Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
^^This, plus much better ventilation. You don't really care if it's producing more heat if all that heat is outside your case... ;)

EDIT: Since you mention heat problems, that might actually be a reason for bluescreens. CPU's usually shut down when overheating, but RAM doesn't. so if your system temperature climbs to obscene heights, that might well be a possible source of the trouble. Like, The CPU manages to stay cool enough, but the whole system gets too warm to work relyably.

Last edited:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
9u6zn.jpg

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
No matter how good the PSU, I still fail to see how generating more power can equal less heat. :dry:

*snip*

Because you won't be generating/using more power! :)

In my desktop I have a 620W PSU from Corsair, but this doesn't mean that it is continually using that much power. That would be horrible. It means that the PSU is rated to give the system UP TO that much power, IF it is needed.

Most likely a 450W PSU from a good brand (Corsair is an example, you see their PSUs live and they really feel rock-solid, but of course there are many other brands such as Enermax, BeQuiet!, Antec, Tagan and so on) is enough if having a "normal", non overclocked system with a single, not high-end GPU. Reviews are a good help.

You want a good PSU, not a cheap no-name PSU with a big number on it's side, promising things it most likely won't deliver for long, if at all.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
is enough if having a "normal", non overclocked system with a single, not high-end GPU.

It's easily enough even for mid-end to high-end nowadays, unless you're having all kinds of weird stuff that eats additional power (USB drive rampage, yay!). The new generation of GPU's eat a lot less power per cycle than they did 5 years ago, so much so that my new card, which eats the old one for breakfast when it comes to computing power, eats less power even at full burn.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Since you mention heat problems, that might actually be a reason for bluescreens. CPU's usually shut down when overheating, but RAM doesn't. so if your system temperature climbs to obscene heights, that might well be a possible source of the trouble. Like, The CPU manages to stay cool enough, but the whole system gets too warm to work relyably.
I'm sure I've mentioned that as a possible cause on the forums before, but everyone started saying that overheating causes emergency shutdowns, and not bluescreens, to be honest, I wasn't too sure if they were right either.

Since I have the most horribly ventilated case in the world, I think for now I'll leave the side off, and maybe put an oscillating fan next to it just to be sure. :cheers:
At least until I can get a better PSU or some ventilating fans.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Got a new puppy to arrive next month (she's only two weeks old now!) She's a large (well, someday going to be large) German shepherd mix. Anyone have any name suggestions? :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
With some programming skills, you can also try kernel debugging on a Windows crash dump, you just need to make sure in the system settings, that your Windows does save the WHOLE memory contents on HD.

The process is mostly automatic, and can already give you good indications. In my case, it helped finding a bad RAM module, that 48 hours of MemTest86 did not find.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Got a new puppy to arrive next month (she's only two weeks old now!) She's a large (well, someday going to be large) German shepherd mix. Anyone have any name suggestions? :)
Laika

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

German shepherd mix? Female? [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blondi"]Blondi[/ame]. :lol: (Sorry, I dislike German shepherds, not because the dogs are bad, but because the typical German German shepherd owners are really evil)

Usually, our dogs already had a name from their birth on, and we kept it.

I would go by a simple name - dogs and complex names don't mix. Maximal two syllables. Since it is a mix...why not Laika? ;)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Laika and Nelly are nice...the rest of the family seems intent on Bella...which I can't stand. For me, Bella will always be a talking frog on The Magic Schoolbus. :lol:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I'd say they seem to hit after 20 minutes to half an hour, it doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, it's happened while I was playing Minecraft, while I've been browsing the web, while I've been doing nothing, while I've been listening to music etc.

I'll give memtest a go, as for scanning a few folders at a time, apart from the fact it's time consuming, I'd say it would be very ineffective, as the virus (If it is a virus), could easily transfer in between scans.

Edit: Will memtest86 work correctly? I am running a 64-bit system after all.

Memtest86+, at least, seems to support x86_64. Even without that, x86_64 is fully back compatible with 32 bit x86, and you have less than 4GB of memory, so it shouldn't matter if memtest supports 64-bit anyways.

Aside from memtest, you could also try running a Linux LiveCD (preferably a fairly small distribution like Puppy Linux or D*mn Small Linux so as to be able to download it and burn a CD between bluescreens). In general, if the problem is software related (a Windows driver issue), you'll most likely find that the LiveCD runs fine. If the problem is hardware related, you'll most likely experience kernel panics in the LiveCD environment.

I'm sure I've mentioned that as a possible cause on the forums before, but everyone started saying that overheating causes emergency shutdowns, and not bluescreens, to be honest, I wasn't too sure if they were right either.

In my experience, overheating generally causes lockups rather than bluescreens, on account of safety features meant to prevent damage from overheating. However, if overheating actually manages to cause damage to some component, that could very well cause bluescreens (and once the damage was done, the machine would not necessarily need to be overheating for bluescreens to occur).

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
attachment.php

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Aside from memtest, you could also try running a Linux LiveCD (preferably a fairly small distribution like Puppy Linux or D*mn Small Linux so as to be able to download it and burn a CD between bluescreens). In general, if the problem is software related (a Windows driver issue), you'll most likely find that the LiveCD runs fine. If the problem is hardware related, you'll most likely experience kernel panics in the LiveCD environment.
I'm starting to think this might be a software issue rather than a RAM issue as I've been thinking so far, as last time I was having bluescreen issues (They seem to get really bad and then calm down for a while) I had Ubuntu installed and never had a problem with it.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Then you'll be easiest served by clean system. Depending on the amount of software you'll have to re-install, though. I only have a small amount of essential software that I have to reinstall every time, so when my system goes completely haywire I'm better of spending a day wiping and re-installing than spending a week figuring out where the hell the trouble lies. I still have the old habit of not having any essential data on my c: disk from the days of Win 95 (which needed a wipe at least once a year), though, so I can just format the disk without any concern...

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
A clean install is definitely not an option for me, it'd take weeks to get all my software back. :dry: