Idea Scenario Story Module

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How about this - A module/MFD that carries out a story, with goals and checklists. It could parse a section of a scenario file, and put it into orbiter. to be honest, I'd code it myself, but my C++ skills are limited :(

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Artlav developed a beta version of a scripting engine for Orbiter.

http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2578

Most scripting languages aren't that difficult to learn, so I recommend giving this a go.

I'm not sure if he is still developing this addon. I believe he was working on a plug-in for the Lua scripting language a while back.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The next orbiter version will feature a LUA engine with nearly endless possibilities.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
How about this - A module/MFD that carries out a story, with goals and checklists. It could parse a section of a scenario file, and put it into orbiter. to be honest, I'd code it myself, but my C++ skills are limited :(
Interesting and was done before, unfortunately, no one seems to be interested in making the actual scenarios.

I'm not sure if he is still developing this addon. I believe he was working on a plug-in for the Lua scripting language a while back.
The Lua scripting was what Martin decided to put into Orbiter, likely independently from me, so with an embedded scripting being supported in the next release, Sdvig got obsolete before it was well made.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow! sdvig rocks! I'm gonna try to learn the language pretty well, and make a few scenarios. Excellent work Artlav!

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The Lua scripting was what Martin decided to put into Orbiter, likely independently from me, so with an embedded scripting being supported in the next release, Sdvig got obsolete before it was well made.
Ah, my mistake. Can't wait for the Lua scripting support.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So, is the native lua in the beta versions of orbiter 2008?

Tommy

Reaction score
So, is the native lua in the beta versions of orbiter 2008?

Yes, although as I recall it's still somewhat limited as to what Orbiter API functions it can use. That may have improved since the last time I checked out the beta

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've tried the beta, it's pretty good, but obviously very unstable. It always seem to crash when I run a command in the Lua console. Meh.
Anyways, there seems to be quite a lot of orbiter APIs created, just not well documented atm. When is Orbiter 2009 coming out anyway?

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about lua in Orbiter 2008/9/10/whenever. It has some really awesome possibilities. For example, for a previous beta, I implemented some rudimentary collision detection. I'm not releasing it until the next version of Orbiter comes out, and I find a solution for reliably detecting high speed intercepts (relative velocities above 10km/s), but it's kind of neat. I'll probably be one of the people writing story scenarios with it.