Humor Random Comments Thread

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Someone needs to do an edition of Little Red Riding hood involving a T-Rex.

"O grandmother, your eyes are the size of my entire head!"
"The better to see you with, puny little mammal!"

Everything's better with T-Rex.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How could I have missed this:
resize:1600:900

?

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
you can build your ship model in the program LeoCAD convert it for blender then to file .msh for Orbiter

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I feel it is my duty to come to this thread and :hailprobe: :

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just realised that geosynchronous orbits are solidly within the outer van allen belt. Would we actually ever want to build a manned space station there? Not that I know of any plans, it's just such a common trope in science fiction.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
It probably hasn't got outside the UK, we have had problems with an algorithm.

No A-Levels (University entry exams) were held this year because of the pandemic. A decision was made to use an algorithm to predict each students grades.

All went wrong, distressed students and politicians.

Uproar, politicians gave in. Can't have student and parent voters upset.

"And some things should never be left to an algorithm to determine, he said."

"No other country did what we did with exams. They either figured out how to run exams or had essays that they took averages for. Ultimately the point of exams is for students to determine their future and you can't achieve that with an algorithm.

"Some problems just need a human being."

You have to laugh.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Back in the day, my high school grade was based off of 2 years worth of results and how you did compared to your peers. There was then 1 state wide general exam which allowed you to compare schools. I think it was actually pretty clever and means that missing an exam didn't matter so much.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Its been pretty shambolic, with little sympathy for any of the responsible parties. They knew there would be no exams nearly six months ago.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why on earth would you try to make an algorithm to predict exam scores rather than just taking the average of all grades that year? Who had this crazy idea??

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Education is a political hot potato. The current Secretary of State for Education is blaming OFQUAL. The body responsible for maintaining standards and avoiding "grade inflation" everybody gets better every year.

As you can imagine the politicians have won that one, though they did a u-turn, threw out the algorithm results and went with teachers assesment.

They are also holding up the GCSE(16 year old exams) and B-TEC(vocational exams) results till they get their stories straight.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I have great sympathy for all the students that have had there education effected by the pandemic. This and next years graduating students have fundamentally had a worse level of tuition, even with the best efforts of educators. And this will follow them for a long time to come. There is a valid argument that teachers are more forgiving (up marking) to their students than an examiner would be, and as such I think that all the results of this year should be provisional for the time being (until students take the exams, assessments or another solution is found).

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I have great sympathy for all the students that have had there education effected by the pandemic. This and next years graduating students have fundamentally had a worse level of tuition, even with the best efforts of educators. And this will follow them for a long time to come. There is a valid argument that teachers are more forgiving (up marking) to their students than an examiner would be, and as such I think that all the results of this year should be provisional for the time being (until students take the exams, assessments or another solution is found).

My semester starts in a week. Initial plans for me to hold lecture in-person simply didn't make sense yet even though my state is doing well with COVID control measures. I will be teaching three lectures online and one in-person laboratory with a reduced number of students, masks, face shields, social distancing protocols. The student's schedules will be updated tomorrow, and I expect that a good many will withdraw for the semester, and I can't say I blame them. This has been heartbreaking for me as I left my industry job and got into teaching to get away from computers and interact with people face-to-face. There is a certain amount of rapport and entertainment needed in the delivery of a good lecture that I find very hard to replicate online. Everyone is really burned out and tired of online interactions like this.

Tycho

Reaction score
I had just realized today that Skylab 2, Skylab 3, and Skylab 4 have "Skylab I", "Skylab II", and "Skylab 3" in their insignia, respectively. Makes good sense because the numbering of the insignia tracks the human flights to Skylab (i.e. all but the launch, Skylab 1). Apparently the confusion didn't end there, nor within the Astronaut Office at the time, Bill Pogue later remarking that "this has to be the most exasperating bit of space trivia ever." Interesting and quick read: http://www.collectspace.com/resources/naming_spacecraft.html

Also, RIP "Jerry" Carr.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
You know you're an astronomy geek when you've figured out how many yocto-L☉ your car has under the hood. 80 in my case (I think). The hard part is actually figuring out the exact make of the vehicle and which engine comes with that make. After that, if you're working to two significant digits, the yocto-L☉ is 2.0 horsepower, and dividing by two is easy, so maybe you get more auto geek cred than astronomy geek cred, given how much engine power can vary in a single model of vehicle.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Soo, Yesterday I made the decision to take a change of direction in my life. Tomorrow I start the process to get myself a C+E (Class 1) driving licence. Which means I may be driving HGV's as a Job in 8 weeks. And it only took a week of research and an agreement with my relations that I could couch serf for free, if i don't get a job immediately. As I will be homeless in November as it stands. This has been driven by the demoralizing process of job searching during a pandemic. Over the last 3 months, I have applied for at least 100 jobs and only heard back from 6 and got 1 interview.