passes over the base. At 150 km circular orbit, I fired up Pursuit, entered TGT as Olympus, PAD as 02, then when my orbit passed over the base, I did a manual burn about 45° or so ahead of the base, making my landing spot according to MapMFD a little beyond the base. Hit HLD, and Pursuit gave me a countdown to Start Burn, rotated attitude, then started the hovers at the correct time, and came straight into the pad. The only thing odd was that at less then a meter altitude, just over the pad, it kinda just hung there, so I turned off HLD, and throttled down a bit, it landed just fine. Don't forget to lower your gear, I usually do that when the voice says 'You're clear to land'.
I'll run it a couple more times to make sure what I said was right.
I haven't tried Glideslope and BaseSync yet, can't seem to get them to sync with one another.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Yes, it even shows up on my MFD menu items. Oh, should it be activated in the launchpad modules?
BaseSync says it’s synced with GS2, but, it just doesn’t seem to act correctly. I’ll have to try again. First time I tried either, probably just a learning curve.

thermocalc

Reaction score
thank you Arvil! and sorry if I read your post only now...i will try what you suggested using both MFDs.
I am not familiar with HoverMFD (I know it exists, but i never used it; but as you said that it can also land on airless and thin atmosphere planets as Mars i just re-downloaded and print the manual to read it, so i will also give it a try....it is nice to know that many different MFDs can accomplish the same tasks).
:cheers:

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Not a problem. Enjoy.
I also tried it several more times. You don’t have to do a deorbit burn, Pursuit does it for you. I tried it from orbit about 90 km, just within the atmosphere, worked just fine. I notice going east, it brings the DG right over the base buildings, which you would not do in a real flight. So, I tried a longitude and latitude just a bit south of the pads to avoid the buildings and hold at elevation 50 m, but Pursuit doesn’t like to change target at that point, so I just flew manually to the pad. HoverMFD would work well from there.
I did about 4 runs in the same scenario all in the same Mars Sol; was done by mid-afternoon, one orbit each trial. Sorta like an airplane touch-and-go.

thermocalc

Reaction score
Hi, just a small update to my attempts.
I managed to land on Olympus using PursuitMFD, by approx 100x100km orbit, letting the MFD to manage the deorbit burn and all remaining landing.
(Actually, also Max-Q kindly suggested the same course of action in the meanwhile)
I will try HoverMFD on the Moon and Mars as next steps; before attempting "Mars / Earth aerobraking" and or "Earth landings" ... but for these latest tasks I am still trying to understand how to do, re-watching David C. and Dimitris videos...so i will not bother you with may failures :cool:
thanks again for your help/suggestions.