Space Brothers: a must-see TV show...

canadave

Reaction score
....for anyone who's ever dreamed of being an astronaut as a kid.

Hi everyone. Been a LONG time since I was an Orbinaut, and I haven't posted in forever. But I've been watching a really neat little TV show over the past week, and quickly came to the realization that this is something that I think many in the Orbiter community might enjoy.

It's a Japanese anime cartoon called "Space Brothers". Very very basically, it's about two brothers who witness a life-changing event together that makes them want to become astronauts.

The show has Japanese dialogue but excellent English subtitles. The plot revolves the two brothers, but also is heavily centered around JAXA and NASA, and includes numerous realistic touches that make it clear that whoever did the series was paying attention to detail (for instance, all the NASA and JAXA buildings are rendered in the anime so as to be the same as they look in real life). In fact, I think JAXA and/or NASA contributed somehow to the show, as it's got a "non-fiction" feel in many places, particularly when talking about astronaut training and so on.

The show is primarily for young people, but I'm 42 and I've found it's an engrossing show. Fascinating story, with many themes throughout that would be considered more adult. The plot can be a little slow, and obviously there's some anime quirks that you'll either like or hate, depending on how much you like anime (I'm not a huge anime fan or anything like that), but overall it's a captivating and at times even poignant story.

The episodes are available online if you want to watch them. Here's a couple of links to sites that contain all the episodes:
http://www.crunchyroll.ca/space-brothers
http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/space-brothers-online

And yes, you should definitely watch the episodes in order, as the show is fully sequential :)

Just wanted to share this very addictive show with fellow space/astronautics fans.

Last edited:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
On episode 3 and yeah Im hooked! Thanks for sharing :cheers: I am using "ADblock plus" and guess what no commercials :thumbup: (none in youtube either :p)

Last edited:

canadave

Reaction score
On episode 3 and yeah Im hooked! Thanks for sharing :cheers: I am using "ADblock plus" and guess what no commercials :thumbup: (none in youtube either :p)
Wow, that was fast...lol! Glad you're enjoying it! It's pretty neat isn't it!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen a little of it. Planning on watching it next after my current show (Eureka 7) is over.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I might watch it if it involved the Hatsunia AeroSpace Development Agency.

And congratulations Izack on your 6000th post!

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Wow, that was fast...lol! Glad you're enjoying it! It's pretty neat isn't it!

Yep watching #5 now. I cant believe I am watching anime at my age but Im having a great time :thumbup:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I love the attention to detail about houston,space center houston,...even the metro buses that run around the city good stuff. @Izack I dont know I guess I have just got to used to History,H2,Science,and Military channels. I does take me back to my childhood watching "Star Blazers" and "Voltron" lol

canadave

Reaction score
I love the attention to detail about houston,space center houston,...even the metro buses that run around the city good stuff. @Izack I dont know I guess I have just got to used to History,H2,Science,and Military channels. I does take me back to my childhood watching "Star Blazers" and "Voltron" lol
haha :)

Yeah, the attention to detail is amazing.

My favourite part so far was the bit about the chair ;)

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am watching #15. Only 60 more episodes left lol. Its a great ride so far.

canadave

Reaction score
I've just made it to episode 15. Ughh...the new opening theme sequence is HORRIBLE. What's with the dancing??? The first opening theme was SO cool--great song, great visuals...this new one is terrible.

I cheated and checked on YouTube...thank goodness it looks like this new opening is replaced by a different one at some point. Yeesh!

Other than that, the show is still VERY entertaining. That little blond-haired character Ya-San is pretty friggin' annoying though...I hope he gets pitched out an airlock soon ;)

By the way...I could be wrong, but I *think* the episodes are still continuing to be released as we speak. It started in 2012, and I don't think they've hit the series finale yet. So if you have 60 episodes left, I think you're going to need to add: ".......for now" to that ;)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Too bad!

Availability Information
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Too bad!

Availability Information

just use a proxy

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

I've just made it to episode 15. Ughh...the new opening theme sequence is HORRIBLE. What's with the dancing??? The first opening theme was SO cool--great song, great visuals...this new one is terrible.

I cheated and checked on YouTube...thank goodness it looks like this new opening is replaced by a different one at some point. Yeesh!

Other than that, the show is still VERY entertaining. That little blond-haired character Ya-San is pretty friggin' annoying though...I hope he gets pitched out an airlock soon ;)

By the way...I could be wrong, but I *think* the episodes are still continuing to be released as we speak. It started in 2012, and I don't think they've hit the series finale yet. So if you have 60 episodes left, I think you're going to need to add: ".......for now" to that ;)
yeah that new opening is a bit on the brady bunch "bubble gum" side. Ya-San IS very annoying

canadave

Reaction score
Too bad!

Availability Information
Try this link, which has links to all the episodes:
http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/space-brothers-online

Let us know if it works for you :)

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

I just discovered a cool example of how much attention to detail is in this show!

So in the opening episode, the very first shot we see is of the moon, briefly, as the story opens in a hospital. The date shown is October 28, 1993 (because a well-known event in Japanese soccer history took place on that date), and the moon is shown almost full. A few minutes later, we see another shot of the moon, again as an afterthought to the story continuing, on the date September 17, 1996 (a date when another well-known event took place). This time, the moon is a crescent. A few minutes later, we see the moon a third time, on July 9, 2006, again as an afterthought to the actual action, and again as almost full.

Now, the phase of the moon has zero to do with anything in the story at those points. They could've made the moon full, crescent, half, whatever...no one would've batted an eyelash. The "point" of showing the moon was simply to emphasize that this story is about two brothers who wind up wanting to go to the moon, and also to show that it's nighttime; the precise phase of the moon would be irrelevant from a cinematographic point of view.

However, I just went and checked--and sure enough, wouldn't you know it, the phases of the moon shown are completely accurate (!!!) for ALL THREE dates. So even though they didn't need to bother, they DID bother to check that info and make sure the phases matched the dates, in case some idiot like me decided to go double-check ;)

VERY cool!

Last edited:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I liked the little homage they did to The Right Stuff in episode 3, with the lung capacity test.

canadave

Reaction score
Yes it does!
Thank you.

:tiphat:
Excellent! You're welcome :thumbup: Enjoy!

I liked the little homage they did to The Right Stuff in episode 3, with the lung capacity test.
That was such a cool little scene, for a variety of reasons. Episode 3 is maybe my favourite episode so far, actually. I could say more and comment why, but I don't want to give away any plot spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet....

canadave

Reaction score
So, are folks still enjoying the show? I'm up to episode 45. WOW. The last few episodes have been......absolutely gripping. I never cease to be amazed how compelling and poignant this show can be!

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I watched the first few episodes over the past week, and I like it. It's like JAXA: The Anime.

The show takes place in the year 2025. JAXA has a "long-term vision" to create "An Ideal Society Through Aerospace Technology" by that year.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice show. I actually watch a fair share of anime, so the format doesn't seem weird to mee at all (I'm not the youngest anymore either, but the thought that animated stuff is just for kids just never occured to me).

That lung capacity test in the third episode seems a bit weird though... Wouldn't that be more of a controlled breath release test? Especially if the guy has played trumpet, he could technically cheat by using circular breathing... (or if he played the didgeridoo).