Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yay, my autistic kid finally managed to drop his pants and his diapers and pee all by himself.
The only thing he forgot was that he was supposed to go to the bathroom... ?‍♂️

Its the small steps.

You have no idea how much we celebrated that our son decided to go to the bathroom in Kindergarten, instead of going into the vegetation or hurry home to noon. And he isn't autistic. Just very stubborn.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
In the news here:

"Sylvie Bermann, a former French ambassador to the UK, told Times Radio that relations between France and Britain had “never been as bad since Waterloo”."

Interesting choice, I can think of a few later events that strained relations with our favourite ally.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In the news here:

"Sylvie Bermann, a former French ambassador to the UK, told Times Radio that relations between France and Britain had “never been as bad since Waterloo”."

Interesting choice, I can think of a few later events that strained relations with our favourite ally.

I can't think of many worse times there. Or any really bad times afterwards. Remember, Germany and France have a really temperamental relationship. With extremely good or extremely bad times, but rarely something moderately in the middle...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
From what I've read Churchill proposed a union between UK and France:
From here:
"

World War II (1940)[edit]​

In December 1939, Jean Monnet of the French Economic Mission in London became the head of the Anglo-French Co-ordinating Committee, which co-ordinated joint planning of the two countries' wartime economies. The Frenchman hoped for a postwar United States of Europe and saw an Anglo-French political union as a step toward his goal. He discussed the idea with Neville Chamberlain, Winston Churchill's assistant Desmond Morton, and other British officials.[1]

In June 1940, French Prime Minister Paul Reynaud's government faced imminent defeat in the Battle of France. In March, they and the British had agreed that neither country would seek a separate peace with Nazi Germany. The French cabinet on 15 June voted to ask Germany for the terms of an armistice. Reynaud, who wished to continue the war from North Africa, was forced to submit the proposal to Churchill's War Cabinet. He claimed that he would have to resign if the British were to reject the proposal.[1]

The British opposed a French surrender, and in particular the possible loss of the French Navy to the Germans, and so sought to keep Reynaud in office. On 14 June British diplomat Robert Vansittart and Morton wrote with Monnet and his deputy René Pleven a draft "Franco-British Union" proposal. They hoped that such a union would help Reynaud persuade his cabinet to continue the war from North Africa, but Churchill was sceptical when on 15 June the British War Cabinet discussed the proposal and a similar one from Secretary of State for India Leo Amery. On the morning of 16 June, the War Cabinet agreed to the French armistice request on the condition that the French fleet sail to British harbours. This disappointed Reynaud, who had hoped to use a British rejection to persuade his cabinet to continue to fight.[1]

Reynaud supporter Charles de Gaulle had arrived in London earlier that day, however, and Monnet told him about the proposed union.[1] De Gaulle convinced Churchill that "some dramatic move was essential to give Reynaud the support which he needed to keep his Government in the war".[2] The Frenchman then called Reynaud and told him that the British prime minister proposed a union between their countries, an idea which Reynaud immediately supported. De Gaulle, Monnet, Vansittart, and Pleven quickly agreed to a document proclaiming a joint citizenship, foreign trade, currency, war cabinet, and military command. Churchill withdrew the armistice approval, and at 3 p.m. the War Cabinet met again to consider the union document. Despite the radical nature of the proposal, Churchill and the ministers recognized the need for a dramatic act to encourage the French and reinforce Reynaud's support within his cabinet before it met again at 5pm.[1]

The final "Declaration of union" approved by the British War Cabinet stated that[1]

France and Great Britain shall no longer be two nations, but one Franco-British Union. The constitution of the Union will provide for joint organs of defence, foreign, financial and economic policies. Every citizen of France will enjoy immediately citizenship of Great Britain, every British subject will become a citizen of France.
Churchill and De Gaulle called Reynaud to tell him about the document, and they arranged for a joint meeting of the two governments in Concarneau the next day. The declaration immediately succeeded in its goal of encouraging Reynaud, who saw the union as the only alternative to surrender and who could now cite the British rejection of the armistice.[1]

Other French leaders were less enthusiastic, however. At the 5 p.m. cabinet meeting, many called it a British "last minute plan" to steal its colonies, and said that "be[ing] a Nazi province" was preferable to becoming a British dominion. Philippe Pétain, a leader of the pro-armistice group, called union "fusion with a corpse". While President Albert Lebrun and some others were supportive, the cabinet's opposition stunned Reynaud. He resigned that evening without taking a formal vote on the union or an armistice, and later called the failure of the union the "greatest disappointment of my political career".[1]

Reynaud had erred, however, by conflating opposition to the union — which a majority of the cabinet almost certainly opposed — with support for an armistice, which it almost certainly did not. If the proposal had been made a few days earlier, instead of the 16th when the French only had hours to decide between armistice and North Africa, Reynaud's cabinet might have considered it more carefully.[1]

Pétain formed a new government that evening, which immediately decided to ask Germany for armistice terms. The British cancelled their plans to travel to Concarneau.[1]

After that:
"The Attack on Mers-el-Kébir (Battle of Mers-el-Kébir) on 3 July 1940, during the Second World War, was a British naval attack on French Navy ships at the naval base at Mers El Kébir, at Oran, on the coast of French Algeria. The attack was the main part of Operation Catapult, a British plan to neutralise or destroy French ships to prevent them from falling into German hands after the Allied defeat in the Battle of France. The British bombardment of the base killed 1,297 French servicemen, sank a battleship and damaged five other ships, for a British loss of five aircraft shot down and two crewmen killed.[3]"

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Slight rant

After a month of driving artics (HGV, LEV, Semi trucks) in the UK, my thoughts are,
White vans drivers are dangerous and suicidal, but some car drivers are even worse. I today I had a van overtake me on a motorway so close I could not see his lights, if he even touched his brakes my 40000kg truck would have pancaked his 3500kg or less van. And tomorrow I'm heading south to Essex and am not looking forward to the M25 and the driving standards in London.
If I can get a artic around a roundabout in the lines how come I see so many cars not bother with them at all.
Tipper drivers are nuts, keep away from them if you can.
Be nice the the shunters they can make your life easy or a living hell, with very little effort.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Slight rant

After a month of driving artics (HGV, LEV, Semi trucks) in the UK, my thoughts are,
White vans drivers are dangerous and suicidal, but some car drivers are even worse. I today I had a van overtake me on a motorway so close I could not see his lights, if he even touched his brakes my 40000kg truck would have pancaked his 3500kg or less van. And tomorrow I'm heading south to Essex and am not looking forward to the M25 and the driving standards in London.
If I can get a artic around a roundabout in the lines how come I see so many cars not bother with them at all.
Tipper drivers are nuts, keep away from them if you can.
Be nice the the shunters they can make your life easy or a living hell, with very little effort.

I fully agree there. Should you ever drive in heartland Europe and discover a tiny blue car tailgating you... that might be me, stuck in your slipstream. Please be patient until I have found a way out of your airflow. :cheers:

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Even driving a fire truck, they will try to pass right in front at intersections, and try to pass by when trying to back into station. I also visited Italy a few years ago . . . Those drivers are just plain nuts.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I fully agree there. Should you ever drive in heartland Europe and discover a tiny blue car tailgating you... that might be me, stuck in your slipstream. Please be patient until I have found a way out of your airflow. :cheers:
If you are that close behind me I will not be able to see you... With who I'm working for at the moment, it is unlikely I'll be going to Europe, although I have taken some loads to exporters. PXL_20211201_120646987.jpg
I do get to stop in some pritty places some times.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"Why am I so soft in the middle, when the rest of my life is so hard ?"

Paul Simon

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
"Why am I so soft in the middle, when the rest of my life is so hard ?"

Paul Simon
I don't think I agree with the logic of the statement, it all depends on the specific circumstances, in some cases it is not necessary to be soft, but not soft, in some cases it only aggravates the situation

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well this is quite a (neo)romantic statement, more like poetry, its not about logic but about feelings.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Where you end up reading after watching a video about a reconstruction of a French frigate crossing the Atlantic to the USA, while thinking like an engineer:

Fascinating collection of incidents.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Son, looking at my Perry Rhodan collection in the bookshelf: "Dad, why are these books silver?"
Me: "Oh, they're pretty old science fiction, and during the 50ies and 60ies silver was considered a very futuristic color..."
Son: "Why?"
Me: "Oh, I'm not quite sure. Apparently they thought that in the future we'd make our clothing out of aluminium foil..."
Son: "WAT?" literally rolls on the floor laughing
Me: "Well, now that I think about it, it does seem rather silly, I guess..."

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am pretty sure, the appearance of the new jet fighters like the F-86 Sabre during this period fueled this idea, that something futuristic will be shining metal...

F-86_Sabre_hertiage_flight.jpg

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Being myself a philosophy teacher I can tell this is very good stuff :

I love how he makes the lesson right from the book, I hope to get to that level one day !

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Small issue with a player arriving for the Australian Open.

Coming to an episode of Border Security near you soon.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Small issue with a player arriving for the Australian Open.

Coming to an episode of Border Security near you soon.

In the past, it was hard to get out of Oz. Now its hard to get in. :D

At least for all, and not special rules for the rich and corrupt, like in many places here...