Humor Random Comments Thread

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
That still doesn't cover *how* it was shattered.

It was shattered when Elendil fell after being killed by Sauron. Then of course, Isildur used the broken sword to cut the One Ring off of Sauron's hand. Then took the pieces back with him.

Then....things didn't end well for him. And they found their way to Imladris.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Plot holes? No, I don't know them. But you, you...I never forget a face, Mister....Chekov!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Finally saw the hobbit. I really liked how they stuck to the lighthearted tone of the book and didn't try to make things overly dark to align it in style with the later lord of the rings. As such, I totally loved both Rhadaghast and the Goblin King. None the less, there's definitely too much rollercoaster.

Not sure what to make of the inserted Plotaine concerning Az... whossname, the pale Ork. I fully expected him to be killed at the end, thinking that they majorly put him in to have some kind satisfyingly finished plotline for the first film, but then he survived, which means that the plotline will be carried on in the next two, and I'm not really looking forward to that. I like how... whossname, whitehaired dwarf, recounts the story at the campfire, as it is a defining character moment for Thorin, but they could have killed the bugger off right there and then, and used the remaining screentime to at least faintly characterise some of the remaining 12 Dwarfs, who don't get any real characterization at all except for the arrival at Bibo's home.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Finally saw the hobbit. I really liked how they stuck to the lighthearted tone of the book and didn't try to make things overly dark to align it in style with the later lord of the rings. As such, I totally loved both Rhadaghast and the Goblin King. None the less, there's definitely too much rollercoaster.

Not sure what to make of the inserted Plotaine concerning Az... whossname, the pale Ork. I fully expected him to be killed at the end, thinking that they majorly put him in to have some kind satisfyingly finished plotline for the first film, but then he survived, which means that the plotline will be carried on in the next two, and I'm not really looking forward to that. I like how... whossname, whitehaired dwarf, recounts the story at the campfire, as it is a defining character moment for Thorin, but they could have killed the bugger off right there and then, and used the remaining screentime to at least faintly characterise some of the remaining 12 Dwarfs, who don't get any real characterization at all except for the arrival at Bibo's home.

That was Balin. I agree with all points you made there, and I'd like to add: I'm glad they kept the lighthearted tone, but I wish they hadn't made Thorin into Short Aragorn. In the book, he was prone to long prattling during important events (which was lampshaded in the form of Bilbo's contract), and not quite so...moody.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

They could have killed Azog off *at the beginning of the movie* to keep consistency with Tolkien, and then had Bolg (his son, who actually appears in the book as the leader of the goblin horde at the Battle of Five Armies) chasing the party.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, no one expected around three pages (default) of Tolkien discussion. That's pretty random, I guess.

Nobody expects the Noldor inquisition. Did you see my jewel?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
C-c-c-combo Breaker!!!

picture.php

MattBaker

Reaction score
C-c-c-combo Breaker!!!

picture.php

Oh that's easy, since we all know the distance of Earth to the Sun (reason why kilometers rule), how long a year is the Gravitational constant.
*googles the gravitational constant's value*
Yeah, we all do. And now we'll mess up the units so that we end up with a mass of 5*10^20 kilometers and ta-da, we failed the test.

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
My brain is an ass.

Last night on the radio, the reporter said there was a baseball card up for auction, and it might fetch at least 100,000$. Here's the thoughts in my head in the 30seconds after this.

"Is it worth it, its kinda like a heirloom."
"Well, I guess if you were strapped for cash. But who knows how long that card might last."
"Until the check clears."

T_T

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just idly pooched another reentry, and had a glimpse of the afterlife:

afterlife.jpg

. . . and . . . I dunno. The afterlife isn't quite what I expected.

I'll just sit here and eat my lembas bread.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Last night on the radio, the reporter said there was a baseball card up for auction, and it might fetch at least 100,000$.

Enter Bruce Willis, and general mayhem... :p

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
No construction of Death Star will be started before 2016

The White House - We the People:
OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE RESPONSE TO
Secure resources and funding, and begin construction of a Death Star by 2016.

This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For

By Paul Shawcross

The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

• The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
  • The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
  • Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?
However, look carefully (here's how) and you'll notice something already floating in the sky -- that's no Moon, it's a Space Station! Yes, we already have a giant, football field-sized International Space Station in orbit around the Earth that's helping us learn how humans can live and thrive in space for long durations. The Space Station has six astronauts -- American, Russian, and Canadian -- living in it right now, conducting research, learning how to live and work in space over long periods of time, routinely welcoming visiting spacecraft and repairing onboard garbage mashers, etc. We've also got two robot science labs -- one wielding a laser -- roving around Mars, looking at whether life ever existed on the Red Planet.

Keep in mind, space is no longer just government-only. Private American companies, through NASA's Commercial Crew and Cargo Program Office (C3PO), are ferrying cargo -- and soon, crew -- to space for NASA, and are pursuing human missions to the Moon this decade.

Even though the United States doesn't have anything that can do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, we've got two spacecraft leaving the Solar System and we're building a probe that will fly to the exterior layers of the Sun. We are discovering hundreds of new planets in other star systems and building a much more powerful successor to the Hubble Space Telescope that will see back to the early days of the universe.

We don't have a Death Star, but we do have floating robot assistants on the Space Station, a President who knows his way around a light saber and advanced (marshmallow) cannon, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is supporting research on building Luke's arm, floating droids, and quadruped walkers.

We are living in the future! Enjoy it. Or better yet, help build it by pursuing a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field. The President has held the first-ever White House science fairs and Astronomy Night on the South Lawn because he knows these domains are critical to our country's future, and to ensuring the United States continues leading the world in doing big things.

If you do pursue a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field, the Force will be with us! Remember, the Death Star's power to destroy a planet, or even a whole star system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Paul Shawcross is Chief of the Science and Space Branch at the White House Office of Management and Budget

Tell us what you think about this response and We the People.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Those who seem to think NASA has shut down only need to count how many of the links in that response direct to nasa.gov
And that only begins to list what we have going on at this very moment.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Awesome ! That one seems absolutely obvious :

Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship ?

:rofl:

Snowy-Trench-Run-by-Aaron-Dabelow-X-Wing-Blowing-Up-the-Death-Star-in-Real-Life..jpg

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Archimedes might move the Earth with a lever, but NEVER try to open a jar with a knife as a lever. No not what you thought, the knife is probably to old to do any harm, but glass...
And we might need better public transport, I'm not sure about suturing and on Sundays...