Gaming Space Engineers (now in BETA)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Anyone else having issues getting it to update? It downloaded an update, but now stuff isn't working right... And the news on the first menu is last weeks.

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

EDIT: Hrm... the new parts are there... so what's going on?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
EDIT: Hrm... the new parts are there... so what's going on?
If it's just the Steam saying it's updating, but the game's Build ID is 329602 (in properties) and in game it displays 01.039.010 at bottom right of main menu, then it's all fine, only some Steam issue.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have Space Engineers stuck in my download queue as "Starting: 0/0 Bytes", but the game itself works fine.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
2014-07-31_00001.jpg

---------- Post added 01-08-14 at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was 31-07-14 at 10:05 PM ----------

Would be nice if they replaced the "Batteries in use" line with a percentage of the remaining kWh in all the currently discharging batteries. The interface has a long way to go.

Nevertheless, the development pace of this game continues to be surprising and encouraging. Keen's being pretty cool, even if they are still pushing the realism thing.

Finally:
2014-08-01_00001.jpg

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This will put an actual use of my two-seat attack ship: one flying around, the other controlling the weapons.

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
With the new update, there seems to be the potential for smarter missiles. I'm thinking of designs for a "capture" missile, with a bunch of mass blocks, a small reactor, thruster, and automatic landing gear. It would be connected with a merge block, and would be launched by simultaneously toggling the merge block and reactor(which would have some fuel). It would be launched at a ship, and then you could use a gravity coupling to tow it back.

(I'm thinking of the AI ships that just drift around)

Probably need to make a design or picture--text might be confusing.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Rather lacking in fixes again, but I'm willing to overlook that for the new features... this time. :p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is the server still in use? I tried to join just to see if it works, but get a warning that the server has an other (older) version.

This is part of the preparations Keen SWH are going through to bring Space Engineers exclusively to the XBox One. Older PC versions of the game will no longer be supported. Bummer.

:j/k:

I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. I'll have a look.

(Though yes, SE is coming to the XBone, though not exclusively.)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Really, there's a few things I think Space Engineers needs before I'll be more interested in playing it regularly.

- Blueprints, so I can make a ship, save the blueprint, then more easily re-create/fix the ship after it's been damaged.
- AI to zoom around and fix the ship for me.
- Actual objectives. Crashing things into each other is only fun for so long. Give me missions, or better yet an Elite-style open universe where I can go explore and do stuff in the ship I built. Building and looking at a ship is cool and all, but I want to do something with it.

Really, right now Space Engineers is just a very fiddly modelling software with some physics built in. It would be awesome if they would start adding game features...

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I think Space Engineers attempts to follow the path Minecraft has taken. But I really hope there will be objective-based worlds in the future. Also the idea for AI ships (not necessarily welders) is great.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Really, there's a few things I think Space Engineers needs before I'll be more interested in playing it regularly.

- Blueprints, so I can make a ship, save the blueprint, then more easily re-create/fix the ship after it's been damaged.
- AI to zoom around and fix the ship for me.
- Actual objectives. Crashing things into each other is only fun for so long. Give me missions, or better yet an Elite-style open universe where I can go explore and do stuff in the ship I built. Building and looking at a ship is cool and all, but I want to do something with it.

Really, right now Space Engineers is just a very fiddly modelling software with some physics built in. It would be awesome if they would start adding game features...

According to one of the development blogs, there's unlikely to be an AI.

As for the rest, I agree. The game is currently a drilling, grinding, welding and block placing simulator. It seems they're just gonna focus on multiplayer and that's something that's gonna hurt the game in the long run.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
According to one of the development blogs, there's unlikely to be an AI.

As for the rest, I agree. The game is currently a drilling, grinding, welding and block placing simulator. It seems they're just gonna focus on multiplayer and that's something that's gonna hurt the game in the long run.
Sad. There's so much potential there.