Request Skylon

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I think someone already made this before.

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
I started to make a simple skylon mesh in the summer, but stopped working on it ... I think i'm gonna work a little more on it this week...
When i'm at home I can post some pictures.
I talked to Urwumpe, and if I recall correctly he was willing to adapt some old code by someone to use it in the sabre engines.. that is, when he has a little free time from coding SSU.

Stay tuned for a pic of my beginner model.:p

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
This is the mesh now
attachment.php

To be done:

- Payload bay and doors
- Engine nozzles
- Better wheels, and space to retract them
- Probably some better wings

- Textures

and.. any suggestion :)

Attachments

• sky.JPG
    sky.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That looks :speakcool:.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Looks good.

N.

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
Payload bay is done.
attachment.php

Next thing on the list.. engine nozzles.

attachment.php

There are four nozzles in the middle, but whats the outside thing? I guess its a round aperture around the four nozzles..

Attachments

• sky2.JPG
    sky2.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 472
  • sabre.JPG
    sabre.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 468

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There are four nozzles in the middle, but whats the outside thing? I guess its a round aperture around the four nozzles..

Not perfectly round, but yes. It is a number of afterburner (or reheat) cans around the rocket engine nozzles.

Interceptor

Reaction score
We need one of these in orbiter

Check this out the Skylon space plane very cool ,this would be great edition to orbiter,very Von Braun looking.Thanks

Interceptor

Reaction score
Thank you!

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

OOPs!sorry about that didn't know that one is being made already,anyways very cool.:cheers:

DarkEnergy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is this project still in progress? I just checked to see if Skylon has been done yet because I just made my own (half) model of it as my first 3d project. I guess that's why you should check first. :lol:

I attached my version if anyone wants to see. I'll probably continue it even if this has been done since it has taught me a lot.

Attachments

• Skylon1.jpg
    Skylon1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 49

Aurorus

Reaction score
Skylon Addon Progress?

What's the current progress on the Skylon addon? I'm really looking forward to it. It's looking pretty good.

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
Current progress is: abandoned (indefinite halt)

I encourage anyone who wants to make their own mesh if they feel so.

However, I don't rule out finishing (or re-doing) mine in the long term :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I should have a full weekend again, but I could maybe get the Skylon sources I have done so far cleaned up before the end of the year, in case somebody else wants to use them as a start. I am not sure when I will get back to Skylon development in the next time, alone SSU has still enough work for keeping a developer busy full-time for years.

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
I should have a full weekend again, but I could maybe get the Skylon sources I have done so far cleaned up before the end of the year, in case somebody else wants to use them as a start. I am not sure when I will get back to Skylon development in the next time, alone SSU has still enough work for keeping a developer busy full-time for years.

That would be a good reason to dwell upon OO (Orbiter-Oriented) C++ learning, free time permitting.

Interceptor

Reaction score
I like the Fueling apron,and the cargo loading,hanger concept in the skylon video this would be a nice addon for the Xr5,XR2,and DGIVs,ground bases. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh3VKGwALcc"]YouTube- SKYLON Spaceplane: Mission Animation[/nomedia]

Last edited:

hribek

Reaction score

I'd like to develop or help develop a Skylon addon. So far all Orbiter addons I've done were for personal use and hardly worth mentioning. So if you folks had something - anything that could help me out with making it, it would be great. Meshes, textures, code chunks you can spare, etc. Right now I'm munching tutorials.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'd like to develop or help develop a Skylon addon. So far all Orbiter addons I've done were for personal use and hardly worth mentioning. So if you folks had something - anything that could help me out with making it, it would be great. Meshes, textures, code chunks you can spare, etc. Right now I'm munching tutorials.

well, if you want, I can inherit you the program. The sources are pretty tough to read currently, shall I try making you a commented VESSEL3 based version with Lua support, so you can just fill the gaps?