Space Shuttle and Apollo simulator - files to download

Hoggorm

Reaction score
Hi again,

I'm still using Orbiter to learn. There is very much I do not know yet, but my goal is to be able to fly the space shuttle and the Apollo missions. Preferably Space Shuttle Fleet and NASSP I guess?

I have one folder that I just call C:/Games/Orbiter. In this one I place basically all I want to try out. Now I want to create two additional folders that I would like to call:

C:/Games/Orbiter SSF
and
C:/Games/Orbiter NASSP

These folders should contain an orbiter version with only shuttle fleet and Apollo specific addons.

So - over to my question:

What files should I download and install in each orbiter folder? I tried - just for fun - yesterday to download several Space Shuttle Fleet files from the Orbiter Hangar. But I must have done something wrong, because it all ended with a CTD when I started orbiter. The files I installed were the following:

Orbiter Edition 2006-P1, build 060929
OrbiterSound 35
Level 10 Earth
Shuttle Fleet V4.0.1
Shuttle Fleet V4.0.6 Patch
Shuttle Fleet V4.1.0 patch
Shuttle Fleet V4.1.1 patch package
STS-122 Scenarios for Exp Pack
GPCMFD V4.0.5
Landing Soundpack for Shuttle Fleet
LC-39 High Detail ver9
Hi-res Kennedy Space Center

The order is not correct, and I guess I've installed some files earlier than what they should have been..?

I'm basically wondering what files I should install - on a clean orbiter version - to get the best Shuttle and Apollo experience...

Thanks for helping!

--- Edit ---

While searching for some other information I came to this website:

http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/Project_Apollo_6.4_FAQ

Where at least half my question have been answered! Still looking for some answers on the other half though - if you can help me.

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net

Hoggorm

Reaction score
Thanks! Beeing a newbie that still is exploring. Would you reccomend AMSO or NASSP to start with (I know that at least NASSP is very complex, but I'm interested in having a look...)

Also - is there a similar installation guide for the Space Shuttle Fleet addon?

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Thanks! Beeing a newbie that still is exploring. Would you reccomend AMSO or NASSP to start with (I know that at least NASSP is very complex, but I'm interested in having a look...)

Also - is there a similar installation guide for the Space Shuttle Fleet addon?

Being a newbia that still is exploring, you should learn to fly the Delta Glider and familiarise yourself with Orbiter and basic orbital physics. ;)

But, if you're determined to fly the Apollo and STS, I'd reccomend starting with the AMSO, since it doesn't simulate the vessel subsystems operation, making it tremendously easier to pick up. Also has more (non-authentic) auto-pilot programs for the harder tasks (such as the final step of lunar landing, and the CSM-LM randezvouz in lunar orbit, not to mention better graphics and actual stuff to do while on the lunar surface.

Oh, and, looking at your list of addons, I'd just like to point out that, if you're looking to historically simulate the Apollo missions to any degree of accuracy, you'll need either IMFD or TransX to assist you in navigation beyond Earth orbit - particularly, for the TLI and TEI burns. AMSO was made with IMFD support in mind.

Hoggorm

Reaction score
Being a newbia that still is exploring, you should learn to fly the Delta Glider and familiarise yourself with Orbiter and basic orbital physics. ;)

Of coerce. I feel I have a fairly good hand on launching, docking and general orbiter use, with a large exception: I'm still struggling a lot with reentry (as I've nagged a lot about in other topics :( )...