Humor Random Comments Thread

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I figure with the rock salt the dude has a choice to make... He can either stay down and writhe in pain. Or he can decide to get up and go for round number 2.

Either way, the 'cruiser wins.

You mean Battleship.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Why would there be advertisements for IE9?
What's the point of advertising something, that you either already have when you can use it, or don't have when you can't use it?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What's the point of advertising something, that you either already have when you can use it, or don't have when you can't use it?

Maybe for preventing people from replacing it by a "safer" browser. Which would be Lynx.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those who know binary, and those who don't.
There are up to 1 types of people in the world.
Those who make fencepost errors, and those who don't.

Maybe for preventing people from replacing it by a "safer" browser. Which would be Lynx.
:lol: I suppose 'safe' is one word for it.

Tailored to a very specific use though, isn't it? "I really need to look up this Linux command but don't have the infrastructure to run much of anything."

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
BTW, what I can't yet verify by a web link, but what might be interesting, especially for Notebook: EADS Astrium plans to invest 10 million Euros into the rocket engine test center Trauen. They had it in the regional TV news, together with an interview of a former coworker of me.

Not really much money, but it means that Trauen will not be closed, it is the site where Eugen Sänger developed his first space plane and where the third stage of the Europa rocket had been test-fired. A very historic place, that is sadly only a few steps away from being a job for archeologists.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

Because most other browsers are multi-platform. If people get used to using multiplatform software, they might decide they don't need Windows anymore.

If people decided they didn't need Windows anymore, Microsoft might go bankrupt.

And we wouldn't want that, now would we? :lol:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Supposition:

Had Gandalf the Grey decided NOT to translate the tengwar over Durin's Gate, AND read them verbatim (in the standard mode of Sindarin, "Ennyn Durin atan Moria. Pedo 'Mellon' a minno."):

1: The doors would have opened immediately.
2: Peregrin Took would've had one less opportunity to embarrass himself.
3: Gandalf would most likely have won back a few Cool Points (that he undoubtedly lost leading the Fellowship up that pointless trek up Caradhras), and
4: The Fellowship wouldn't have been bothered by that massive squid.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Supposition:

Had Gandalf the Grey decided NOT to translate the tengwar over Durin's Gate, AND read them verbatim (in the standard mode of Sindarin, "Ennyn Durin atan Moria. Pedo 'Mellon' a minno."):

1: The doors would have opened immediately.
2: Peregrin Took would've had one less opportunity to embarrass himself.
3: Gandalf would most likely have won back a few Cool Points (that he undoubtedly lost leading the Fellowship up that pointless trek up Caradhras), and
4: The Fellowship wouldn't have been bothered by that massive squid.
Having only finished the first book, and not seen the movies....I UNDERSTAND THIS! :D

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Do you really mean to tell me you haven't seen the LOTR movies?
Dude, see them:) I mean it:thumbup:
I promise you that by the end of Return of the King, you will say "Screw the Probe. Hail Gandalf!"

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
!

Do you really mean to tell me you haven't seen the LOTR movies?
I promise you that by the end of Return of the King, you will say "Screw the Probe. Hail Gandalf!"

BLASPHEMER!!!

Linguofreak

Reaction score

See the first one at least. The second two are decent flicks, but for anyone who read the books first they're a bit disappointing, given that they're typical "Hollywood always screws up horribly when it adapts books without the author's direct involvement" movies.

Then again, if you're not the type of person that minds what Hollywood does to books, you may as well see them.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
See the first one at least. The second two are decent flicks, but for anyone who read the books first they're a bit disappointing, given that they're typical "Hollywood always screws up horribly when it adapts books without the author's direct involvement" movies.

Then again, if you're not the type of person that minds what Hollywood does to books, you may as well see them.

All three aren't really bad even if you have read the books. Compared to other literature adaptions it is true to the story.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score

I know that feel...*cough*Jack Ryan*Cough*

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
All three aren't really bad even if you have read the books. Compared to other literature adaptions it is true to the story.

They messed with the characters a bit too much for my tastes, and most of the time for no really good reason. Were those two dramatic scenes really justification enough to make Faramir a whimp with daddy issues? (In addition, those scenes mostly made no sense at all. Although the assault on Osgiliath had a nice apocalyptic feeling to it, what moron charges a city on horseback? Did they think the walls would panic and run away?)

In general, the movies do a decent Job of retelling the story, but they don't quite get the feeling right. Only the extended edition of the first one kinda can evoke the poetic charm of the books, but the other two are mostly too much whining, too few people who know what they are doing, and too little eloquent language (The pure use of language was the element that carried the books really. I read it in German for the first time and didn't understand what the whole fuss was about. Read it in english later, and thought I was reading a different book...). And too many american accents. Yes. Look at Game of Thrones. Hire brits! :lol:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Just had a nice night of some amateur astronomy. Got great views of Jupiter's cloud bands and its moons, plus a nice view of Venus just before Sunrise. I also got a few DSO's including the Orion nebula, and the Pleiades cluster.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just had a nice noght of some amateur astronomy. Got great views of Jupiter's cloud bands and its moons

You can make out jupiters cloud bands? must be one hell of an "amateur" telescope :blink:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
You can make out jupiters cloud bands? must be one hell of an "amateur" telescope :blink:

102mm refractor. You can see the GRS too when it's on the side you're viewing.

Here's a picture taken by another telescope of about the same specifications.
image002640-thumb.jpg

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
102mm refractor.

Wow. These things have gotten reeeeally good nowadays, I see.

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

I was just sitting and wondering if recording music from a webstream is actually covered by piracy laws. Technically it shouldn't be treated any different from good old taping... ?

ProAuroraX

Resident Insane Person
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've been playing orbiter for around 18 hours straight now. Just been doing a realtime mission with Eridanus, deploying one of my own satellites. Everything was successful. Now to reenter.