Humor Random Comments Thread

APDAF

Reaction score
Spacethingy said:
In other news, I accidentally put a metal spoon in a microwave, yet nothing happened... :shifty:

It should not do anything anyway (other than heat up ) as it is only forks and other multi-pronged objects that arc.
Or you did not turn it on.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It should not do anything anyway (other than heat up ) as it is only forks and other multi-pronged objects that arc.
Or you did not turn it on.

Is it arcing or some sort of reflection that's associated with reduced magnetron life?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Is it arcing or some sort of reflection that's associated with reduced magnetron life?

According to Wikipedia, it's when nothing is there to absorb the microwaves. This includes running the oven with nothing in it, running it with dehydrated food, or running it with the only exposed object being non-arcing metal (such as a spoon, or food wrapped in a non-arcing arrangment of tinfoil). But it's not just the presence of non-arcing metal that causes the damage, it's there being nothing else in the microwave (or at least, nothing that isn't surrounded by the metal).

Arcing has its own hazards (mostly to the user, through UV and noxious gases), but none of them (except fire from flammable objects in the microwave being lit by the arc) damage the magnetron, AFAIK.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Party Rocket's in the house tonight...

picture.php

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Felix Magath had been fired as manager of the VfL Wolfsburg. Günther-Lorentz Köster is taking over now, which isn't really bad. Köstner usually trains the second team, but in 2010, he already replaced Armin Veh as manager of the first team and managed to reach a 8th place and a EuropaLeague qualification at the end of the season. Still, the bad news will come... the only available managers and trainers on the market here are extremely bad. There are already rumors of Christian Nerlinger becoming manager here.

I already fear Lothar Matthäus taking over here.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Ever heard of a zombie....... planet!? :uhh:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/52162514"]http://vimeo.com/52162514[/ame]

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Gotta love the campus Internet sometimes.

Oh, and I did this test because the internet seemed a little slow. :lol:

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, everytime I see or hear the word "crumpet", I think of something like a small croissant instead of what a crumpet actually looks like.

Everytime I see or hear the word crumpet (or cricket), I think of the scene in the first TMNT movie (the original ones) where Casey Jones pulls out the cricket bat.

"New game, roundhead. Cricket."

"Cricket?!? Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!!"

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
From Watts Bar... Day 46 of 30. There is a tremendous push to get to Mode 2 today, I'm pretty apethetic about whether they make that goal or not.

I got to say one of my signature lines already today; "Is this the point in the outage where I get to tell you 'I told you so?" The look on his face (my manager) was priceless. I'm sure he'd like to say something, but can't risk it at this critical point in his career.

Mode 2 is attainable, but I'm sitting on 3 pretty big mode 1 restrictions ("A" and "B" feed pumps and, hmm, what else?... Ah! Oh yes, the main turbine/generator). All the times over the past 3 weeks or so that I've been bugging "them" for time to do the work on my schedule, and have been pressed into working whatever was #1 priority at the time is coming back to haunt them in a big way. I'm trying not to gloat (really), but hey, it's pretty hard to not giggle a bit when they (now) tell me how important my work is.

If we (our crew) get our way, today we will run the overspeed test (with live steam) on the "A" feed pump, which will release it for service. Still quite a bit of work on "B". All I need for the main turbine is a few oil pressure tests, the Seimens guys have to pressure test their generator repairs, and a little bit of coorperation from Ops.

Well see how it goes. The prevailing phrase is "The finish line is in sight", then I'll add; "Just make sure it's not a tripping hazzard".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You use steam-driven main feed pumps??? :blink: Thats pretty steam-punky.

(I thought nuclear reactors use electric feed pumps, since you also need circulation, when no steam is available)

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
We've got a motor-driven feed pump, but it's for emergency use when we shut down. There are 2 trains (2 pumps each) for aux feedwater (start-up and shut down during normal ops, and another steam driven aux FW pump (just in case).

Steam-punky? That's good! Hopefully in a few hours I'll be running up the "A" feed pump for overspeed. It moves 750,000 pounds of steam per hour, without a calulator I think that crosses over to about a million gallons of water/hr? Anyway, I'm trying to find the pumps horsepower rating, but I'm going to be controlling this thing by hand with the oil control system (that I rebuilt). It's gonna be cool.:cool:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Steam-punky? That's good! Hopefully in a few hours I'll be running up the "A" feed pump for overspeed. It moves 750,000 pounds of steam per hour, without a calulator I think that crosses over to about a million gallons of water/hr? Anyway, I'm trying to find the pumps horsepower rating, but I'm going to be controlling this thins by hand with the oil control system (that I rebuilt). It's gonna be cool.:cool:

If it consumes ~100 kg steam per second, it is going to be pretty powerful. :thumbup: If I remember correctly, that means approx. 30 m³/s of volume flow.

Wasn't turbine power something along mass flow * pressure drop? Or was it volume flow? Damn, what a year in the car industry can do to your engineering memory. The only turbines here are in the turbocharger, and these are rather cute than powerful. :lol:

What ever you do, resist the urge to shout "We need MOOOOOOOOAAAAAAR power" when starting the overspeed test.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
:rofl:
I'll either be grunting like a gorilla, or speaking in a cheesy Scottish accent; I have not yet decided.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In other news: Don Silvio was sentenced to 4 years in Grande Fratello. ;)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Posting this from Windows 8..... :cool:

Attachments

• Windows 8_1.jpg
    Windows 8_1.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 37