Show your Texas pride!

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com

? It wasn't funny. Which means there is a bit of denigration in that laughter.

Anyway - I'm not from there. Though I can see it. The way it's measured is not by "standard", that is something different, as is "generic". It certainly is possible to be without accent, but it's all in how you define and measure it. I'm sure the English think they speak it "properly" and without an accent, that it's the rest of the world that mangled it, no matter how generic it may or may not be.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Well the movies have kinda played the Texas pysco thing, not really, but we do have a *pretty* leniant law system compared to most states. Then again, we do have the death penalty... Here in Texas, there is no law with long guns in a car, even in your pulled over. Essentially, the law states that it is a crime to carry a handgun "on or about your person." This law began in the 1870's as a Jim Crow statute intended only to be applied to black people. Over the intervening century, it has been interpreted, in my opinion, too broadly by the courts to include the passenger compartment of a car. Generally, your trunk is a safe place to carry, although I have seen one case here in San Saba when the local cops ran a guy in for a gun in his trunk. Not because it was a good case, but merely because they wanted to harass him. Always remember the old saying, "you may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride."
But the law goes further and makes an exception for persons who are "traveling." Traveling, as it has been interpreted by the courts means, basically, going away from one's domicile, or residence, for an extended trip of some kind. There are no exact definitions or parameters. This is what is wrong with the law; it is too vague and subject to abuse by police and prosecutors.
Even if one is truly traveling, you can still go to jail. Say for example, you have a car loaded up with all your belongings and are driving from Austin to Dallas on I35. A cop pulls you over in Temple and he either searches and finds the gun, or you tell him you have one, (which you don't have to do; nor do you have to consent to a search). But for whatever reason, he finds out you have a gun.
How does he know you are truly "traveling?" Often times, he will be an ass and say, "It's not for me to decide. Tell your story to the judge." And he runs you in anyway; knowing full well that you will have to spend a couple of grand to get out of the mess, because you were, in fact, traveling. It's not a good situation for gun owners; we are always facing legal risks when we have guns in our possession. We need to change the law. But it is the law as of this writing
In a recent case before the Court of Criminal Appeals of Texas, a narrow majority (5 to 4) upheld this current state of affairs. The four judges who dissented wanted to fix the problem by giving the word "traveling" its commonly understood, dictionary meaning; which would mean "traveling" anywhere, anytime, even just across town. We need to elect some good judges to that court and get another case up on appeal so that this area of the law can be improved. Either that, or get more strong pro-gun legislators elected to get the law amended. With handhelds,

Wow, and here I thought Texas was the last bastion of freedom and sense. That is very disappointing to hear.

How are you even supposed to buy new ones? If you can't transport them without being taken to jail, wtf?

Apollo 11

Reaction score
I'll tell y'all, the Texas judicial system is crazy! Sorry, I meant holstered, not concealed!! Haha, my bad.

Countdown84

XR5 Payload Wrangler
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.ryankingsbury.com
longhorn.bmp

That's 'bout all I have ta say ta y'all 'bout that.

:)

Cheers to a great state! I was born and raised in Houston and did my undergrad at UT Austin (obviously). I'm in North Carolina now for grad school and I have to say I don't miss the heat, but I definitely miss the BBQ and Tex-Mex!

I had no idea we had so many Texans here.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
What a coincidence! I was born in Houston, too. My parents met at Johnson, so if it weren't for NASA, I wouldn't be here right now.

Apollo 11

Reaction score
LONGHORNS!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!

haha
Number 2 in the coach standings. Only behind Florida... I would bet that it'll be Texas and Florida in the championship. With Texas winning, of course. Oh, and by the way, here in Texas, when we say ball, we mean football. The primary sport in Texas. Good ol' American Football. I played seven seasons when I was 10 years old until I was 17. Startin' fullback.

I was born in San Saba. One of those nice little dustbowl towns. I think I know everyone in the town. That's was Texas is all about. Warm people and good ol' down home hospitality. Oh, and some of that Texas cookin'. Haha

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
AMEN! Personally, I've heard that in Texas, football is a religion (and, I'm more of an Aggie. Gig 'em Aggies!).

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
After living here for the past seven years, I have to ask if there's a difference between the two in mid-August. :p

Man that's so true! It's especially bad on the coast, so humid I start sweating within a minute of stepping out the door. Thankfully I have a working A/C in my truck, that would be terrible as it was only a year ago my old car didn't have A/C. :tumbleweed:

Apollo 11

Reaction score
@ Tex

Y'all down in south Texas have it pretty bad with this dang drought and heat right now. Course Harris county got some pretty good rain today. It's pretty bad in central Texas too. Somethin' like a heat index of 103 up here. But the coast, Corpus to Houston, has been pretty lucky with the hurricanes this year (knocks on wood). After one of those hit we'd get rain for hours, even days.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
? It wasn't funny. Which means there is a bit of denigration in that laughter.

Anyway - I'm not from there. Though I can see it. The way it's measured is not by "standard", that is something different, as is "generic". It certainly is possible to be without accent, but it's all in how you define and measure it. I'm sure the English think they speak it "properly" and without an accent, that it's the rest of the world that mangled it, no matter how generic it may or may not be.

Sorry. The laughter was because I'm minoring in linguistics, and so the concept of any region with "no accent at all" strikes me the same way that Star Wars physics strikes an orbinaut. As you said, it's all in how you define and measure accent, and so, because you'll always find at least one person that thinks a given other person "has an accent", it makes more sense to say that everybody has an accent and to talk about the differences between two different accents rather than whether one style of speech is an "accent" or not.

Generality can be used as a measure of what constitutes "no accent," but it only goes so far. You can speak of a general "neutral accent" in the US, and maybe in Britain (although Britain has a lot more variety), but you can't really speak of an accent that would be percieved as neutral in both places.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I am 30 minutes from Texas. Its ok. Not the best state. Oh yeah, OU will crush the Longhorns as soon as they play. My sister is going to OU.

Attachments

• uo.jpg
    uo.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Houston area. (Baytown specifically) About half an hour from Johnson Space Center. :)
Good bit of rain recently. Still extremely hot though, and we've had band marching practice. :p
The other day, we were marching about 9:30 to noon, with a heat index of 104-108 and something like 90% humidity.

Apollo 11

Reaction score
OU, Sooners, We beat y'all last year! We'll leave it to the football field to decide the winner of that game. (Even if everyone knows UT will win:))