Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Damn, you mean economically, not historically.

Then it is the Energia rocket, which is related to the Naro rocket that is planned to launch next week... but how you add China there into the equation, evades me. But the Energia is also in US rockets (Atlas V, RD-180 engine)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Damn, you mean economically, not historically.

Then it is the Energia rocket, which is related to the Naro rocket that is planned to launch next week... but how you add China there into the equation, evades me. But the Energia is also in US rockets (Atlas V, RD-180 engine)

YES!!!!! :woohoo:

Zenit-2_rocket_ready_for_launch.jpg

I was thinking about the Zenit rocket, probably one of the best clean-sheet orbital rocket design ever. Powered by the most powerful liquid rocket engine available today (the RD-171, with four combustion chambers), the stage combustion kerosene engine and its derivatives ends up everywhere since the 1990s:

Atlas III/V (RD-180, with two combustion chambers)
Angara (RD-191, with a single combustion chamber)
The 2/3 Korean Naro rocket (basically using a down-rated RD-191)

...and there are talks about Aerojet probably bidding for the future "Advanced Boosters program" of the not-sure-it-will-ever-fly SLS with an "Americanized" RD-180, not to mention that the future disposable version of the SSME has design features that comes from its Russian counterpart, the RD-0120 of Energia-Buran fame. Oh and the first stage of the soon-to-fly Antares is basically a shortened Zenit first stage, build by the very same company. For slightly far-fetched relationships, how about a proposal of a RD-191 powered Soyuz (replacing the NK-33 on the no-booster Soyuz 2-1v), or the fact that the Falcon 9 uses the same horizontal rollout, erect on to clean pad method as the Zenit?

Grunt_3big.jpg

Dragon-C3_1big.jpg

As for the Chinese relation: well it's a bit complicated, but here's the story: in the 1990's, when the Chinese put our their first ever design effort at a clean sheet satellite launcher project, they look out for foreign help, and ended up buying a RD-120, the 800 kN stage-combustion kerosene engine that powers the Zenit's second stage. Then they reverse-engineered it and planned to put it as the first stage and booster engines for the new launcher family. In the end they modified it into a larger engine with roughly 1.2 MN of thrust. Named the YF-100, this kerosene engine will become the universal rocket engine of the new Chinese rocket fleet, with uses from the Vega-class Long March 6 to the EELV Heavy/Ariane 5-class Long March 5! Even the Zenit second stage's vernier engines were re-designed into a single chamber engine, and will power the second stages of the small/medium sized versions, the Long March 6 and 7 series.

1011201842ad7d3f01811dc650.jpg

The YF-100 kerosene rocket engine

CZ-NGLV.jpg

The next-generation line-up of China's new rockets

MattBaker

Reaction score
113 years ago little Bobby climbed a cherry tree, years later he created the first liquid-fueled rocket. This year we successfully landed a car-sized rover on Mars, launched by a liquid-fueled rocket. Thanks for climbing trees Mr Goddard!:thumbup:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
YES!!!!! :woohoo:

Zenit-2_rocket_ready_for_launch.jpg

I was thinking about the Zenit rocket, probably one of the best clean-sheet orbital rocket design ever. Powered by the most powerful liquid rocket engine available today (the RD-171, with four combustion chambers), the stage combustion kerosene engine and its derivatives ends up everywhere since the 1990s:

Atlas III/V (RD-180, with two combustion chambers)
Angara (RD-191, with a single combustion chamber)
The 2/3 Korean Naro rocket (basically using a down-rated RD-191)

...and there are talks about Aerojet probably bidding for the future "Advanced Boosters program" of the not-sure-it-will-ever-fly SLS with an "Americanized" RD-180, not to mention that the future disposable version of the SSME has design features that comes from its Russian counterpart, the RD-0120 of Energia-Buran fame. Oh and the first stage of the soon-to-fly Antares is basically a shortened Zenit first stage, build by the very same company. For slightly far-fetched relationships, how about a proposal of a RD-191 powered Soyuz (replacing the NK-33 on the no-booster Soyuz 2-1v), or the fact that the Falcon 9 uses the same horizontal rollout, erect on to clean pad method as the Zenit?

Grunt_3big.jpg

Dragon-C3_1big.jpg

As for the Chinese relation: well it's a bit complicated, but here's the story: in the 1990's, when the Chinese put our their first ever design effort at a clean sheet satellite launcher project, they look out for foreign help, and ended up buying a RD-120, the 800 kN stage-combustion kerosene engine that powers the Zenit's second stage. Then they reverse-engineered it and planned to put it as the first stage and booster engines for the new launcher family. In the end they modified it into a larger engine with roughly 1.2 MN of thrust. Named the YF-100, this kerosene engine will become the universal rocket engine of the new Chinese rocket fleet, with uses from the Vega-class Long March 6 to the EELV Heavy/Ariane 5-class Long March 5! Even the Zenit second stage's vernier engines were re-designed into a single chamber engine, and will power the second stages of the small/medium sized versions, the Long March 6 and 7 series.

1011201842ad7d3f01811dc650.jpg

The YF-100 kerosene rocket engine

CZ-NGLV.jpg

The next-generation line-up of China's new rockets

Where are zenits in the sky? Does the word mean horizon, or something similar to apogee (ie the zenith in english)?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Where are zenits in the sky? Does the word mean horizon, or something similar to apogee (ie the zenith in english)?

Zenith is the direction straight up from your location, away from the center of the planet. The opposite is nadir.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, I spent most of my day standing atop the MFP "B" oil tank getting the controls set. SO, once we finish the HP and LP valve stroke calibration we can almost put this one to bed as well. However, there was some problem from the time response guys (this test has failed twice now). Something, somewhere is cause the time response test for the feed pump to fail (this is to prove that feedwater valves can close within a specific time frame). Don't know much about it, I'm a turbine guys.

The "shiny pipe" people are finally getting access to their stuff as well. I think we are where we'd need to be halfway through the outage (instead of day 40 of 30?). And I was right... There are some managers that are very unsure of their future (evil laught goes here...).

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
First day of working. Grand opening at the long-awaited campus Raising Cane's. Tons of people all day. I worked 6hrs assembling boxes. Just waited an hour in line to get some food for myself. :p WORTH IT!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I think we are where we'd need to be halfway through the outage (instead of day 40 of 30?). And I was right... There are some managers that are very unsure of their future (evil laught goes here...).
So you should have been fully operational and making light isotopes 10 days ago?

Why couldn't the said managers just have set an 80 days outage from the start, and keep the work at the current rate, thus avoiding both blame and making false promises?
Have they heard of a concept of error margin?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
So you should have been fully operational and making light isotopes 10 days ago?

Why couldn't the said managers just have set an 80 days outage from the start, and keep the work at the current rate, thus avoiding both blame and making false promises?
Have they heard of a concept of error margin?

Yes, we should have "hit the line" (tie to the grid) 12 days ago, and been at full power on the 10th.

We're being "managed" and I use the term loosely, by morons. They refuse to listen to the craft, who tell them that task x takes time y... Instead they will say that "Well, do task x in y-(arbitrary time)" and then go tell thier boss the new time frame. They do this (I think) in order to finger point at us and say that we are not working hard/effectively/smart/efficient enough.

I've got an idea of which managers have their necks on the block. The axe should start swinging here in a day or two.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That is what leading your leaders means today... lead them to the gallows pole. :rolleyes:

Really, such business manners can only be fixed by one thing: Let them sign the time schedules and be responsible that their estimates are outside the experiences and procedures. I would not put my name under such a time estimate...

I know that I personally also have the tendency to "What time schedule does the customer want?", instead of "What time does it take?"... but generally, my time schedules are rock solid, even when I tried to optimize things a bit.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I spent most of my day standing atop the MFP "B" oil tank getting the controls set. SO, once we finish the HP and LP valve stroke calibration we can almost put this one to bed as well. However, there was some problem from the time response guys (this test has failed twice now). Something, somewhere is cause the time response test for the feed pump to fail (this is to prove that feedwater valves can close within a specific time frame). Don't know much about it, I'm a turbine guys.

The "shiny pipe" people are finally getting access to their stuff as well. I think we are where we'd need to be halfway through the outage (instead of day 40 of 30?). And I was right... There are some managers that are very unsure of their future (evil laught goes here...).

Yeah, Id imagine it would take a lot to get an actual nuclear technician fired. There cant be many people with the necessary training who also feel comfortable with risking their lives on a day-to-day basis. :tiphat: to all the brave people who work in that field.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If working as nuclear reactor technician is about risking your life, something is terribly wrong... Your job is making sure nobody has EVER to risk his life.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Yes, we should have "hit the line" (tie to the grid) 12 days ago, and been at full power on the 10th.

We're being "managed" and I use the term loosely, by morons. They refuse to listen to the craft, who tell them that task x takes time y... Instead they will say that "Well, do task x in y-(arbitrary time)" and then go tell thier boss the new time frame. They do this (I think) in order to finger point at us and say that we are not working hard/effectively/smart/efficient enough.

I've got an idea of which managers have their necks on the block. The axe should start swinging here in a day or two.

I saw on your account that you're at Watts Bar. There's a chance my dad might know your plant manager.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score