snow from space

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi
It has snowed heavily where i live and i got a couple of day of school :thumbup:
I was wondering what does snow look like from space. Say from the ISS could you see snow in siberia? In orbiter the only snow i can see is on the poles. Is that accurate?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hi
It has snowed heavily where i live and i got a couple of day of school :thumbup:
I was wondering what does snow look like from space. Say from the ISS could you see snow in siberia? In orbiter the only snow i can see is on the poles. Is that accurate?

Just in a few hours ago from Chris Hadfield on the ISS:

BBP2PNECIAAtccF.jpg:large

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Here's the UK circa today.

subsets

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
and the UK covered in snow from 2010. Amazing what a google images search for the phrase 'UK Covered in Snow' will find.

UK-Mainland-covered-by-snow,-07-Jan-2010.jpeg

n orbiter the only snow i can see is on the poles. Is that accurate?

Of course it's not accurate. No matter where you are on the ground in Orbiter it's 14c. Orbiter has no concept of real world weather so the temps are the same. You could add tiles that have snow on them if you wanted to.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Of course it's not accurate. No matter where you are on the ground in Orbiter it's 14c.

With the default atmospheric model that is. If you use the alternative one, ground temps are an average of that location.

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
With the default atmospheric model that is. If you use the alternative one, ground temps are an average of that location.

Can you post a link for such an atmosphere ad on?.
Thanks for the pics and info guys

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Can you post a link for such an atmosphere ad on?.

Orbiter Launchpad -> Extra -> Celestial body configuration -> Atmosphere Configuration -> Celestial body: Earth -> Atmosphere model: NRLMSIS-00 atmosphere model

But it won't make additional snow. :p

Keatah

Reaction score
Which is the best model to use Jacchia or NRLMSIS?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Which is the best model to use Jacchia or NRLMSIS?

Depends on what computer you are running Orbiter:
Doc/Technotes/earth_atm.pdf said:
Altitude [km]|50|150|1000
2006 Legacy model|0.000055|0.000056|

J71G model|0.000289|0.0015|0.0020

NRLMSISE-00 model|0.00384|0.0266|0.0146

Table 1: Timing comparison between atmosphere models: Times for 1000 model evaluations at different altitudes.

{...}

For a real-time application like Orbiter, the computational efficiency of the atmosphere model is important. Atmosphere data are queried at each timeframe by each vessel within the atmosphere range limit of a given celestial body. For densely populated simulation scenarios, a complex atmosphere model may adversely affect performance.

Timing results for the three atmosphere models are shown in Table 1. They show the times for 1000 evaluations of model evaluation at different altitudes. It can be seen that the NRLMSISE-00 model is significantly more expensive than the J71G model by approximately an order of magnitude, and both models are substantially more expensive than the trivial Orbiter legacy model.

It should however be noted that for moderately loaded simulation scenarios, even the more expensive models may not significantly degrade performance. For a test scenario with 50 vessels in the atmosphere, the application of the NRLMSISE-00 model resulted in a drop in frame rate from 130 to 114 frames per second.