Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
One of the farmers nearby set up a bird repeller gas cannon
Reminds me of the ultrasonic rodent repellents which are popular around here in all kinds of malls and shops. They are supposed to be inaudible to humans, but i happen to have an abnormal left ear which can hear up to 19KHz or so. I can see why it works on rodents - the skull-drilling intermittent whine they give out is pretty darn annoying.
Fortunately, i don't have to stay around.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Reminds me of the ultrasonic rodent repellents which are popular around here in all kinds of malls and shops. They are supposed to be inaudible to humans, but i happen to have an abnormal left ear which can hear up to 19KHz or so. I can see why it works on rodents - the skull-drilling intermittent whine they give out is pretty darn annoying.
Fortunately, i don't have to stay around.

This technology has been practically weaponized in the UK to repel youths by taking advantage of the fact that young people can hear higher frequencies than older people.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I was just reading the newest Schlock Mercenary strip, when my 7 year old walked in, took a look at the screen and promptly asked "what's that? Is that the big bang?"

Well done mister Taylor. Well done indeed! :tiphat:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

steph

Reaction score
Yep, it's been a few wild days for severe weather in Central Europe. Normally, the one forming due to a stationary front would be of the landspout variety, but yes...while I wouldn't go as far as saying they form from the ground up, it's almost always stuff in the lower-most inflow layers in surface-based storms that kicks up the feedback loops leading to tornadic formation. I've been a storm spotter for over 10 years now, seen a few funnels, but I still find it hard to wrap my head around the whole thing.

Even with supercells, having a deep rotating updraft and the RFD kicking in surely helps, but even so, not all produce even if all the conditions are met. Packs of more buoyant air, as well as local air currents producing low level shear due to the topography might form the initial vortex, which then gets picked up and stretched, or integrated, in the bigger circulation.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yep, it's been a few wild days for severe weather in Central Europe. Normally, the one forming due to a stationary front would be of the landspout variety, but yes...while I wouldn't go as far as saying they form from the ground up, it's almost always stuff in the lower-most inflow layers in surface-based storms that kicks up the feedback loops leading to tornadic formation. I've been a storm spotter for over 10 years now, seen a few funnels, but I still find it hard to wrap my head around the whole thing.

Even with supercells, having a deep rotating updraft and the RFD kicking in surely helps, but even so, not all produce even if all the conditions are met. Packs of more buoyant air, as well as local air currents producing low level shear due to the topography might form the initial vortex, which then gets picked up and stretched, or integrated, in the bigger circulation.

I think this recent research is very impressive, especially since the problems of creating a tornado in a simulation show that the mechanism must be some kind of chain reaction. Even just compiling the simulation code again with a different version of the same math library is enough to switch a simulation run from EF4 to nothing. At a 30m grid the trigger for a tornado must be something taking place at the least-significant bits of a floating point number.

http://orf.media/

Especially, he speaks my language as a CFD kind of guy - those things like vorticity and procession of vortices makes sense to me and I can point at them in thunderstorms.

In his most recent presentation, he also shows with simulation data, how the tornado is triggered on the ground, showing a sudden increase in vortex stretching (dw/dz) low on the ground.

And it seems like the RFD isn't really as important for the tornado as classic tornado research claims. Things look different if you can make the invisible wind visible.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
I can't login in to Orbit Hangar Mods

Hello everyone. I have not used Orbiter (and Orbiter-Forum) for a long time and that's why I'm a bit confused. Is there a problem with Orbit Hangar Mods? I can not log in with my Orbiter Forum account. The site also has an unknown error shown at the top of the page.
fy86js3s1oebjtn6g.jpg

My browser is Opera 60.0.3255.151, OS Manjaro GNU/Linux and Windows 7.

I did not want to start a new topic for such a short question, so I posted it here.

Greetings to all.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hello everyone. I have not used Orbiter (and Orbiter-Forum) for a long time and that's why I'm a bit confused. Is there a problem with Orbit Hangar Mods? I can not log in with my Orbiter Forum account. The site also has an unknown error shown at the top of the page.
fy86js3s1oebjtn6g.jpg

My browser is Opera 60.0.3255.151, OS Manjaro GNU/Linux and Windows 7.

I did not want to start a new topic for such a short question, so I posted it here.

Greetings to all.

No, this should work - but the Hangar is struggling a bit due to some recent essential maintenance works.

I'm looking into it.

Marjin said:
Your Forum account is not supposed to work for the Orbiter Hanger as well. My account certainly does not work either as I would expect.

It should do - Vash linked them some years back, so you would log in with a Forum account. You can still log in with older accounts on the Hangar from before the link, but you can't register a new one.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
I also want to comment that sometimes Orbiter-Forum tells me Error 500 when I try to access my user profile (https://www.orbiter-forum.com/member.php?u=9882).

No, this should work - but the Hangar is struggling a bit due to some recent essential maintenance works.

I'm looking into it.

It should do - Vash linked them some years back, so you would log in with a Forum account. You can still log in with older accounts on the Hangar from before the link, but you can't register a new one.

Thank you for your quick response, I can imagine that maintain a server and two web pages can't be easy, so your work is appreciated keeping everything running for many years. I known O-F since 2012 and it is excellent.:cheers:

Greetings.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A WW2 bomb just exploded in a field near Limburg last night, at 4 AM local time. Created a 10m wide and 4 m deep crater and caused a magnitude 1.7 earthquake

steph

Reaction score
In a way, it's amazing that the chemicals powering the reaction haven't leaked/degraded in all this time. Makes me think of the few broken arrow incident (and sunken subs) where they haven't recovered the nukes. But then again, the complexity of a nuke should also mean that an impact would screw up the mechanism enough that you get at most a fizzle. It would only be logical that the classical ones are designed to blow pretty much no matter what (hence the late detonations) and a nuke only has a very specific chain of triggers that could make it go off.

Edit: shouldn't the natural decay of the uranium render them incapable of criticality after a few decades?

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
In a way, it's amazing that the chemicals powering the reaction haven't leaked/degraded in all this time. Makes me think of the few broken arrow incident (and sunken subs) where they haven't recovered the nukes. But then again, the complexity of a nuke should also mean that an impact would screw up the mechanism enough that you get at most a fizzle. It would only be logical that the classical ones are designed to blow pretty much no matter what (hence the late detonations) and a nuke only has a very specific chain of triggers that could make it go off.

Edit: shouldn't the natural decay of the uranium render them incapable of criticality after a few decades?

Nope. The primary isotopes used in nukes are U235, which has a half life in the hundreds of millions of years, and Pu239, with a half life around 24,000 years. Neither will be significantly depleted by decay within decades. It takes about 300 years for Pu239 to be depleted by even 1%. For U235, that will take 10 million years.

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

A WW2 bomb just exploded in a field near Limburg last night, at 4 AM local time. Created a 10m wide and 4 m deep crater and caused a magnitude 1.7 earthquake

Not a controlled detonation of a known bomb? Farmer Hans is just minding his own business, and then his wheat field gives him an abrupt 4 AM wakeup call?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Not a controlled detonation of a known bomb? Farmer Hans is just minding his own business, and then his wheat field gives him an abrupt 4 AM wakeup call?

As long as you ignore the bag of blasting caps in his back pocket. I mean, less faffing around if it goes off 'by itself' at 4 in the morning.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

No, it was not even known that there was still a bomb left. It simply exploded.

https://www.fnp.de/lokales/limburg-...xplosion-weithin-hoeren-sagt-zr-12660945.html

About 500 lb heavy, according to experts. It exploded not far away from the main road in that region, I already drove by the location a few times.

And now we also have two Eurofighters that collided midair over Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. One ejected pilot found, the other is still missing. The crash sites are 10 km apart.

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/eurofighter-absturz-101.html

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Are there many of these "spontaneous" explosions?
Any idea what it was aimed at, any airfields or factories nearby?

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Are there many of these "spontaneous" explosions?
Any idea what it was aimed at, any airfields or factories nearby?

N.

Not sure. West of it is Hadamar, east of it the former main road from Siegen to Mainz. Not known if any of those were target of a bigger raid. 10 km away to the south, Limburg was bombed 12 times in WW2 because of the important train maintenance depot.

Would need some more research to find out what other targets had been bombed during those raids.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
No, it was not even known that there was still a bomb left. It simply exploded.

Wow. I'm used to hearing about UXO finds with subsequent evacuations and controlled detonations in Germany, but this is the first time I've heard of an undiscovered, undisturbed bomb just going off randomly.

Article says it had buried itself 4m deep when it fell. Good thing it was deep enough not to be disturbed by plowing.