Gaming Space Engineers (now in BETA)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Okay, attacking the Military Transporter just became a suicide run.

Sounds like fun!

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Okay, raiding ANY ship with turrets just became a suicide run. Wow.

Protip: Stand off at 850 meters and shell the sucker. Clean up what's left.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
A little note about testing locally the dedicated servers which were added yesterday:

The game's internal server browser currently doesn't list LAN servers, so you won't find your local server on the server list, even if it's fully public, neither when it's started as a service nor when it's started with a console.

In order to connect to a dedicated server on the local machine or in LAN you need to do it either from the Steam Server Browser (in Steam client: View -> Servers -> LAN, or otherwise right click the Steam's tray icon -> Servers), or create a new (Internet) shortcut to connect directly to it:
Code:
steam://connect/<address>:<port>

The <address> is the address of the server in the LAN. The <port> should be by default 27016, unless you changed it in the server settings (you can get the server's address and port from the server details in Servers -> LAN when it's running, anyway).

The shortcut will launch the game and join the world automatically if the server is running and is reachable from the client.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I tried this game over the course of a few days and for all the hype, I must say I'm really disappointed. Definitely not worth the money *yet* and by the looks of it, it won't be worth it any time soon...

It's trying to be Minecraft in space and it's failing badly at it.

Here are some of my biggest complaints:

- Crashing on exiting the game to menu.

- Long loading times and I don't know what's going on when you exit to menu - the menu doesn't show up for a while. You can hear the sound of moving the mouse over the buttons, though...

- The game isn't well optimized. Sometimes it runs at hundreds of FPS, sometimes is chugs along at 20 and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the complexity of the scene. Smooth for the most part, but at certain times it just gets the idea that now it wants to be an ass. Reloading the level fixes it.

- Interface is horrible. What am I saying? Beyond horrible. Click and drag is a pain - if often selects the item next to the one you're trying to drag, the inventory screen is very disorganized and everything is BLUE. My monitor supports 16 million colors, but I should have just bought a black-and-blue one instead :p
Once the ships get large, it becomes a pain to sort out the inventory - especially when it's time to move stuff from one container to the next. Yes, I know I can hold-and-scroll, but it's an awful lot of scrolling every time. Good thing I bought a 22" 16:9 monitor, so the inventory screen can take up 1/8 of the screen's surface area instead of the entire thing.

- The game itself currently has no purpose other than building and crashing stuff. It doesn't know what it wants to be.

- Given the limited number of goals a player can accomplish, the only thing that keeps the player interested is the very grindy, very slow progression of the game. Yes, I know I can turn stuff to 3x or 10x, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the game, doesn't it?

- Meteor showers. WTF is all I can say...
Meteors always come from one direction - the Sun as far as I can tell. So the most effective way of shielding your ships and stations is just by parking them behind an asteroid - in the shadow. That's nice, really. Of course, if you don't do that, your ship gets nuked every 5 minutes. If you're just starting out the game, you have no weapons yet capable of defending against the meteors and even once you're well into the game, you're highly limited by ammunition. When ammo takes a bunch of rare metals like Magnesium and Uranium that are VERY SLOW to refine, unless you kick the refinery into 10x, the only solution is to have a whole bunch of refineries working.

- Placing blocks is annoying as hell. For one, you have to have one quantity of the first resource in order to place blocks, which quickly degrades to running from one ship to the next just to make the layout happen. And second, you can only place new blocks by putting the cursor over the existing structure - which is very thin.

- Beyond the huge amount of resources one needs to gather or disassemble from other ships, this becomes a welding, grinding and mining simulator. The recent addition of ship based welder helps, but it's still quite a nuisance.

- Transporting items from one ship to the next is a horrible pain. You can do it manually - in which case you'll spend hours transporting everything. Or you could build a conveyor - collector system that spews items from one ship and into another. In which case you'll spend hours building the system and

- Weapons. Oh yea, about that...
There's no friend-or-foe system. There's no way to mark a ship as "yours" and indeed there's no way of preventing your own turret from shooting at you or sometimes even your ship. My first test of turrets ended with me being shot. My second test ended with my other ship being blown to bits. My third tested ended with my own ship firing on its own decoy... At this point the weapons are so horribly broken that I don't even know why they're added in the first place. Probably just an attempt to cash in on "creativity and weapons in space".

- AI? There is none. No, the enemy ships flying in a straight line and shooting at you doesn't count.

- Lighting: It wouldn't be the worst thing if the helmet light was brighter. The shadow cascades need some work - if you go far enough from an asteroid - not all that far - the shadow it casts will disappear. I understand that cascaded shadow mapping has its limits, but come on, you can try harder than that.

- Creative mode: Yea, that's nice. You can add blocks and your reactors function without fuel, but not your weapons. In fact, there's no in-game access to items in creative mode other than making them the way you would in "Survival mode".

- Survival mode: If you die, you respawn with a full set of tools and if your old spawning ship got badly damaged / destroyed, you get a new one. Deconstructing your ship and dying almost becomes a better way of mining resources than actually mining resources.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Click and drag is a pain - if often selects the item next to the one you're trying to drag

That's why I never use that. I use right click or double click instead (depending where). :p

And there are no crashes when exiting to menu for me.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's why I never use that. I use right click or double click instead (depending where). :p

Double click works in some cases, but as far as I can tell, it can only transfer stuff to the inventory of the block you're accessing. Right click and drag suffers from the same problem that left click does.

Still, I could tolerate the occasional crash and the nuisance of the interface if the game itself was any good. Currently the survival element of it really offers no survival elements. Yes, you can die, but there are no heavy penalties for death other than loss of inventory. You can only die from your stupidity or occasionally by being killed by the narrow passage ways.

Minecraft is a survival game - as bad as it may be in that aspect - because Creepers and such come after you. But in Space Engineers, you have to seek out death. It doesn't come to you.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Double click works in some cases, but as far as I can tell, it can only transfer stuff to the inventory of the block you're accessing.

In areas where double click doesn't work (e.g. customizing toolbar), right click (without dragging) will.

Gerdih

Reaction score
Well, seems like I must check this again in some months to see if worths it! thanks for info RisingFury :)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Another note about dedicated servers, since FRIENDS option for them is equal to PUBLIC at the moment, because you can't set the server owner's steamID64 for getting user's friends list right now, but only group's groupID64 for group members list.

If you aren't an administrator of the group which members you want to allow access to your server and you don't know its ID64 but only the name, you can get the groupID64 of that group by using such URL:
Code:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/[b]<group_name>[/b]/memberslistxml/?xml=1
The group's ID64 is at the beginning of the document inside (you might have guessed) <groupID64> tag.

E.g.: Unofficial Orbiter-Forum Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/orbiterforum/memberslistxml/?xml=1

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a pronounced lag while placing blocks lately? Movement becomes nearly impossible while in that mode now. :huh:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Has anyone else noticed a pronounced lag while placing blocks lately? Movement becomes nearly impossible while in that mode now. :huh:

no, here is all fine... only a delay when autosaving.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
No problems with lag when placing blocks here, either.

The only non-network related lag I have is when a new meteoroid shower event starts.

only a delay when autosaving.
That autosaving delay can be eliminated completely if you still want to autosave every 5 minutes when you play on a dedicated server, but since 01.033 there's some new server synchronization lag, which wasn't present in 01.032 (earlier you weren't teleported back to your previous location after waiting for response from the server - you were probably teleported for the other people to your new location instead, but now your position is taken from the server for resynchronization). It's rather related to network and not saving process on the server, because it doesn't happen for me every 5 minutes but rarer.

The only downsides of playing on a dedicated server for me is that I need to remove all valuable items from the personal inventory before logging out, and that the suit's color changes between sessions (player data isn't saved so far). But otherwise it's good when I need to wait for lengthy refining processes, when I can simply quit the game, and I don't mind that I will spawn next to my medbay instead of my last location - I usually log out when I'm back at my ship, anyway.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Update 01.035

Update 01.035:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4-i_jZqOq0"]Space Engineers - Transmit electricity through rotors, new world settings - YouTube[/ame]