Meshing Question Shiny Reflection of mesh

Trekkie

Starfleet Head of Ship Design
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
hi everyone i just Modified an mesh and now this happened

8ApuPt2.png

i am using blender can someone help me get rid of this reflection?

greetz Trekkie

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
hi everyone i just Modified an mesh and now this happened

i am using blender can someone help me get rid of this reflection?

What you see is either specular or diffuse reflection of the material you use. You need to change the material properties in Blender for that, but don't ask me, which parameters in Blender have which effect in Orbiter.

Now the question is, what you want to see there.

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What you see is either specular or diffuse reflection of the material you use. You need to change the material properties in Blender for that, but don't ask me, which parameters in Blender have which effect in Orbiter.

Now the question is, what you want to see there.

i Fixed it!

but now im having this problem...
ZI07oP2.jpg

used an .obj file and converted to .msh everything showed good in Blender and now in orbiter its like this..

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
i Fixed it!

but now im having this problem...
ZI07oP2.jpg

used an .obj file and converted to .msh everything showed good in Blender and now in orbiter its like this..

Looks like a meshgroup is missing, did it exist in the obj file?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
hmm? what u mean by meshgroup? im still kind of new to meshes and blender :$

In orbiter, the meshes are made of meshgroups, which are made of triangles. A meshgroup can have only one material and one texture, so parts with different materials need to be different meshgroups.

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In orbiter, the meshes are made of meshgroups, which are made of triangles. A meshgroup can have only one material and one texture, so parts with different materials need to be different meshgroups.

so a meshgroup is a part of the mesh right? this mesh has no textures and all parts are 1 material in it but its still not visible..
(for as far as i can see and my knowledge goes i could not find any textures or multiple materials per item)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looks like the outline of the Star Trek Voyager.

Orbiter can only use single sided surfaces. Double sided surfaces will be reduced to single sided, and the result may be what you are seeing.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Simple analogy. Imagine mesh as simplest plastic toy car. Body will be one meshgroup (no moving parts), while each wheel will be separate meshgroup. Each meshgroup consist of triangles. Each meshgroup can be assigned with only one material (most modern 3d modellers support multiple materials per meshgroup).

As for your problem:

Keep in mind that orbiter supports only triangle faces (polygons). I don't know how blender > msh export tool handles 4+ polygons. Also that missing part, if it's sigle meshgroup is looking pretty complicated. IIRC (can't confirm it right now) I had some problems with meshgroups containing more than 65k triangles (but that might be related to 3ds format I used at a time.

[rant]
While the modern modellers have great modelling tools compared to 90's, they obscure a lot of actual mesh creation details and knowledge, that's crucial for any realtime applications.
[/rant]

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Simple analogy. Imagine mesh as simplest plastic toy car. Body will be one meshgroup (no moving parts), while each wheel will be separate meshgroup. Each meshgroup consist of triangles. Each meshgroup can be assigned with only one material (most modern 3d modellers support multiple materials per meshgroup).

As for your problem:

Keep in mind that orbiter supports only triangle faces (polygons). I don't know how blender > msh export tool handles 4+ polygons. Also that missing part, if it's sigle meshgroup is looking pretty complicated. IIRC (can't confirm it right now) I had some problems with meshgroups containing more than 65k triangles (but that might be related to 3ds format I used at a time.

[rant]
While the modern modellers have great modelling tools compared to 90's, they obscure a lot of actual mesh creation details and knowledge, that's crucial for any realtime applications.
[/rant]

Aah i understand

rtsDlfy.png

in the outliner it looks like this

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Looks like the outline of the Star Trek Voyager.

Orbiter can only use single sided surfaces. Double sided surfaces will be reduced to single sided, and the result may be what you are seeing.

this is an mesh of the Vesta Class Starship, how can i recognize in blender if its single sided or double?

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

As for your problem:

[rant]
[/rant]

i found out on another ship that when i add textures in blender it makes the ship invisible in orbiter but without textures its visible, any idea whats wrong with that?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
i found out on another ship that when i add textures in blender it makes the ship invisible in orbiter but without textures its visible, any idea whats wrong with that?
That would suggest that there's something wrong with the textures you're applying.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
First off, that's a lot of Groups.

Assuming you're using vlad's Mesh Export addon for Blender, each separate object is going to be a separate meshgroup in the final orbiter mesh. And to keep things simple, the more groups, the more calculations the graphics card will make, and the worse the performance will be.
Now that might not be the problem of the transparency. If it happens when you try to apply a texture, then it might be a problem of the texture not being found in orbiter.

By default, the exporter will assume all textures you use are stored in "[Orbiter Folder]/Textures/[Mesh Name]tex/", which, in case your name is 'foobar', the path will be 'Textures/foobartex/'. Inside should be the textures with the same name you defined in Blender, with a DDS format.

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That would suggest that there's something wrong with the textures you're applying.

i got it now :D

just 1 more question xD when the sun shines on the ship the side where the sun shines is dark and where its supposed to be dark its all light.. how does this happen xD?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks like your normals are inverted after all.

Normals are the line that goes through the face, perpenticular to it. But as it is 3D graphics and not plain mathematics, it is defined as a vector instead.
So, it has a direction, and that direction is used to calculate the side that is lit by the Sun.
And in case they're reversed, it indeed looks like the wrong side is being lit up.

In blender, for each object, go into Edit Mode and hit 'Recalculate Normals'. Then re-export the mesh and normally it should be fine.

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Normals are the line that goes through the face, perpenticular to it. But as it is 3D graphics and not plain mathematics, it is defined as a vector instead.
So, it has a direction, and that direction is used to calculate the side that is lit by the Sun.
And in case they're reversed, it indeed looks like the wrong side is being lit up.

In blender, for each object, go into Edit Mode and hit 'Recalculate Normals'. Then re-export the mesh and normally it should be fine.

i cant find that recalculate normals... where is it xD

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

i found it but it does not fix the problem somehow..

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

7c47953e8bc9d63709b61085e16ba327.png

it's on the left menu you can open and close by pressing T on the 3D View panel.

any other solution?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Are you sure you have meshed the outsides of your surfaces and not the insides? Try flipping your triangles around by inverting the node order (flip two of the vertex indices for each of the triangles) and see if that helps. I'm sure your meshing tool should have a function for that.

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
As SolarLiner said try to recalculate normals. You just have to do it for every single mesh group. Select group "TAB" to go to edit mode then "ctrl + N" to recalculate then repeat the process. Btw that model is hi-poly it's almost 850k triangles, that's good for offline rendering or baking AO's or normal maps but is an overkill for a ingame mesh.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
In case you didn't know, for 'recalculate normals' and 'flip normals' to work, you have to be in edit mode and have some/all faces selected.