Humor Random Comments Thread

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
:ahem:

Engineering%20procedures.jpg

:rofl:
That's the story of my calculus class right there: make it as non-intuitive as possible for your students and give elaborate proofs for everything. The book is largely to blame. It seems like what this university covers in 4 semesters of calculus is what high school AP covered in one year. And you didn't have to be a mathematician to learn in the high school class.

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
nice video

ISS Startrails - TRONized from Christoph Malin
[ame="http://vimeo.com/51499009"]ISS Startrails - TRONized on Vimeo[/ame] (i recommend the download)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Playing Oblivion today...got to the part with the Shrine of Azura....stood there for about 10 minutes poking it, before realizing my mistake.

"Hey...do something...wait a sec."
>mfw

kw54D.jpg

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I saw on your account that you're at Watts Bar. There's a chance my dad might know your plant manager.

That's pretty cool. Our site VP seems to be a OK guy, he got quite a few things fixed during his tenure here. A couple of which were on my "this stuff aggrevates the crap outta me" list. I usually work the midnight shift so I don't see him often, but I do see him in passing. Like I said, he's pretty OK.

I don't tend to get to know the muckety-mucs well though. They only stay around for a cycle or two before they move on, up or out. Site managers, VP's, Maintenance managers or what-have-you all rotate in and out so often that I usually don't care about them one way or another. Maintenance techs (mechanical, electrical or I&C such as myself) stick around for decades.

Nuclear power is far more safe than the fossil power plants I've been to in my career. Although, if you turn on the aspirating air to a coal furnace and open the hatch while it's online, you can see a pretty cool sight. At Bull Run it sort of looks like a flaming tornado, that's the best way to describe it that I can come up with. It doesn't look like anything that I can explain with any accuracy. But one of the coolest things I've ever seen with my own eyes. And the only thing holding in place is air; and the waterwall tubing keeps the temperature down. The furnace wall generally runs 150 degrees or so, but main steam is 1050, at 3500 psi.

Our main steam isn't nearly at that temperature or pressure. Because it's pretty easy to bring down a fossil plant and replace boiler tubes. A steam generator at a nuclear plant is another matter entirely.

Anyway, nuclear maintenance is often cumbersome, due to the regulations involved. There are dangerous elements every now and again, but it is drastically reduced due to the processes the nuclear industry have implemented.

And, there are engineering controls in place to where (basically) it's designed to not run. If anything goes awry, the plant will shut itself down (in theory) safely if the unit operator just sits on his hands. TMI (Three Mile Island) became such a problem because the operators insisted on trying to stay online, while the plant was doing what it could to trip off.

Don't ever watch "The China Syndrome" and think that that is the way things are. There are more flaws in that movie than in Armegeddon if you know what your looking for.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Listening to Starfloor at Bercy. This is the way to think how bad the singers sings, but how great the instrumentals can be !

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I wonder why does the logo of Erisioni look like a Celtic triskele?

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I can't believe this song came out in 1968.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Arrived at work to a most welcome sight; steam is blowing out the roof of the valve vault rooms. We've finally made it to mode 4.

There are a few remaining problems regarding the appendix "R" crap. Several runs of tubing have found to be... well... The modification group didn't exactly make the fittings up, so there were (and still are) some leaks to be repaired (be they welds or compression).

So there's that, and there was a generator stator-water leak in a really, really, really bad location (under the generator). Gettting to that was a royal pain, but the repair has been made and the testing is going on right now.

Because of the ongoing issues, we're holding the temperature to 202 degress. So while we are in mode 4, we are only barely in mode 4. Some of us think that we were not really ready for it, but that some bunch of the morons (I mean managers) are just trying to make a political statement... I think it's far too late for that. Beneath the noise of the steam vents, I hear the grinding of axes.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Arrived at work to a most welcome sight; steam is blowing out the roof of the valve vault rooms. We've finally made it to mode 4.

There are a few remaining problems regarding the appendix "R" crap. Several runs of tubing have found to be... well... The modification group didn't exactly make the fittings up, so there were (and still are) some leaks to be repaired (be they welds or compression).

So there's that, and there was a generator stator-water leak in a really, really, really bad location (under the generator). Gettting to that was a royal pain, but the repair has been made and the testing is going on right now.

Because of the ongoing issues, we're holding the temperature to 202 degress. So while we are in mode 4, we are only barely in mode 4. Some of us think that we were not really ready for it, but that some bunch of the morons (I mean managers) are just trying to make a political statement... I think it's far too late for that. Beneath the noise of the steam vents, I hear the grinding of axes.

I sure hope that things are not worse at the Chinese nuclear power plants 30 miles from my home...... :shifty:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

So you literally just have steam leaking in various parts of your plumbing? That sounds like the ultimate :facepalm: moment

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So you literally just have steam leaking in various parts of your plumbing? That sounds like the ultimate :facepalm: moment

Actually not, it is secondary steam, not primary coolant boiling away. The hot water from the reactor is running through a heat exchanger and boils the water from the secondary loop, that drives the turbine. (There is no mixing of the water)

If the turbine or other parts of the secondary loop are off-line and the pressure has to be kept low, while the reactor is already on the loop, you vent steam and pump new water into the secondary to keep the level.

What steams where depends on the actual plumbing and thus, on the generation of the reactor. The later models have way more steam paths in the secondary to increase the efficiency, especially at low power levels.

If you see steam raising from the containment vessel, you should run. And if you see lots of steam leaving the exhaust stack of the reactor (if it has any) and not the cooling tower, you should run even more.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
As long as the place doesnt go K-19 on our asses, I trust PC :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As long as the place doesnt go K-19 on our asses, I trust PC :p

PC doesn't drive the reactor, AFAIK, he is only responsible for making it possible to cool it. :lol:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually not, it is secondary steam, not primary coolant boiling away. The hot water from the reactor is running through a heat exchanger and boils the water from the secondary loop, that drives the turbine. (There is no mixing of the water)

If the turbine or other parts of the secondary loop are off-line and the pressure has to be kept low, while the reactor is already on the loop, you vent steam and pump new water into the secondary to keep the level.

What steams where depends on the actual plumbing and thus, on the generation of the reactor. The later models have way more steam paths in the secondary to increase the efficiency, especially at low power levels.

If you see steam raising from the containment vessel, you should run. And if you see lots of steam leaving the exhaust stack of the reactor (if it has any) and not the cooling tower, you should run even more.

So the radioactive isotopes do irradiate the first step in steam transfer. I doubt running would help that much :lol:, unless theres some sort of a shielded area nearby. Out of curiosity, how much do you know about NTR engines?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Out of curiosity, how much do you know about NTR engines?

The institute of spaceflight at my local university was once the institute of nuclear reactor technology. But then the Russkis littered the contents of a nuclear reactor over Canada and civilian nuclear power became unpopular in Germany.

Still, the people at this institute are experts on nuclear reactors in space and nuclear reactor technology, especially about spaceflight versions, is still part of the lectures, which I attended until lately to go into the car industry. So, BTW, did you already notice my "Ask me about beam core engines" shirt?

Also I find it pretty poor, to be opposed to nuclear reactors on Earth, if you are not capable of arguing in a reasonable rational way, why you are against it. PhantomCruiser would be rather a "The reactor pressure vessel is half full" type, and I would be rather a "The RPV is half empty" guy...

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The institute of spaceflight at my local university was once the institute of nuclear reactor technology. But then the Russkis littered the contents of a nuclear reactor over Canada and civilian nuclear power became unpopular in Germany.

Still, the people at this institute are experts on nuclear reactors in space and nuclear reactor technology, especially about spaceflight versions, is still part of the lectures, which I attended until lately to go into the car industry. So, BTW, did you already notice my "Ask me about beam core engines" shirt?

Also I find it pretty poor, to be opposed to nuclear reactors on Earth, if you are not capable of arguing in a reasonable rational way, why you are against it. PhantomCruiser would be rather a "The reactor pressure vessel is half full" type, and I would be rather a "The RPV is half empty" guy...

I cant agree more. Its depressing how many people, especially of my generation are against things like nuclear power, simply because its a risk. If the dangers of nuclear power are manageable its stupid to argue against them simply because "a disaster could happen".

On the subject of NTRs, could you spare the time to download this package, run it and give me a check on my estimation

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5841"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5841[/ame]

Given the style of it I decided that the shuttle D was going to be NTR powered, but Im still not really sure whether my numbers are accurate enough to claim a future concept design. I chose a range of about 7200-9000 ISP in metric units and 20000 N thrust from the main engine, the former estimate coming from the NERVA stats, the latter from its russian couterpart, but Im having a hard time finding a baseline because the engine compartment appears a fair bit bigger than the russian one, while Nerva itself is probably bigger than the entire ship.