So I've finally completed a complete mission with the stock Space Shuttle Atlantis

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
I finally did a complete flight with the stock Orbiter 2010 Atlantis from launch to landing completely manually. The launch was the easy part for me. Having sat through hundreds of automated Shuttle Fleet launches, and having the ascent trajectory and flight events permanently etched into my memory as a result, I put Atlantis into a direct ascent trajectory, with a roll midway through the ascent to a heads-up attitude.

I completed a good OMS-2 burn and watched on my map as the ET plummeted into the Pacific Ocean. After opening the payload bay doors and deploying the Ku-band antenna for use with the TDRS system that the Shuttle Program built, I climbed to an altitude of 620km and deployed the Carina satellite.

I decided that I should try a manual reentry and landing at KSC runway 33. I stowed the antenna, closed the payload bay doors and, using Aerobrake MFD as a reference, I performed a good deorbit burn over the Indian Ocean. I found aerobraking to be very easy and manageable. The catch was that I needed to end up over KSC with just the right amount of energy. That was the tricky part.

It took me about 7 or 8 tries, each time dialing in where I needed to be. Some attempts I would have just a tad too much energy and I would either be moving too fast to make the HAC turn towards the runway or I would be overshooting KSC completely. On other attempts, I would make it to Florida but just not have quite enough energy to make runway 33.

I finally got an attempt where I was making it to KSC consistently but ever so slightly low on energy. Loading that save, I was able to gain that energy back by pulling up to increase my altitude (I was still moving fast enough to do that). I used Glideslope 2.3 for the HAC and runway alignment. Having grown up on Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, greasing my magnificent flying machine onto the runway was second nature to me.

I couldn't believe that I had actually done it. At wheel stop I just stared in awe at Atlantis for several minutes. That manual mission was the most satisfying moment in Orbiter for me since I first completed a complete Apollo moon mission. I'm still a little bit ecstatic if you can't tell.

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Bringing a spaceplane in for a successful landing after a manual reentry is one of the most challenging things you can do in Orbiter. Congrats on a job well done!

richfororbit

Reaction score
Nice read. Good work.

I have never done that. Only capsule returns, and well some shuttle returns certainly not on the runway, once even off the west coast of Wasthington state, actually in the pacific ocean.:embarrassed:

The difference is now, I could perhaps try that launch and return on a runaway at least quite near it, via base mfd.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I finally got an attempt where I was making it to KSC consistently but ever so slightly low on energy. Loading that save, I was able to gain that energy back by pulling up to increase my altitude (I was still moving fast enough to do that). I used Glideslope 2.3 for the HAC and runway alignment. Having grown up on Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, greasing my magnificent flying machine onto the runway was second nature to me.

Real happy you had a good flight with my Glideslope 2.3. If you get into a consistent pattern of nailing the reentry and landing multiple times, then PM me and I would like to take some of your reentry log files to define "THE" reference glideslope for future Orbitnauts in a future Glideslope release. (I am working on Glideslope 3.0 off and on in the background ... deeper integration with BaseSync, auto-land capability in a vacuum, auto-generated reference Glideslope for a vacuum, altitude support for the new Orbiter, and then I may come back to do more work on aero-reentries.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Real happy you had a good flight with my Glideslope 2.3. If you get into a consistent pattern of nailing the reentry and landing multiple times, then PM me and I would like to take some of your reentry log files to define "THE" reference glideslope for future Orbitnauts in a future Glideslope release. (I am working on Glideslope 3.0 off and on in the background ... deeper integration with BaseSync, auto-land capability in a vacuum, auto-generated reference Glideslope for a vacuum, altitude support for the new Orbiter, and then I may come back to do more work on aero-reentries.

I don't think that my reentries would provide a historically accurate reentry path. Instead of coming in with an angle of attack of 40 degrees, I come in at more or less 8 degrees. Although I come in with only a G load of 2 or 3 at the most, I probably singe a lot of the white tiles and the windows.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Also, when I do it with Shuttle Fleet, I reach a certain low altitude around 20 or 25km where I'm still going over 1km a second and I get this weird uncontrolled yaw from the orbiter, only remedied by opening the speed brakes to bleed off speed before turning into the runway.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't think that my reentries would provide a historically accurate reentry path. Instead of coming in with an angle of attack of 40 degrees, I come in at more or less 8 degrees. Although I come in with only a G load of 2 or 3 at the most, I probably singe a lot of the white tiles and the windows.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Also, when I do it with Shuttle Fleet, I reach a certain low altitude around 20 or 25km where I'm still going over 1km a second and I get this weird uncontrolled yaw from the orbiter, only remedied by opening the speed brakes to bleed off speed before turning into the runway.

Ugh! 8 degrees would kill you for sure! IIRC, the Shuttle had an AoA window of around 3 degrees max. If you are getting way too much lift from a 40 degree AoA, you need to fly some S-turns. Watching some of the cockpit video (NSF L2 stuff), the initial S-turns would often be a roll of more than 90 degrees (i.e. to reverse the lift vector), then gradually rock down the reentry corridor with reducing roll angles until the azimuth is good and the Shuttle is into thicker air again.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Ugh! 8 degrees would kill you for sure! IIRC, the Shuttle had an AoA window of around 3 degrees max. If you are getting way too much lift from a 40 degree AoA, you need to fly some S-turns. Watching some of the cockpit video (NSF L2 stuff), the initial S-turns would often be a roll of more than 90 degrees (i.e. to reverse the lift vector), then gradually rock down the reentry corridor with reducing roll angles until the azimuth is good and the Shuttle is into thicker air again.

The stock Atlantis can't handle the high aoa. The aerodynamics are off and flying more or less nose forward is your best bet. With Shuttle Fleet, the aerodynamic qualities of the orbiters are more like they were in real life so AutoFCS has no issue flying them in with a 40 degree aoa and plenty of S-turns. I'm pretty much in the dark when it comes to all those things. I'm still in the Wright Brothers phase of manual reentries. Lots of trial and error and experimentation.

I guess this is why astronauts spent countless hours in simulators flying the Shuttle through reentries and landings and flying the STA in hundreds of approach and landing practices. They could probably do it all in their sleep or blindfolded if they had to.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's what got me into doing Glideslope 2, actually. I wanted to determine optimal reentry glideslopes, and then translate them into digital readouts to allow a manual reentry. I haven't got around to doing the S-turn autopilot, but one day.

Meanwhile, my prototype new GS2 is getting pretty good at fully automated landing to Brighton Beach direct from orbit. Graphics and BaseSync integration still to do, but the AP and control logic is looking solid now.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I finally did a complete flight with the stock Orbiter 2010 Atlantis from launch to landing completely manually. The launch was the easy part for me. Having sat through hundreds of automated Shuttle Fleet launches, and having the ascent trajectory and flight events permanently etched into my memory as a result, I put Atlantis into a direct ascent trajectory, with a roll midway through the ascent to a heads-up attitude.

I completed a good OMS-2 burn and watched on my map as the ET plummeted into the Pacific Ocean. After opening the payload bay doors and deploying the Ku-band antenna for use with the TDRS system that the Shuttle Program built, I climbed to an altitude of 620km and deployed the Carina satellite.

I decided that I should try a manual reentry and landing at KSC runway 33. I stowed the antenna, closed the payload bay doors and, using Aerobrake MFD as a reference, I performed a good deorbit burn over the Indian Ocean. I found aerobraking to be very easy and manageable. The catch was that I needed to end up over KSC with just the right amount of energy. That was the tricky part.

It took me about 7 or 8 tries, each time dialing in where I needed to be. Some attempts I would have just a tad too much energy and I would either be moving too fast to make the HAC turn towards the runway or I would be overshooting KSC completely. On other attempts, I would make it to Florida but just not have quite enough energy to make runway 33.

I couldn't believe that I had actually done it. At wheel stop I just stared in awe at Atlantis for several minutes. That manual mission was the most satisfying moment in Orbiter for me since I first completed a complete Apollo moon mission. I'm still a little bit ecstatic if you can't tell.

Nice:)

I remember the first time I did an unpowered reentry and landing, in an XR-5. That was a nice feeling.

Your next challenge is to stick a landing like that without Aerobrake. I still haven't pulled that off yet;)