Some online telescopes (free)

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Oh, right. I'll probably try some planetary shots now! Here's another I got back of M57:

103399.png

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
If you download the FITS images and process them (using something like IRIS http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/us/iris/iris.htm ) results are much better.

I selected some good raw images from telescope.org (Bradford Robotic Telescope) archive and with some good processing you can get something like this:

m519mrgbsp.jpg

A hint: you have to select the best focused images and stack a few of them to get rid of the noise and CCD defects. The images are already avaliable dark and flat field corrected and the process is not perfect.

Also, the latest images show that the CCD is dirty, so don't expect great results until someone goes there in person :) to clean it!

But it is a nice tool that is getting me interested again in deepsky imaging and processing.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow 4throck - those are unbelievable! It really shows what you can get out of a photo - thanks.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
It's a tough learning curve, but there are software and tutorials out there that will show you how to do it. A good starting point is the documentation of the IRIS software that I mentioned before.

I wanted to show that astronomical images NEED processing to show something more than a fuzzy patch. Specially things like getting color images through RGB filters (3x the work :)).

george7378, one quick advice would be to try to align the color chanels on your images (the stars should look like points or small circles, not colored lines! ). It depends on whathever image processing tools you have available, but all you need if to be able to shift the individual RGB channels a few pixels in the right direction. That will improve the images a lot.

One thing: I don't think that you should limit yourself to the data you requested. You can (and should) use the image archive. That way, your requests will focus on new objects and not the same stuff every day.

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How about this one:
http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx[/QUOU

You wrote the link wrong. URL's in O-F are written like this Quote this post to see how the code is written
And anyway, that \Home.aspx doesn't need to be written. It doesn't even exist!!! :rofl::cheers::tiphat::lol::)

1.) Links don't need to be written in any particular way.
2.) /Home.aspx does in fact exist, otherwise you'd get an error like you get on this link: http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/ThisDoesNotExist.aspx
3.) Since you're so insistent on how people should write their posts, maybe you can at least go through the effort on fixing the quote tag in your own post.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Or check to see if the post you are correcting is less than four years old.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is an interesting idea I didn't know existed...

Now we need a kickstarter to put one on the far side of the Moon...

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Huh. Just put in a couple jobs for Jupiter and Mars to test it out.

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Here's the result of the job I put in for the Pinwheel galaxy/M101.

llLDenQ.jpg