Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Last week my monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 206BW) started acting funny, flikering on and off for a few seconds then turn on. I was afraid that something major broke. Thankfully it was just a trio of capacitors on the PSU that died, which is a $5 fix.

Always research for possible fix before replacing broken stuff, it could save a lot of $$$.

A trio of Capacitors, you don't mess with them!

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor"]Capacitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

N.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yesterday, I told my dad about Minecraft. Hopefully I can get it for my birthday.

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Ah yes the two thousandth post...I've seen things...horrible things...days when the basement didn't exist, and political idiocy invaded the innocentest of threads...days when we weren't guided by our leader Tex...days when Scav streaked nekkid through the chatbox...here's to the time spent, and to another two thousand posts for me!*
:cheers:

*and another 10,000 for urwumpe

Astronut25

Reaction score
Anyone with experience in soldering?

Well, I've got a couple questions before I get the replacement parts and solder them in:

One, does anyone know a good place to get good capacitors? If you want to know, I'm looking for two 1000 and one 470 microfarad 25V (35 would still work) low ESR (aka low impedance) 105C (or better, since the originals were rated that and got cooked).

Another question is how to deal with the glue, some of the parts are glued to others.

This will be the second time I've used a solder gun, any advice is appreciated.

Edit:
I'm currently looking at EEUFR1E102L and EEUFR1E471L for their long life, but I'd have to get them online (Mouser is the cheapest), but the shipping will cost 10x more than the parts are worth, and will take about a week to deliver, and Radio Shack doesnt have any parts that meet the minimum specs.

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It is a long way, but I've finally get some returns to my Blender work for an Orbiter movie:
http://www.renderfarm.fi/animations/10863

Render01.jpg

At least I made the UMmu to move their arms ...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On Nationstates, I guess Orbiteria's password changed? I got inactive for a while and would like to move back...

MattBaker

Reaction score
The lightest noble gas, second most element in the universe, one isotope of it could make moon mining profitable, if you take away every electron and shoot a lot of it into a friend you're likely to attend a funeral and if you breath it you sound like the most famous character from the studio that just bought Star Wars.

Now guess...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sounds really sinister. Must be hell-ium.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Actually, it's dexter and must be ca(e)lcium (in latin caelum=heaven)

First time since school that I used my latin knowledge, thank you Urwumpe:thumbup:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
That job, along with rollercoaster inspector (I have a thing with heights) is so far off the table as a job for me.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That job, along with rollercoaster inspector (I have a thing with heights) is so far off the table as a job for me.

What about becoming hot air balloon pilot? A friend of my family does that hobby, despite not liking height that much. He feels safe in a balloon.

MattBaker

Reaction score
I've once flown in a hot air ballon, it's unbelievable smooth. If you would close your eyes you wouldn't even realize you're not on the ground. It's definitely not comparable to an airplane, where you always have some turbulences and you know you're in the air. I never flew in a helicopter, so I can't compare it to that, but I realize why people used airships to travel over the Atlantic, because you probably don't even know you're flying...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score

You should see the crazy guys that get dressed up in Faraday suits and get out onto the lines (power lines that is...).
And 500 Kv at that. Crazy dudes. Just crazy.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Today in Kerbal Space Program:
I've done my first interplanetary orbit ! Wait, this was unintentional ! I was trying to dock two ships (two Kerbal X stock rockets) ot make a dual burn (one with each ship) to the Mun. And I wanted to fire the engines and ...
screenshot24.png

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I've once flown in a hot air ballon, it's unbelievable smooth. If you would close your eyes you wouldn't even realize you're not on the ground. It's definitely not comparable to an airplane, where you always have some turbulences and you know you're in the air. I never flew in a helicopter, so I can't compare it to that, but I realize why people used airships to travel over the Atlantic, because you probably don't even know you're flying...

Different things.

In a hot air balloon you just stand in there, elevated above the ground.
aus-bal-2.jpg

It's calm, no wind, no accelerations, no sounds.
Main fear is not to burn alive due to a gas tank accident.
Fresh morning air, automated farms below.
Hanging between the heavens and the earth.
Serenity.
aus-bal-1.jpg

Landing can be tricky, however.
No brakes, no steering, whatever field the wind blew you in, there you topple.
aus-bal-3.jpg

Helicopter is an entirely different beast.
It's loud.
You can't hear anything except by the earphones.
You can't hear yourself think without the earphones.
Small, cramped cabin, noticeable accelerations, it's flying around, not hanging between the heavens and the earth.
aus-heli-1.jpg

But you are free to fly over nicer scenery, where a balloon would have been swept away.
Heavier-than-air flying machines don't care about the breeze.
aus-heli-2.jpg

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
I've done my first interplanetary orbit ! Wait, this was unintentional ! I was trying to dock two ships (two Kerbal X stock rockets) ot make a dual burn (one with each ship) to the Mun. And I wanted to fire the engines and ...

NaN space joy rides! Sounds nicely familiar from Orbiter... (my darn addon-managing skills...) :lol:

@Artlav, where's that scenery? That's beautiful.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
screenshot24.png
Wow, they have an entire solar system now! What's next, interstellar spaceflight?