Project Solar System Exploration Kit

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm working on a set of vessels, base modules, and cargoes designed to work together to provide a framework for exploring and colonising the solar system in orbiter. I'm trying to make it as realistic as possible, albeit with some currently theoretical propulsion systems. I'm going to start simple with everything connecting together via simple docking points but i think this would work well using IMS (Interplanetary Modular Spacecraft... do the google thing) so i'll try and make a version for that too

all of these modules are built to be launched from the Hyperion4 with a side mounted buran container.
so far i've made rough models for:

A Fusion powered tug module

MTV02.png

A smaller chemical rocket tug for orbital maneuvers

A Cargo truss

cargotruss01.png

a command module

commandmodulesketchup.png

and a cargo lander for non-atmospheric bodies. i did sart modelling an atmospheric lander but decided Delta-IV or XR fleet would be just fine!

I hope to include some station modules and surface factories as well.

I've made a start on a couple of base modules which will be packed in crates for landing and then deployed on the surface, hypothetically the crates will contain tools for the making building materials out of the local materials. So you can have nice big base modules without suspending too much disbelief. Currently i plan on doing this via spacraft3 payload configs; i think i can set one up so you can land the crate on mars or wherever, press 'j' and spawn the base module? If i get the time i'd make large base modules that can be placed so as to be connected and an assortment of UCGO farms and factories to deploy in them so you can make self sufficient colonies as you go.

i lack in programming skills to add payload manager functionality to the cargo truss. It would be easy to code using UCGO but the 1.5m box's are way too small for my needs. does anyone know if there's a secret third option?

Right, i've rambled enough, i guess i just wanted to show what i've done so far so..

cheerio

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
not been doing much modding for a while so just a wee update, to keep the thread alive. There are now 3 modules at .dll stage: the bh fusion tug, the cargo truss and the command module, see screen shot below.

modulestest01.png~original

stats for the tug run as follows:
tug mass: 92.8t
fuel mass: 36.5
propulsion: hb fusion drive
thrust:1.2 Mn
ISP:99932

the cargo truss is made to fit 8 standard size crates (same size as pennyblacks 20ft crates pack) but at the moment i'm relying on UCD for payload attachment.

i'm going to run some test missions now but i think those rather generous stats should be enough to punt a total mission mass of about 500 mt to the outer planets with an extra fuel tank or two.

it all seems to work bug free except the tug stage alone seems occasionally prone to cause a crash when i try to add it via scenario editor

hopefully an update on landers and base modules next!

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
HI tomthenose,how about a seperate container that holds the UCGO cargo similar to woo482s UCGO TEU container,and just have the container be attached,and detatched to the ship,or,truss.

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
well usually i just use woo482's UCGO container and UCD! i don't really use attachment points ever, just docking points or UCD. So to do what you suggest i would need to add parent attachment points to the config at places where the crate would be placed?

here's a better picture of a quick mission i shoved together for a bit of a test voyage. thanks to pennyblack for the dizzying variety of box's to choose from!

maidenvoyage.png~original

Last edited:

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
base modules nearly ready for textures. i found a geodesic dome creator plugin for sketchup!

marsbasemodules.png~original

from left to right dome module, small hab madule, large base module and a garage.