dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Goal
Recording of new docking and undocking radio voices for the incoming OrbiterSound 5.0 for Orbiter 2016 to replace the "Houston we show capture and hard dock" and "undocking confirmed" that exist since 15 years at least. :zzz:

Please read the full thread with all explanation here:
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=14505.msg220224

Also you are welcome if you want to add more dock/undock realistic texts, I'll add them in the thread.

Much thanks ! :cheers:

Dan

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I've got a pair of SDC mics, tube preamp and can eq and compress. I'll give if a try.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've sent out a set of recordings - I quite enjoy doing voice acting. Did a fair amount of it in my university days, lotsa fun...

Hope it all checks out

:cheers:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Much thanks, I'll check all that in the meaning time because I'm working yet on a problem concerning the music codec.
Sorry for the delay.

I'll also redo the boring sound effect of "KLANG KLANG KLANG" docking, I hope to get 5-10 different sounds in pseudo random (the name of the dock and the size of the target vessel will determine the sound, in brief a same dock will always play the same sound which sound logical)

Observation

Reaction score
Are the 22050hz important? I think most microphones have double. Or can I just send it to you and you tune it down?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Much thanks, I'll check all that in the meaning time because I'm working yet on a problem concerning the music codec.
Sorry for the delay.

I'll also redo the boring sound effect of "KLANG KLANG KLANG" docking, I hope to get 5-10 different sounds in pseudo random (the name of the dock and the size of the target vessel will determine the sound, in brief a same dock will always play the same sound which sound logical)
The current sound is of the docking latches cocking closed and are of the 12 docking latches of the Apollo CSM/LM. It made a noticeable rapid "dunk-dunk-dunk" when they were engaged during the hard dock process. Modern docking systems like the APAS and Russian probe&drogue systems have mechanically actuated hooks that doesn't make a sound.

The most you'd hear is the physical contact of the two docking surfaces as a dull "donk" and some vibration that ebbs out quickly. Undocking is completely silent on the other hand, no sound whatsoever as physical separation is accomplished by compressed springs. As soon as the hooks on both docking interfaces release, the springs uncompress and ejects the lighter of the two vessels away. No thrusters involved.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
The most you'd hear is the physical contact of the two docking surfaces as a dull "donk" and some vibration that ebbs out quickly. Undocking is completely silent on the other hand, no sound whatsoever as physical separation is accomplished by compressed springs. As soon as the hooks on both docking interfaces release, the springs uncompress and ejects the lighter of the two vessels away. No thrusters involved.

Thanks for the info.
I didn't find actual sound but I studied a bit the NASA docking system, there are some electro-mechanics involved but I bet mostly silent apart if you are very close or if you put your hear on the hull.

Anyway, in orbiter there is an unrealistic "jump" that need a sound and docking is a sort of achievement, it doesn't harm if some emphasis is put on the electro-mechanical infinite screw and soft and hard clamp. After all the hear sensitivity is huge.

Also realistic addons, can still replace the docking sound with a simple configuration file, even silent. (in this case the pseudo-random docking sound are disabled)

Finally user that don't like those sounds can globaly disable them by soundconfig.exe.

Are the 22050hz important? I think most microphones have double. Or can I just send it to you and you tune it down?

No problem, I can work with about anything given the quality is somewhat okay. (I'll put an effect that will make it radio low fi anyway)

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

This said, I don't know if it exist already, but I would love to make and addon that reproduce a realistic docking system from soft capture to hard dock.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This said, I don't know if it exist already, but I would love to make and addon that reproduce a realistic docking system from soft capture to hard dock.
Please do: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=1204, this a Orbiter feature request by me nearly 5 years ago for exactly this.

AFAIK, there's no such add-on at all, it is still the same docking system as from 2003 which is when vessel2vessel docking as we know it today was first implemented.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Thanks for the info.
I didn't find actual sound but I studied a bit the NASA docking system, there are some electro-mechanics involved but I bet mostly silent apart if you are very close or if you put your hear on the hull.
The NDS is based on the International Docking System Standard (IDSS) which in itself is based on the Russian APAS (first used by Soyuz 18 back in 1975 to trial it for Soyuz 19 which was the Soviet half of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (ASTP) which took place in July 1975. It was later further developed for use on the Soviet Space Shuttles which would dock to the Kristall module of the then new Mir multi-module space station.

But all those plans fell to the wayside once the Soviet Union crumbled. Then it was adapted to work with the US Space Shuttles for the Shuttle/Mir Program which itself was considered Phase 1 of the International Space Station Program. NASA had to pay the Russian's a licensing fee to use the APAS on their shuttles, so NASA-JSC began to develop a US version called the Low Impact Docking System (LIDS) and the first user of this new system was going to be the X-38 Assured Crew Return Vehicle (ACRV) would have replaced the Soyuz as the main ARCV of ISS as the its return environment was far more benign than the Soyuz (in case of a medical emergency).

Eventually, the LIDS morphed into the IDSS, which is fully open for anyone to use, no licensing fees or anything. Both NASA, Boeing and SpaceX have their own versions of the IDSS. The two Internal Docking Adapters (IDAs) converted the two Pressurized Mating Adapters (PMAs) from APAS to IDSS. Only IDA-2, which is attached to PMA-2 on the forward end of Node 2 has seen a docking so far and that was by the SpaceX Crew Dragon during its demo flight last year.

And that's the history of the IDSS, from conception to first use. It will see it's second docking on May 28 when the Demo-2 Crew Dragon docks there.

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My :2cents:

Truly realistic sounds would be "boring" or maybe infuriating if you think about the constant humming of equipment.

I would prefer taking sort of a "cinematic" approach and use a dampened thud followed by actuator sounds. For undocking you could use actuators and a dampened depressurizing whoosh.

Realistic sound could be optional, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. It's essentially turning the sound off.