Gaming Space Engineers (now in BETA)

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
A few shots from the Izack's server's today session, while I was still in:

Unlike in single player or on my private dedicated server, I didn't know what to build or what to do there. :p

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Has anyone got SweetFX to work with Space Engineers? The problem with a lot of games (including Orbiter) is anti-aliasing being enabled, but here there's little to no graphics options.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Has anyone got SweetFX to work with Space Engineers?

I had used it with Space Engineers a few months ago to change the tone map because of too dim astronaut spotlights, before I started editing the built-in shaders to do the same without using external programs.

If you are on a 64-bit Windows, you need to copy files from SweetFX_x64 subdirectory to the parent directory and replace original files (and of course place the SweetFX in the Bin or Bin64 subdirectories first). It should work just fine in full screen mode, and may not work at all (crash to desktop) in windowed.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Had a look through the SE forums. It sort of irks me that this game is pushed as "realism-driven." It simply isn't. The only realistic thing in it is maybe the frictionless space.

They talk about engineering like it's some sort of simplistic mysticism, and laud themselves as above other, similar sandboxes with their claims of realism.

I love the game, but between the above and the irrelevant cult-of-engineering quotes in the loading screen, it's sort of... duplicitous, I guess?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So, they're kinda like the KSP folk, huh? :lol:

Or those Orbiter folks. Bunch of jerks. :j/k:

In other news, dedicated server is in the works. Once it's all configured, it should be good to go today, or possibly tomorrow.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or those Orbiter folks. Bunch of jerks. :j/k:

In other news, dedicated server is in the works. Once it's all configured, it should be good to go today, or possibly tomorrow.
:woohoo:

Should we use some sort of voice communications if playing with each other? Maybe a TeamSpeak/Mumble server, or maybe use the OMP one (it is set, and up and running, if Ren Dhark is okay with that we can open a permanent Space Engineers channel and maybe let factions install their private channels as well).

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's up, but limited to 8 players for now.

IP is 192.99.161.90:27215

To join, you must be in the Steam group here:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ofse

I would have used the other O-F one, but I'm not an admin in it.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

:woohoo:

Should we use some sort of voice communications if playing with each other? Maybe a TeamSpeak/Mumble server, or maybe use the OMP one (it is set, and up and running, if Ren Dhark is okay with that we can open a permanent Space Engineers channel and maybe let factions install their private channels as well).

That would be great!

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know how to directly join a server in Space Engineers, but I got it through the group members.
Seems to be working fine!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know how to directly join a server in Space Engineers, but I got it through the group members.
Seems to be working fine!

In Steam, go to View > Servers, and add the address above to your favourites. While in game, you can return to that window and select "Connect". It's much easier than trying to find it in the server list.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
In one word: Volatile.
The game is not very well suited for constructive multiplayer - everything some people built for many minutes can easily be wiped out by a single missile blast from people with lower boredom tolerance.
Or just by bad piloting or forgetting that thrusters do damage.

One kind of game that could work is scrapheap challenge/demolition derby.
Give people N amount of time to make a ship, then it's all against all, and whoever is running last wins.

In general, "then" can be followed by many things - a race, a "best looking ship" contest, etc.

Unlike Minecraft, here i don't see much potential for an actual persistent world where people build stuff.

That's the sum of my impressions from today's little session.

In Steam, go to View > Servers, and add the address above to your favourites. While in game, you can return to that window and select "Connect".
And here is the sentence that could have saved some people a lot of googling. :)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Yeah, the CAS Demeter took a beating from someone who came in, took a couple potshots at her with a rocket launcher and the gatling guns, then boogied. It's taking a while to patch up, but I've almost got it fixed.

Damned Griefers.

EDIT: Repairs and upgrades (upper deck access) completed as of 21:23 UTC.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, the CAS Demeter took a beating from someone who came in, took a couple potshots at her with a rocket launcher and the gatling guns, then boogied. It's taking a while to patch up, but I've almost got it fixed.

Damned Griefers.

EDIT: Repairs and upgrades (upper deck access) completed as of 21:23 UTC.

Who was it? The server is only open to members of the OFSE group.

Not that it matters much, as it's creative and repairs are free and easy, but I'd rather limit griefing once we switch to survival.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Who was it? The server is only open to members of the OFSE group.

Not that it matters much, as it's creative and repairs are free and easy, but I'd rather limit griefing once we switch to survival.

Didn't catch a person actually doing it... but I'll PM you the name I think did it.

Also, added a lower level to the base with a refinery and three assemblers. Also moved the Med Bay and the grav generator downstairs as well, and removed the ones on the flight deck. Still need to redo that deck with Heavy Blocks to withstand the thrusters, though.
Finally, added a docking arm with four connectors and a collector for if the server kicks over to survival.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yeah, the CAS Demeter took a beating from someone who came in, took a couple potshots at her with a rocket launcher and the gatling guns, then boogied.
That would be me. :(
Sorry, it looked very much like one of the randomly generated vessels, so i didn't ask twice before using it as a target practice.
On the bright side, the blue repair ship that helped with it's repairs was mine as well.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
That would be me. :(
Sorry, it looked very much like one of the randomly generated vessels, so i didn't ask twice before using it as a target practice.
On the bright side, the blue repair ship that helped with it's repairs was mine as well.

No worries, man. She disapoofed when Izack updated the server to survival.