Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141)"

Looks like my graphics problems are really just a driver/kernel communication issue. I have a minidump on my PC for each system lockup, which can be analysed with WinDbg.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So apparently we're getting a battle angel Alita movie directed by Roriguez and produced by James Cameron... Believing that this is actually real feels very, very weird.

That's what it must have felt like for people when they learned that Walt Disney was making a movie out of Snowwhite, except most poeple actually knew who snowwhite was.

Rodriguez, please don't screw this one up.

TerraMimic

Reaction score
Have you seen the trailer yet? Anime eyes in live action looks weird.

I've been looking forward to this movie for a long time. I just hope it comes out better on the big screen than it does on my phone.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Have you seen the trailer yet? Anime eyes in live action looks weird.

They do, but I kind of like the touch. The manga is drawn in a mostly "realistic" style, except for her. I'll have to see how well it works in the movie.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK, looks like my GPU issues are not just caused by the driver issues (despite Version 387 reducing the incident rate), but rather related to GPU temperature... after a longer period at 95-96°C, the GPU simply overheats. Time to disassemble the notebook.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Invert the pattern buffer, that always fixes it.

That Notebook is from 2012, I doubt it has such modern gizmos. Can you maybe lend me one of your wrenches to open the frontside bus valve a bit? :lol:

steph

Reaction score
might also be the thermal paste which glues the heatsink to the GPU. Apparently it loses its thermal conductivity in time. Mine has issues as well, with the incnvenience that I can't easily access the CPU without taking the whole thing apart. I do the vacuum cleaner on the air vents move, though.

It has a silent mode in which it reduces performance in exchange for keeping the fans quiet, and that's been the standard mode for quite a long time now. I can get it out of it, if I keep an eye on Speedfan. Unfortunately, I can't adjust the fan speeds. If it were my choice, I'd probably keep the fans on max the whole time. It's old as well, so I've got a backup of the important stuff, since you never know when it goes.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
might also be the thermal paste which glues the heatsink to the GPU. Apparently it loses its thermal conductivity in time. Mine has issues as well, with the incnvenience that I can't easily access the CPU without taking the whole thing apart. I do the vacuum cleaner on the air vents move, though.

It has a silent mode in which it reduces performance in exchange for keeping the fans quiet, and that's been the standard mode for quite a long time now. I can get it out of it, if I keep an eye on Speedfan. Unfortunately, I can't adjust the fan speeds. If it were my choice, I'd probably keep the fans on max the whole time. It's old as well, so I've got a backup of the important stuff, since you never know when it goes.

Simply removing all dust and hair from the heat exchangers was enough... temperature dropped from 95°C to 70°C during 100% GPU load

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Sure, but still, when you start loosing hair again it will be a replay, and it's not normal. I have the same problem with my laptop and I use the same remedy. It helps for 3 months only.

The real solution is to apply the thermal paste anew. On my laptop it's very problematic, so I left it to a local electronics magician to do.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sure, but still, when you start loosing hair again it will be a replay, and it's not normal. I have the same problem with my laptop and I use the same remedy. It helps for 3 months only.

The real solution is to apply the thermal paste anew. On my laptop it's very problematic, so I left it to a local electronics magician to do.

No big problem for this one, its pretty easy to disassemble once you know that the back panel takes a bit of force more to remove... and anyway, I should consider getting a new one next year, its from 2012.... Medion might not be a most famous brand around, but they know how to build stuff the in a boring robust way...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Losing hair is a natural part of aging, even for laptops...

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So, it appears that http to https redirect on half the internet suddenly fails this morning. What the hell could cause such a thing?