Space Debris

hughesjs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm doing a part-time PhD and part of that is going to involve me developing an accurate model of the debris environment in LEO.

Would there be any interest in me implementing this in Orbiter once it's production ready?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hi guys,

I'm doing a part-time PhD and part of that is going to involve me developing an accurate model of the debris environment in LEO.

Would there be any interest in me implementing this in Orbiter once it's production ready?

What form is this model going to take? Will it be something like a probability density function, or a table of objects?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hi guys,

If you need an accurate model for academic research, why not ask ESA for it?

I have an old version of MASTER from my past studies, you can sure request your own here:

hughesjs

Reaction score
The idea is I'll be able to fire virtual photons out of a simulation of the LIDAR system I'm developing. This is essentially because I need to validate that it'll work at the kind of distances it would need to in orbit.

As for how exactly this would manifest itself, I haven't got that far yet, I'm still at the background research stage. I imaging it would have to generate a list of objects at some point, otherwise I wouldn't be able to test photon collisions. This would likely be generated from a probability density function that's been created from a combination of observational data and simulation (for the smallest stuff).

However, I get we don't want 100,000s of objects floating around in the game so I'd probably have to do dynamic generation of the objects from the density function for a volume of space around the player and maybe add some culling.

I've not fleshed these details out yet, just trying to gauge interest because that'll determine whether or not I factor in the potential desire for it to be integrated into this while developing it rather than just making it something I can run on the Uni's SC

hughesjs

Reaction score
If you need an accurate model for academic research, why not ask ESA for it?

I have an old version of MASTER from my past studies, you can sure request your own here:

You might've just saved me a lot of work... That being said, I doubt it'll let me fire photons around it, model reflections and calculate time-dilation corrected arrival times?

I should be able to write a program that uses the data from MASTER though... So cheers!

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
This feels like an addon to develop, rather than something to implement into the Orbiter core itself.