Soyuz TMA-14 atop Soyuz FG on March 26, 2009

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Soyuz TMA-14 will launch a space tourist, Charles Simonyi. It will be his second trip to the ISS. He will land with the Ex.18 crew.
http://www.charlesinspace.com/

Also, this is going to be the last tourist trip to the ISS in the near future. All seats for the subsequent Roscosmos flights are engaged by professional Astronauts and Cosmonauts. There are plans to build a "tourist" Soyuz'es on purpose and perform non-ISS flights with them.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
Good to see another Expedition about to be on it's way! I think the Soyuz is without question one of the best of all time! It has one thing in mind, Efficiency.

The live launch coverage is scheduled to begin 1100 GMT (7:00 AM EDT) on NASA TV. edit: (Currently a pre-launch feed seems about to begin)

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Actual liftoff will be at 11.49am GMT

-----
Also, this expedition is the start of the 6 person crew for the ISS...

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
0_60d2_9453085e_orig

Can anybody kindly check if the launch is going to be visible from the ISS or the Discovery?

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Will a video of the launch be available to download anywhere? Maybe even an HD video? Does anyone know of any sites that host videos of Russian launches? NASA usually don't...

Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the launch live, as I am going to the British National Space Center today (where there is a real life-size Soyuz though)!

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The last one is 250 km south of my home town.

10c0c557472c.jpg

I can recognize some things, like Astana, and Lake Balkhash. I'm having some trouble with reading pixel-sized Cyrillic though, so I can't recognize all the smaller names. Is it correct that the last stages fall somewhere on the Kazakh/Russian border?

What is your home town? Last summer I made some pictures from (what I think is) Novosibirsk, on my return flight from China, but I couldn't match my pictures with what I can see on Google maps.

Edit:
I found the location of my pictures: they are about 10km north of Novosibirsk.

Last edited:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
I can recognize some things, like Astana, and Lake Balkhash. I'm having some trouble with reading pixel-sized Cyrillic though, so I can't recognize all the smaller names. Is it correct that the last stages fall somewhere on the Kazakh/Russian border?

Sorry, could not find this map in a better resolution or translated. Actually, the last (3rd) stage stays in orbit, multiplying the space junk population and eventually falls in a random place within its inclination limits. The 2nd stage (the rocket's core) and 3rd stage adapter fall at the territory of Russia, in Mountain Altai Republic.

What is your home town? Last summer I made some pictures from (what I think is) Novosibirsk, on my return flight from China, but I couldn't match my pictures with what I can see on Google maps.

Mine is Barnaul. Novosibirsk is not very far away, I've been there a number of times.

BTW, the TMA-14 crew members have taken their seats in the capsule. They are showing the rocket fuming at the LC.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
Well, Region that is. About ten minutes to launch

edit: T-2 mintues

edit: Liftoff!

edit: Boosters Jettision

Last edited:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
There's a lift-off!

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

The rocket's passed through the cloud deck, and is not visible anymore.

---------- Post added at 14:53 ---------- Previous post was at 14:52 ----------

The ship's fairing dropped, sun is glaring through the porthole.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
Wonder why we don't get such live shots here with the shuttle! Looks nice in there.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Perminov is bugging Simonyi about his impressions of the last and the current launch.

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

There's a 2nd stage sep.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
3rd Stage jettision, Spacecraft seperation. Another perfect launch! Go Expedition 19!

kklim

Reaction score
The live coverage reported that there will be another flight to the ISS in late May.
With the crew capacity increased to 6, there will be many more flights.
I suppose the production of the Soyuz spacecraft would increase and it would be very busy for them in Baikonur.