Gaming Space Engineers (now in BETA)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Update 01.036

Update 01.036:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTrO9uaa-BM"]Space Engineers - Fully functional conveyor-connector system, custom astronaut's suit color - YouTube[/ame]
And a side note that it's still on a 33% off community choice flash deal yet for 20 minutes. :p

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Space Engineers just hit the Steam Summer Sale daily deals, once again 33% off.

Allan

Reaction score
Solid game, I've owned it for roughly a month now. I'm very impressed with the developers responsiveness to suggestions and feedback. I'm curious to see how this sandbox game will mature. Typically these types end up many against a few, the strong (established) against the upstart(weak), the passive versus the aggressive. Enjoyable game.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Multiplayer?
Huh?
Oh, it's been in development this whole year and turned into an awesome game...

If there is an Orbiter server, i'm in.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How stable is it, as a long term server?

How many people can it (both server and client) handle? More importantly--how many peoples' constructions can it handle before it gets too slow?

Can people handle the fact that things they make on the server will very probably get exploded, either intentionally or unintentionally, by other people?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've been to several servers and I saw many different people playing, building on their own, so yeah, I think they understand the risk.

But the frequent updates may mean that a server is going to need maintenance...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
But the frequent updates may mean that a server is going to need maintenance...
A (dedicated) server will need to be stopped at least once a week and updated when a new game update arrives, as otherwise there will be client/server versions mismatch.

Sometimes it may also require manual editing of the configuration file or updating the world save with newly added fields before it can be restarted (I think 2 weeks ago I needed to generate a new empty world in single player and copy from its Sandbox.sbc to an existing world on my private dedicated server a few fields which were missing there, because otherwise the server treated the save game as invalid). And now I haven't even yet started it after the last update, because most likely I need to reset block permissions first to be able to play without spawning as a new character in a new rescue ship.

Allan

Reaction score
If a server goes up I'm definitely interested in participating. I openly admit I haven't played very much and still have a lot to learn. But I think knowing people in-game could help smooth the rough edges faster. Keep me posted please.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
If there is a server, please don't turn meteor storms on. Even on their lowest frequency I spent all my time and resources trying to keep the turrets fed with ammo.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What I'd like to for now is open a server to a few members and test the performance. My dedicated rig isn't ready yet, and I'm not sure of my ISP performance. We may be switching to high-performance fiber-optic cable before too long, which would be awesome.

If any of you are available in the next few hours, or after 1500 UTC on Tuesday or Wednesday, let's see what we can do.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Even on their lowest frequency I spent all my time and resources trying to keep the turrets fed with ammo.
Yeah. The meteoroid storms and cargo ships are spawning too often, and since they removed MinActivationTime and MaxActivationTime event parameters from the sector save there's no way to tweak their spawn rate any further (well, these parameters worked correctly only for cargo ships spawn rate, anyway).

While I usually play with them turned on, I keep all my acquired Private Sails and Business Shipments in a shadow of the central asteroid, and with my base built inside it.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While I usually play with them turned on, I keep all my acquired Private Sails and Business Shipments in a shadow of the central asteroid, and with my base built inside it.

I tried the Armaggedon scenario and I survived because I was on the shadow of the asteroid. This is all you have to do: build the station on the shadow of the asteroid, with only the solar panels getting out.

Now if a dedicated server is not made, we can always get into a server, start a faction and coop together, or start several factions, and trade, or fight, whatever :)

Allan

Reaction score
I tried the Armaggedon scenario and I survived because I was on the shadow of the asteroid. This is all you have to do: build the station on the shadow of the asteroid, with only the solar panels getting out.

Now if a dedicated server is not made, we can always get into a server, start a faction and coop together, or start several factions, and trade, or fight, whatever :)

Arrg sounds very pirate-like. :cheers:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
The big problem with multiplayer at the minute, unless something changed recently, is that all the asteroids are within quite a small distance of map centre, so all activity will be, by necessity, near map centre.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
What I'd like to for now is open a server to a few members and test the performance. My dedicated rig isn't ready yet, and I'm not sure of my ISP performance. We may be switching to high-performance fiber-optic cable before too long, which would be awesome.

If any of you are available in the next few hours, or after 1500 UTC on Tuesday or Wednesday, let's see what we can do.

Count me in for Tuesday.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
The big problem with multiplayer at the minute, unless something changed recently, is that all the asteroids are within quite a small distance of map centre, so all activity will be, by necessity, near map centre.
They can be moved a little farther away from each other if needed, either with a tool or with a text editor, but that needs to be done before people will start building, the best just after the initial world generation.

From my experience moving them 10 times the initial distance usually makes them invisible, with only the central asteroid visible for the player after 1st spawning (the view distance on the max settings is around 7 km). 2-5x the initial distance should be fine if you still want to see other asteroids.

Anyway, I could probably join for a few minutes on Tuesday, too. The only time I saw other astronauts in the game was on April 1. :p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Game is open - just a simple Creative thing for now. The name is "Orbiter Forum".

Last edited: