Question Should I Post this Addon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
While studying C++ and Visual Studio 2010 I loaded up the source files for [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4781"]LolaMFD for Orbiter 2010[/ame] to use as a test platform. While studying the code I noticed one oapiDebugString line uncommented. I commented it out, recompiled the code, ran a scenario, and found that (to no one's surprise but my own, I am sure) no longer did I have that annoying debug string in white at the lower left of the screen.

Is this minor change enough to justify another version posted to Orbit Hanger?

Pros: 1) It's the first thing I've ever done that's worked in C++ and VS2010.
2) That debug string is really annoying, and I've seen other posters mention that too, so my change is useful. (Orb was nice enough to share his mod that totally eliminated the debug string, but unfortunately that also blocks *all* debug strings, and that space is used by several other addons to provide user instructions.)
3) As I understand it, Lola is open sourced, and anyone can contribute as long as full credit is given and the source files are included.
4) I am sure the last developers to work on it meant to remove the debugs, since all other instances of oapiDebugString are indeed commented out. They just missed one.

Cons: 1) It's the first thing I've ever done that's worked in C++ and VS2010.
2) It's a really, really simple fix for anyone who knows even the basics of coding, so it might be regarded as too trivial to post.
3) Even though Lola is still useful, it is also still incomplete and somewhat buggy. I'd love to be able to fix it, or write my own autopilot from scratch, but that is going to be a bit into the future, as I am still learning basics.

So what do you guys think? If the consensus is no, well, another in my pile of self tweaked mods that only exist on my computer.

And that's just fine too....

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I think that it is worthy, much more worthy than those texture repaints we have had recently.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd say so, but first you should contact an administrator so that you will not be banned. :lol:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I am offended by this statement.

Well, you can feel that way, but it wasn't intended towards you directly. Besides, was it worth posting that? Some things are best left to yourself.

EDIT: Back to the OP, I think it'd be fine if you did what Samuel Edwards previously explained.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe Scruce should've kept that comment to himself.

On-topic: Doesn't this forum allow you to attach .zips to posts? If you can, you could post it on the LolaMFD comments page.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score

On-topic: Doesn't this forum allow you to attach .zips to posts? If you can, you could post it on the LolaMFD comments page.

Well, in all honesty, a fix to something practical is much more useful than eye-candy.

Plus, not everyone on O-F has a taste for candy colored ponies plastered on their 'other car.' However, something that helps drive that car is universally appealing to most everyone.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him

That's not how the world works. You ARE going to be offended sometimes and you are just going to have to move on.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think it's worth it. It is open-source and has received plenty of big and small contributions from different authors, this is just another useful improvement. :thumbup:

Welcome to the Internet, mate.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am offended by this statement.

The world doesn't revolve around you. There's a concept called "Free Speech", which means Scruce or anyone else gets to make a comment without having to care about your feelings. If you can't take it, you don't need to be on O-F.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have the freedom to disagree as well.

So why did Eli13 say "Some things are best left to yourself"?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Okay, I'll be an adult and contribute to the threadjacking.

I see no reason that you couldn't post the addon. However you definitely need to give full credit to LazyD, rawash, et. al., and I would recommend that you call it something like an: "Unofficial Patch".

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
IMHO, you should. That's how open source works. People build upon the work of other people, and the world becomes a better place :)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, in all honesty, a fix to something practical is much more useful than eye-candy.

Removing the debug string from LoLA MFD actually is eye-candy...

Still, I think it is worth an upload.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Removing the debug string from LoLA MFD actually is eye-candy...

No, it's sloppy work by the author(s) of the add-on. Debug string should be for debugging. At worst, for notifying the user if an error that they should post about...

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
This thread has made some....developments. :uhh:

I would like to make it clear, Pipcard. That I was refering almost specifically to the texture porting from SSU to Shuttle Fleet without permission from either of the Shuttle Fleet/SSU developers.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
No, it's sloppy work by the author(s) of the add-on. Debug string should be for debugging. At worst, for notifying the user if an error that they should post about...

Not sloppiness at all. The author never finished it because he (lazyd) died. I'm sure it kinda ruined his day as well.

I don't see any issues with an update to the addon being posted a bit like the stage.dll addon fix for SC3.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Typical line of an IT employment contract: Death is no reason to stop working. You can go when the work is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.