RC DeltaGliderIV project

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
all the more reason to have it at least do something cool in the event of a crash. maybe stash talcom powder in it somewhere so if u crash it makes a cool smoke cloud. food coloring FTW

accelorometer wired to an M-1000?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yea, sorry about that.

University started again and during the week I live in a room near my uni and can only work on the DG on weekends now, so slow is work.

Speaking of pics, here are the goodies I got last weekend:

DSC06332.JPG

15x8 carbon propeller, one mother of all Outrunners - survives a continious current of 50 A, 60 second burst current of 55A, up to 20 V. Officially rated at a max of 5 cell LiPo, but effectivelly could be run at 6. With an efficiency of 86%, it produces a crank power of over 750W. Next off is a speed control that survives a continious current of 60A, burst current of 70A for one minute. The 3 servos have metal gears so they don't break and have a torque of 72 Ncm at 4.8 V so they're strong enough to lift a cow :p

I also got a bunch of AA batteries, some for my transmitter and cam, some for my reciever / servos in the plane.

I got a used charger for 50€ that would have cost me 150 new - turns out it was unused at all and got a starter motor for nitro planes for up to 15 ccm engines, so no more problems when starting the thing :)

You should have seen the look on my face. I was like a fat kid in a candy store! :lol:

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
im not saying ud sell it but if u ever thought about selling it in the future, what do u think it would be worth? its a custom 1 of a kind piece so id imagine up in the thousands

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well... deppends on the condition it would be in. I spent about 250€ overall on material and I don't yet know the cost of electronics.

If it was in a good condition, I'd sell it without electronics for 150 - 200€ or so. I'm not a guy driven by money, but at least I'd cover a bit of my costs.

A bit of an update on the state of the build:

I'm working on the nosecone and it's mostly done. I got it sanded down to the point where I'm happy with the shape. Tomorrow and next weekend, I'll continue with the work on the nose and hopefully the next weekend the nose should be done.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
That looks cool. Where did you got the propeller and the other things on the picture?

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
eventualy it will prolly crash since its the nature of planes and i was wondering (as i watched a movie about viking burials) how would you send the remanes of the plane off? toss em in the trash? burn them? something more creative?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Usually, if there's something to rebuild, the plane gets rebuilt. But if the crash is so bad that the only thing you can do is take a broom and sweep the floor, it goes into the trash. Though I would probably perform some sort of a ritual.

Hopefully I don't crash the DG on the first flight. That is when there is the highest chance of the crash, since I have no idea how it handles or where exactly the CG is supposed to be...

I'll take it easy the first time. I'm thinking of building a landing gear that has the option of being dropped. That way I would be able to take off and fly over long grass and if anything goes wrong, land in there for a soft landing.

I am again concerned about the weight though. My original goal was to go no higher then 2 kg. Now I'm hoping it won't go over 3.

It should fly... the wingloading with 3 kg would be around 75 g / dm^2. Compared to my trainer at 60 g / dm^2, that's not so bad. I'm just worried I'll tare the wings off if I dive and pull up too fast...

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
could u use thin plastic bars for reinforcement? i wouldnt count on it being similar to ur trainer since its a delta wing. the CG will also be further back i would think

then again i heard that with RC planes its better to have a big ass than a fat head

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
could u use thin plastic bars for reinforcement? i wouldnt count on it being similar to ur trainer since its a delta wing. the CG will also be further back i would think

then again i heard that with RC planes its better to have a big ass than a fat head

Well, yea, it will handle quite differently from the trainer. But it will fly.

If you look at a large Extra 300 or something similar, such planes have a wing loading of around 120 g/ dm^2 and fall like a brick when the engine is turned off.

No, I didn't take any modls. If this goes for a disaster, it means I need to redraw the plans and build a new one. But if it flies well, I'll release the plans and you can make a mold.

NuttyPro67

Reaction score
The difference between an extra 300 and a delta wing plane are night and day, though. I think your plane will handle just fine at 3kg. With something like the extra300 or a cessna you've got a clear difference between the lift creating wings and the fuselage.

Designs like the XR-2 and DeltaGlider take real advantage of the lifting bodies concept, getting additional lift from the fuselage. If you look at our F-117 model, its got very narrow wings with a length of 84cm and a wingspan of only 55cm, only the last 10cm or so on each end actually being "wing"! Still, this model handles 560g(20 oz) no problem because the fuselage itself acts like a big airfoil.

Keeping that in mind, you have a loosely airfoil shaped body that will probably help more than you think. We can talk about aeronautics and physics all day long if you want, but I have found that the laws of flight are tamed down when you are working at the speeds and wing loadings we work at.

One last note, make sure you maiden this puppy in the nose heavy direction. Delta planes quickly turn into a fun, short show for your spectators when they are tail heavy. Generally, a tail heavy plane will take off, flip, and die. A plane that is too nose heavy will simply roll off the end of the runway. Just make sure you don't have to apply too much up elevator to lift off, or you'll have a comet. :)

Good luck, can't wait to see this project done.

NuttyPro67

Reaction score
Kirk: Holy crap, What is THAT?
Spock: Our sensors indicate it is a DeltaGlider from a twentieth century simulator.
Kirk: It looks...oddly simple.
Spock: Correct, Captain. While the model's original mesh was pulled directly from the simulator to keep true to it's shape, this 3D model has only 200 polygons, compared to the thousands contained in the original model.
Kirk: Why in heavens name would anybody need that?
Spock: It appears as though the model's wings and body have been modified extensively as to offer an actual lifting airfoil and simplified construction.
Kirk: So you could, theoretically, use this 3D model to base an actual flying R/C model off of?
Spock: Indeed, the uploader was kind enough to include a DWG for AutoCAD users and a SKP file for folks who use the free Google Sketchup or don't have AutoCAD.
Kirk: ...fascinating. Can we blow it up?

Attachments

• DeltaGlider.jpg
    DeltaGlider.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DeltaGlider.zip
    111.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A bit of an update:

(Pics on Sunday!)

I've glued on the vertical stabs and the nose cone. I'm sanding down the nosecone to shape it nicelly. I've also glued on some more of the skin so the thing is really starting to look like the real thing. This weekend I have some more sanding to do, but next weekend I have to make the landing gear, so the work can continue. I'm estimaging I have between 25 and 30 hours of work left, before this thing can take off.

Oh and Scot, you know what they say:
Nose heavy plane flies poorly, but tail heavy plane flies once.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I have a few pics, like I promissed.

Unfortunatelly I didn't get to finish everything that I wanted this weekend... didn't have as much time as I wanted to.

The nose has been glued on and is pretty much sanded down the way I want it to. I managed to modify the ends of the leading edges and sand those down so that they nicelly transition into the nosecone, but that's not quite finished yet.

I've also continued sanding down the leading edges, but only roughly. Next weekend I'll cut a hole in the shape of the leading edge into wood and use that as a measuring tool, when sanding.

I also glued on balsa to the other end of the leading edges, to transition into the vertical stabs, but those have yet to be sanded down.

Next week I should have enough time to finish the leading edges. I hope I do, at least...

Anyways... here are the pics :)

DSC06351.JPG

DSC06352.JPG

DSC06355.JPG

DSC06356.JPG