Humor Random Comments Thread

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
True story:

I was watching the 2003 film version of the third part of LOTR in my college library today, and just as it reached the exact moment that good old Gollum grabbed that ring thingy at Mount Doom and made the slight mistake of tripping over and before hitting the lava.......

....... the DVD went dead and stuck. Turns out that the disk had a deep scratch that the librarians determine it a w/o.

As Gollum's last words says, "Preciousssssssssssssss.............." Must be the power of the One Ring trying to save itself from destruction and stuck Gollum in mid-air......

:rofl:

I sense that must have been a rather irritating glitch. Of course books cant really scratch...

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You'll never guess what cats are able to, seriously.

Dont even want to think about what my schnauzer will do. Discovered that early on, along with the fact that dogs love to chew up eyeglass frames due to the skin oil on them...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
*cringes in the way only a long-time LotR fan can cringe*
Huh?
It is a ring thingy.
Or maybe no thingy at all, with all the CG around it.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Huh?
It is a ring thingy.
Or maybe no thingy at all, with all the CG around it.

Well, whether GPSST intended it this way or not, it read similarly to "that ring thingy or whatever that's in that movie lol", demonstrating a totally acceptable ignorance which, for whatever reason, makes me cringe. Maybe I'm too elitist. :hide:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is no mere trinket which we speak of here.

'Thingy' hardly seems the appropriate term for such an object that can command so many, forged in Orodruin, the Doom of Man, Isildur's Bane......the One Ring.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
One Ring, made by someone stupid enough not to guard the volcano it can be destroyed in.
Arrogance or not, it would have cost him nothing to put some guards there, just in case.

One Ring, made by someone stupid enough to reach out with a hand it's on towards an intact enemy armed with a sword (movie, don't remember if it happened that way in the book).

MattBaker

Reaction score
One Ring, made by someone stupid enough not to guard the volcano it can be destroyed in.
Arrogance or not, it would have cost him nothing to put some guards there, just in case.

Sauron really liked the ring, somehow he loved it. He loved it and thought that no one would destroy something so valuable. And in the moment you get the ring, you learn to love it too. You can't throw down the ring without throwing down "a part of you" (symbolized in Frodo's finger) into that mountain too and to throw down a part of you into Mount Doom, you have to be selfless and willingly to sacrifice, which Sauron is not and therefore no one else is.

Or to put it like Elrond: "But the only measure that he knows is desire, desire for power; and so he judges all hearts. Into his heart the thought will not enter that any will refuse it, that having the Ring we may seek to destroy it."

Linguofreak

Reaction score
This is no mere trinket which we speak of here.

'Thingy' hardly seems the appropriate term for such an object that can command so many, forged in Orodruin, the Doom of Man, Isildur's Bane......the One Ring.

Plus the fact that "the Ring" is a perfectly acceptable name for it, making "that ring thingy" overly verbose.

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
Restored grandpa's senior picture (RIP). How did I do?

tx9nH.png

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

One Ring, made by someone stupid enough to reach out with a hand it's on towards an intact enemy armed with a sword (movie, don't remember if it happened that way in the book).

There were plenty of guards. The place was swarmed with encamped troops from all over his controlled lands.

But he emptied Mordor cause a certain man showed up at his doorstep with a little army.

No one ever claimed Sauron was a master mind genius when it came to tactics and administration. This wasn't the first time he was defeated after all. His old boss didnt fare to well either.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
One ringy-tingy. Two ringy-tingy...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But he emptied Mordor cause a certain man showed up at his doorstep with a little army.

Not to forgett that said man was acting completely stupid by showing up with his little army at the front door, so that Sauron was certain that he must be the one carrying the ring, and it had gone to his head...

The part where the finger with the ring is cut off is indeed somewhat different in the book. Not overly detailed, but it is clear that it was during combat. I never quite liked the way the film visualized the moment. Isildur being able to break Narsil appart by pulling it from under Saurons foot struck me as especially silly. That is usually not a viable way to break a sword.

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Not to forgett that said man was acting completely stupid by showing up with his little army at the front door, so that Sauron was certain that he must be the one carrying the ring, and it had gone to his head...

He had guts to try it. And thankfully it worked. Long live the King.

Of course, if it hadn't worked..... what a bad way to doom the free peoples to darkness.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

It was rather that he was challenged and had to react. A bit like old Greek legends, in which the bad guy can't simply kill the good guy without losing the favor of the Gods. That is also a parallel to the story of his master, Morgoth, who had been challenged by Fingolfin in front of Angband, but managed to crush the challenger after many days long duel.

Also, why should Sauron have had to worry? That army had been all that had been left for his foes and it would have been an easy decisive battle for him, ending all resistence and making it easier to find the ring, once this tiny problem is history.

The part where the finger with the ring is cut off is indeed somewhat different in the book. Not overly detailed, but it is clear that it was during combat. I never quite liked the way the film visualized the moment. Isildur being able to break Narsil appart by pulling it from under Saurons foot struck me as especially silly. That is usually not a viable way to break a sword.

Didn't Narsil break in the book when Sauron stepped on it? A tiny difference, but yes... well, a sword that breaks when you step on it, instead of just bending, is also no sign of craftmanship, but maybe it was Morgoths corrupting aura that made the sword weak and brittle. But it never broke into 6 parts in the book.