Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Fascinating... the torrent download function of my NAS manages to download DCS:World faster than my old PC - the 30% that my PC managed in a few weekends, had been done by my NAS in 20 minutes...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
45F outside? Dorm A/C says "MAKE IT COLDER".
44F? Dorm A/C says "INCINERATE THESE POOR SOULS".

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Awesome ! That one seems absolutely obvious :

:rofl:

Your post appears to have an img tag in it that references a site that's throwing up a password prompt on my browser:

password_prompt.png

I was about to report it in the Site Support forum as a potential security bug until I took a closer look at the page source and found the image tag in your post.

The image tag is:
HTML:
[img]http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Snowy-Trench-Run-by-Aaron-Dabelow-X-Wing-Blowing-Up-the-Death-Star-in-Real-Life..jpg[/img]

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Your post appears to have an img tag in it that references a site that's throwing up a password prompt on my browser:

password_prompt.png

I was about to report it in the Site Support forum as a potential security bug until I took a closer look at the page source and found the image tag in your post.

The image tag is:
HTML:
[img]http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Snowy-Trench-Run-by-Aaron-Dabelow-X-Wing-Blowing-Up-the-Death-Star-in-Real-Life..jpg[/img]

I was getting the same and so confused! :lol: Thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was just me.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Why is it that when people are told to "read the manual", they generally say "I did already. But it's umpteen-hundred pages! You can't expect me to have memorized it!"?

Have they never heard of a table of contents? Or control-F?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Of course my glasses break after I get to the one state without a Walmart Vision Center.
As far as I can tell, 49 states have it including Alaska, but not Oklahoma! :beathead:

MattBaker

Reaction score
How it should have happened:
P: "Kill him, Anakin!"
D: "Woah wait, that guy is also a sith, but he's much more powerful than me!"
A: "I don't believe you!"
D: "Is there more reason to believe me than believing a corrupt politician?"
A: "What do you want me to do?"
D: "We fight Sidious, kill him, I flee into the outer rim while you say I killed Sidious, but when I got away you saw my spaceship's hull breaching!"
A: "Deal"

Sometimes I really wonder how blind the Jedi were, I would rather team up with Dooku and create a new, better republic than helping a corrupt Sith-Lord creating a dictatorship...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Well it's George Lucas...what do you expect?

In other ramblings...I just read this:

Reddit said:
The NASA approach to safety is based on probablistic design risk analysis. It is only as accurate as our ability to anticipate every failure mode and assign it a precise probability based on a paper design. It pushes the designer to make every system redundant, adding weight and cost which often serve no purpose. This also explains why NASA feels "safer" putting a crew on the second SLS launch than on the tenth Falcon. But the NASA strategy is based on a false premise. In reality most launch vehicle losses are due to failure modes that are not anticipated anywhere in the design process and can be discovered only by repeated testing in actual flight. The solution is not redundancy, but correction of the original flaw in the design. In fact, the O-ring that failed in Challenger was redundant, and thus, by NASA methods, infallible. Thus for launch vehicles at least, the approach taken by SpaceX and ULA under SAAs for the Falcon and Atlas, to fly at least ten missions (and correct any design flaws that are revealed) before putting a crew on a launch vehicle is actually considerably safer, and the ASAP premise the "NASA quality control" strategy leads to safety and industry strategies do not, does not appear consistent with the historical record.

(Original Thread here)
http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceflight/comments/16pyqm/i_read_this_in_a_nasa_watch_comment_it_is_the/

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wait a minute... the O-Ring on Challenger wasn't redundant, it was the only seal... (The backup ring would fail should the primary ring on the same side of the joint fail, since both have to fail for letting gas pass)

447px-Zlacze_miedzysegmentowe_rakiety_SRB_promu_kosmicznego.jpg

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well it's George Lucas...what do you expect?

In other ramblings...I just read this:

(Original Thread here)
http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceflight/comments/16pyqm/i_read_this_in_a_nasa_watch_comment_it_is_the/

So... in less complex-speak, NASA's obsession with redundancy isnt really as effective as they think it is, given that the only guaranteed tool for improving safety & performance is actual data from doing it for real? I might buy that. :hmm:

Obvious proof of concept: Soyuz Rocket. Not suprising that it would have an exceptional reliability rate when it flew so many flights.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don'tcha think?
166499_4525800297586_564980201_n.jpg

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
52184.jpg

But seriously, my younger sister has a hat just like yours. It's alright, I guess.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Dear Fred,

You deserve more of a life than sitting in my hard drive can provide. You deserve to be online.

Online you can have a much more varied, fulfilling life--oh, I know it's scary; people could do all sorts of things to you, but that's life.

So, get the hell out there and don't forget to call every once in a while.

Aeadar

------------------------------

Trying to think of a VSA name somehow came up with,
Equatorial
Launch
Facilities
Syndicate

:hmm:

Last edited:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Dear Fred,

You deserve more of a life than sitting in my hard drive can provide. You deserve to be online.

Online you can have a much more varied, fulfilling life--oh, I know it's scary; people could do all sorts of things to you, but that's life.

So, get the hell out there and don't forget to call every once in a while.

Aeadar

images